Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 7)

Comments

• sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I really despair of the Corrie writers' contempt for the legal system. It's been going on for years. :(
  • caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Have kylie and david bought the house? Gails playing the lodger card but we havent had any indication that the mortgage has actually gone through? One minute a suits telling them the house is worth 90k, and the next minute gails locking cupboards and writing on eggs!

Shes refusing to sort the heating as shes just a lodger etc but surely kylie and david would have at least mentioned to someone or had a celebration drink after becoming home owners?

If they havent yet got the house then why is gail playing up? Whos paying rent and whats going on!

Well I would like to know the name of the Mortgage Company and Solicitor who can arrange exchange and complete a house sale in less than a week!
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Tyrone is badly in need of a decent lawyer and always has been. But this is soapland so that one`s out the window. What started out as a good and socially important story line is being ruined by hopeless writing.[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely.
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    Could Tyrone not get a court order to DNA test Ruby? I'm sure men who strongly believe they have fathered a child have some rights in the real world even if they don't in Corrie world.
    I don't think so without the mother's permission, unless he did it the same way that Kevin did with baby Jack.
    Have kylie and david bought the house? Gails playing the lodger card but we havent had any indication that the mortgage has actually gone through? One minute a suits telling them the house is worth 90k, and the next minute gails locking cupboards and writing on eggs!

Shes refusing to sort the heating as shes just a lodger etc but surely kylie and david would have at least mentioned to someone or had a celebration drink after becoming home owners?

If they havent yet got the house then why is gail playing up? Whos paying rent and whats going on!
    It's rubbish.
    Janet43 wrote: »
    With Kirsty being ex-police, she seems to be believed rather than anyone else. Does that really happen? So the story would be that he'd fail to get any legal rights.

The wedding story was supposed to enable Tyrone to apply for parental rights over Ruby as Kirsty's husband. If granted, and there's no guarantee they would be, he could then get a DNA test done legally.
    Fizzy's solicitor gave incorrect advice.

How did it happen that, although Carla just had to leave Weatherfield, couldn't bear living there, she has settled back in again as though that had never happened?:confused:
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading this ...

We seem to have yet another example of two actors on the payroll with the writers having no idea what to do with them next.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a SOR but annoys me, does Julie and Eileen have NOTHING else to do in their life? They are just around Kirsty all the damn time. Do they never work.

Jenna needed an 18-year old girl to help her put together a CV, Sophie has really only worked in the corner shop (on and off when it suits her) and doesn't look like she has a clue on doing that.

If Gail says "I am just the lodger" one more time I will throw something at the TV. I understand what she is doing but she is just annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caroil wrote: »
    Well I would like to know the name of the Mortgage Company and Solicitor who can arrange exchange and complete a house sale in less than a week!

It seems that the writers can find no happy medium with the stories.

They either draw out a story for so long that it's original interest is long lost (as with the Tyrone/Kirsty story ...

or they race a story along so fast that it's open to ridicule (as with the Platts, where ownership of the house seems to have changed hands with the snap of fingers).
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. And what about medical records when Tyrone went to hospital after Kirsty smashed his arm in the door?

Yes, of course that would be another example. And Kirsty's unkept appointments for her anger management sessions, though maybe those would be confidential.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a SOR but annoys me, does Julie and Eileen have NOTHING else to do in their life? They are just around Kirsty all the damn time. Do they never work.

Jenna needed an 18-year old girl to help her put together a CV, Sophie has really only worked in the corner shop (on and off when it suits her) and doesn't look like she has a clue on doing that.

If Gail says "I am just the lodger" one more time I will throw something at the TV. I understand what she is doing but she is just annoying.

I do think it's a SOR that Eileen is involved in the Kirsty tea and sympathy gatherings. Julie perhaps, because she's fluffy and silly, but the old cynic Eileen who hardly knew her before? Very unlikely.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The whole house changing hands saga is a complete mystery. I think it changed hands from one scene to another, just to so that Gail could start her 'I'm only a lodger' sequences.

