Top Gear

Comments

• Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show tonight a bit more serious which I don't mind, Hammond at the end "But it might do" :D
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much, much better episode for me this week

I have zero interest in military vehicles, but found James May's report fascinating. Liked the challenge, loved the McLaren and Tom Hiddleston was brilliant :)
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    better this week.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy tonight's episode as much as last week's but there were plenty of good points. I've found their location photography, especially in recent series, to be stunning. Obviously, it'd take some skill to make Lake Como to look anything less than stunning but it still had an impact - and I thought it was all the better for having Jeremy turn up, randomly, on a quad.

The McLaren looked meh for the most part to me - bearing in mind that I'm more into American muscle cars and German V8 saloons than supercars - but the back end looks amazing.

Decent enough report on the vehicles in Afghanistan. The show can still do good informative features.

And finally, Jeremy's "at the end, I had a sausage like a beaver's tail!" - lmao.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different sort of episode this week. We've not had any Stig introductions this series yet have we?

I suppose this might well be weather related.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it, absolutely loved it!!

Perfect way to spend an hour on a Sunday night before returning to the grind tomorrow.........
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Different sort of episode this week. We've not had any Stig introductions this series yet have we?

I suppose this might well be weather related.

There's no doubt they would have put that Mclaren round if it wasn't so wet
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think it was that good, all of it was just 'going through the motions'...
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »

Last week : "He's not the Stig....but he IS the Stig's teenage cousin."
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think it was that good, all of it was just 'going through the motions'...

I'd agree.
    Apart from the guest it was all very "by the numbers" stuff. Liked the quad bike but otherwise more miss than hit this week. Bit of a come down after last weeks opener.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's why McLaren have been so poor in F1 recently.. they were busy designing the best road car ever.

That's what I thought - they've probably been spreading themselves too thin. As an F1 fan I could do without that.

Hiddles didn't do a bad lap in the VERY wet - I always like his interviews.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great episode.

Tom Hiddlestone has a career as an impressionist pending if he ever gives up acting!!:cool:

Loved the McLaren P1.

I never thought a car would make my jaw drop more than the Bugatti Veyron, but McLaren has achieved it with the P1.

Truly astounding.
  • Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Lake Come segment, must go there sometime, but how come the health and safety mad BBC let Jeremy out on Lake Como, on that superb looking machine, without a Life Jacket...
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    I loved the Lake Come segment, must go there sometime, but how come the health and safety mad BBC let Jeremy out on Lake Como, on that superb looking machine, without a Life Jacket...

Because he wasn't alone presumably. Nice to have a show, sort of fit for an adult audience, for once. Even my partner didn't leave the room or fall asleep during last night's one.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Because he wasn't alone presumably....

Indeed, he was with a Camera crew on the boat and helicopter which were filming him :D
  • shedmanshedman Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    So, so much better than last week. The Alfa was beautiful and Lake Como stunning. Great to see the P1 and the Spa circuit. Hoping to take my car there in a few months time, so praying it's a little drier than their visit. Very happy to see the focus shift back to performance cars and away from the disappointment of last week.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Great episode last night, the right amount of humour mixed with well presented informative pieces. How Jezza got away without using a crash helmet while on the quad I'll never know!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Great episode last night, the right amount of humour mixed with well presented informative pieces. How Jezza got away without using a crash helmet while on the quad I'll never know!

Because alongside him was the film crew boat which either had a diver in it or there would have been a rescue boat alongside ready to fish him out if he fell in.

I noted he didn't seem to have a cut out tied to himself either. I guess it was done to wind up the Daily Mail and the Guardian.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    He had the safety cut out. Not sure which part of him it was attached to though. Looked like lower down his body (trousers, boot?) so he could get on with his normal gesticulating.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't get me on one of those things withot a life jacket even with a rescue boat nearby.

I wonder if we'll get a repeat of the 'Winter Olympics Special' that they did some years ago. It was damn good and worth another view.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

I think a life-jacket would be more use than a crash helmet. Either way, unless you're acting like a total loon, a jet-ski is remarkably stable - at least, I manged to stay upright the one and only time I've ever tried one.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show last night and I thought all the segments were interesting. That quad/jet ski was one hell of a machine and in an absolutely stunning location, the photography was very good.

But I didn't see any tanks/offensive armour in camp bastion - just didn't want to show perhaps? They must have one or two tanks at least? If only for defence.
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a much better episode this week. It was like the Top Gear of 4+ years ago. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed last week's even if it was a bit childish but I much prefer when they do a serious show and the humour comes naturally. Even going by the comments on here, you can see how difficult it must be for the team to get the balance just right. They're never going to satisy everyone. Some people like the escapism of three middle-aged men doing childish things with forced and scripted humour, others like a factual car show. Personally, I hope they do more races between Jeremy in a car and Richard & James on public or alternative transport. The race from Alba to London with Jeremy in the Veyron and the other two in the Cessna was excellent!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I think a life-jacket would be more use than a crash helmet. Either way, unless you're acting like a total loon, a jet-ski is remarkably stable - at least, I manged to stay upright the one and only time I've ever tried one.

The crash helmet would be more use when it's a quad bike!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The crash helmet would for the sequence on land, several high profile people have suffered severe injuries after accidents on quads.

I wondered if he could have had a buoyancy aid under his shirt, there are some quite low profile ones available and it is only to get his head out of the water whilst the divers reach him.
This discussion has been closed.