I just wish it were that straight forward to buy a house in real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered why I wasn't getting notifications of posts to this thread - and have realised that, even though this is a continuation of previous threads, I needed to re-subscribe.
  • FionnBFionnB Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Yes, of course that would be another example. And Kirsty's unkept appointments for her anger management sessions, though maybe those would be confidential.

And haven't they checked WHY she was sacked from their very own force?
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The whole house changing hands saga is a complete mystery. I think it changed hands from one scene to another, just to so that Gail could start her 'I'm only a lodger' sequences.

Because its a soap i wouldnt mind if it was quick and unrealistic as its long and boring in real life.

My problem is that we dont know if they have bought the house so the story doesnt make sense.

All that was needed was a celebration drink or them mention to audrey that the house was theirs. Just some indication that the sale had gone through.

At the moment im shouting at them not to give in to gail because the house is still hers. I was under the impression that they had a valuation but no offer had been made.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I completely agree, the whole thing is ridiculous!

Apart from the complete suspension of the reality of legalities in the Platt house, did anyone else notice the lack of steam in Gail's lamb stew the other night? :D She used her oven gloves to take it from the oven, placed it on a table mat on the table,and was even very careful to use the oven gloves for removing/replacing the lid, but not a bit of steam to be seen coming from the stew!
  • stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree, the whole thing is ridiculous!

Apart from the complete suspension of the reality of legalities in the Platt house, did anyone else notice the lack of steam in Gail's lamb stew the other night? :D She used her oven gloves to take it from the oven, placed it on a table mat on the table,and was even very careful to use the oven gloves for removing/replacing the lid, but not a bit of steam to be seen coming from the stew!

horse stew cools down really quickly
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    horse stew cools down really quickly

LOL! :D
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    I really despair of the Corrie writers' contempt for the legal system. It's been going on for years. :(

Some years ago, there was an article in one of the Legal magazines featuring a Manchester solicitor who was called in to advise on legal matters, to make those procedures, etc were properly shown. At the time, I posted a link to the article, but I'm blowed if I can remember when this was.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    When Ruby was born everything was ok with Tyrone and Kirsty she had her bat crap moments but no one knew. So how come none of the street seems to think its a bit strange that Kirsty didnt put Tyrones name on the birth certificate???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    CherylFan wrote: »

Fizzy's solicitor gave incorrect advice.

It isn't totally wrong; when you get divorced, even if your husband isn't the father of your kids, if he has treated the kids as his own during the marriage then the court has to approve the arrangements for them, and that includes contact with him.

I only know this because it happened during my second divorce. I wasn't even arguing about it, but it was one of the things that had to be sorted.

But Tyrone thinking that running off immediately after the ceremony would guarantee him contact with ROOBEH!!! was just daft.
  • emzi27emzi27 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No they mentioned a few times that they aren't her landlord yet.
  • MarcPaulBMarcPaulB Posts: 4,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or mentions the "box bedroom" :mad: It might have been mildly amusing the first time she said it - but after the 600th time, the joke, such as it was, has worn down slightly.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    I wondered why I wasn't getting notifications of posts to this thread - and have realised that, even though this is a continuation of previous threads, I needed to re-subscribe.

Off Topic I know and am sorry for this but...you can subscribe to a thread? How do I do this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FionnB wrote: »

It is presented as if it were an asset that she was one of their own, but since she was thrown out (though it turned very rapidly from suspension to sacking) it might have been a disadvantage. Would they believe a dodgy copper?
  • ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FionnB wrote: »

Ah but that would require a degree of joined up thinking that would far too sophisticated for the terminally inept clodheads of Weatherfield CID.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gail didn't want to sell the house to David & Kylie, ok she had money problems but surely she would have had an option to put it on the open market. No one put a gun to her head to make her sign the contract (if it has been done already) if she didn't want to do it, she didn't HAVE to.

The first payment on the loan would probably not even be due yet!
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off Topic I know and am sorry for this but...you can subscribe to a thread? How do I do this?
    Go to the top of the page and under the number of which page you are on it says "Thread Tools" Click on it then click on subscribe to this thread.

The easiest way is to write a post in the thread so you are automatically subscribed.

Edit: As this has appeared at the top just look right and up a bit on your screen.
This discussion has been closed.