Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    My licence fee is worth the same as yours.

Do not tell me on what I can and cannot comment on. It's supposed to be a public forum.

Some people get wound up too easily. Feel free to watch the next ep then tell us all how crap it was and it's not as good as it used to be :) looking forward to the comments from trev more than the episode next week :)
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Some people get wound up too easily. Feel free to watch the next ep then tell us all how crap it was and it's not as good as it used to be :) looking forward to the comments from trev more than the episode next week :)

I too can hardly wait.

Sorry Trev, didn't realise you were so sensitive.

Trev don't go

if you changed your name I might have been able to tell to to do something else
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »

I certainly shall do, though your invitation is not a prerequisite.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    My licence fee is worth the same as yours.

Do not tell me on what I can and cannot comment on. It's supposed to be a public forum.

Well said. Feel free to spend some of your remaining time on this earth watching a programme you can't stand and then moaning about it to complete strangers on an Internet forum.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gibman wrote: »
    its not about whether its scripted or not about car tests etc. Its just that its crap.

Some of the posters on here remind me of those people who like a band so insist on liking every track of every album they ever ever do regardless of the quality.

top gear=shit gear.
    Any reasons why you watch it then? If there's something I don't like, I tend to avoid it lol.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said. Feel free to spend some of your remaining time on this earth watching a programme you can't stand and then moaning about it to complete strangers on an Internet forum.

I need a new hobby so maybe I should start watching all of the soaps, Big Brother and the X Factor just so that I can moan to everyone about how crap they are. I've never even been into the soap or BB forums but I'm sure they are all friendly people ;-)

Then again, I could get a life.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Always amazes me how seriously some people take their TV viewing, defending their favourite programmes to the bitter end and telling others to naff off because they don't agree with them.

TG is okay, not brilliant, but not rubbish. I take if for what it is and have forgotten it by the next day. It fills an hour of my commute on iPlayer so for me it does it's job.

This isn't strictly true.

I think the kerfuffle has ensued because some people who insist that they have stopped watching the show, or somehow manage to just be flicking & catch the last 56 mins of every episode, every week, just to repeatedly come here & tell complete strangers that the show is rubbish.

Fine, if you don't like it, come on & tell us all your views, but it only needs to be done once if you think the show is that bad, because, presumably, you won't watch it again.

If you are a regular viewer, but don't like an aspect of a certain episode, then nobody will ever begrudge you your opinion, but proudly proclaiming that you no longer watch whilst slating the show with the same criticisms every week is just pointless.

I feel similar to you about TG; good light entertainment, but nothing more & certainly not worth getting vexed over.
  • Options
    ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Oh how I wish that I was easily pleased like yoursel,f as my life would be so much happier. I find virtually nothing funny nowadays. Must be an age thing?:(

Its quite simple really. You watch the programmes you enjoy, and you ignore those you don't.
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's program just went to show how staged things are.

I think Hammond falling off the horse was an accident but showing the minibus accompanying the 3 presenters on horses going to the next village to get fuel highlighted it as a pointless exercise. The driver of the minibus could have driven to pick up fuel and left the rest of the crew behind to ensure there was room for the fuel. I bet they even had enough fuel to get to the next village in their lorries even if they were low on fuel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Always amazes me how seriously some people take their TV viewing, defending their favourite programmes to the bitter end and telling others to naff off because they don't agree with them.

TG is okay, not brilliant, but not rubbish. I take if for what it is and have forgotten it by the next day. It fills an hour of my commute on iPlayer so for me it does it's job.

That's not really what goes on though is it? What's actually happening is that some people come on here week after week, complaining about Top Gear, they often go on to say that it's utter rubbish, a waste of tax payers money and that the only people that could possibly find it entertaining are clearly dumb and dumber's stupider brother.

That is what I actually what I rail against. I don't care if someone want to spend an hour of their evening watching something they hate, I don't even care if they come on here and tell all and sundry that they think the programme is rubbish BUT I do take exception to that same person calling me a thicko man child because I do like to watch it.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    That's not really what goes on though is it? What's actually happening is that some people come on here week after week, complaining about Top Gear, they often go on to say that it's utter rubbish, a waste of tax payers money and that the only people that could possibly find it entertaining are clearly dumb and dumber's stupider brother.

That is what I actually what I rail against. I don't care if someone want to spend an hour of their evening watching something they hate, I don't even care if they come on here and tell all and sundry that they think the programme is rubbish BUT I do take exception to that same person calling me a thicko man child because I do like to watch it.

Great post & 100% correct.

It's hugely insulting to be told that you're thick because you like a TV programme that someone claims not to like.
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moaners about the show and moaners about the moaners are both irritating but none should restrain themselves to express their opinions.
    Perhaps just on a new different thread and leave this one to talk about the show ;););)

I understand people who stopped watching after a few minutes, as the first half was very ordinary (apart from the reveal of what they bought). But the second half was much better.
    I will restrain myself from giving a final appreciation if this is better or not than other specials, since i only saw half of it.

Yes they are immature and it's scripted. But the fact is, i respect them.
    Because even if a 'stunt' is scripted, you still have to do it. Even if there was a crew following them to the north pole, they still had to go there. Even if there was a boat following them across the channel, they still had to cross it.
    These three guys have done many interesting things that many people would be proud to put in their biography. Many of those things at an age when most men wouldn't bother. And out of shape too, at least in the case of JC (i was wrong, he still looks like he's pregnant!).
    Speaking for myself, even if it was scripted, i would love to go on such adventures with my mates. And there would probably many times we would goof around. So i enjoy it mainly because of that.
    That doesn't keep me from spotting parts i like less and mention them here.
    Some might say they're getting too old but the same has been said of the Rolling Stones for the last 30 years.
    So to see older men than me go through all this for my entertainment, it kicks me in the butt on a sunday evening to get up and at least put the trash in the bin for the weekly passage of the collecting truck! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moaners about the show and moaners about the moaners are both irritating but none should restrain themselves to express their opinions.
    Perhaps just on a new different thread and leave this one to talk about the show ;););)

I understand people who stopped watching after a few minutes, as the first half was very ordinary (apart from the reveal of what they bought). But the second half was much better.
    I will restrain myself from giving a final appreciation if this is better or not than other specials, since i only saw half of it.

Yes they are immature and it's scripted. But the fact is, i respect them.
    Because even if a 'stunt' is scripted, you still have to do it. Even if there was a crew following them to the north pole, they still had to go there. Even if there was a boat following them across the channel, they still had to cross it.
    These three guys have done many interesting things that many people would be proud to put in their biography. Many of those things at an age when most men wouldn't bother. And out of shape too, at least in the case of JC (i was wrong, he still looks like he's pregnant!).
    Speaking for myself, even if it was scripted, i would love to go on such adventures with my mates. And there would probably many times we would goof around. So i enjoy it mainly because of that.
    That doesn't keep me from spotting parts i like less and mention them here.
    Some might say they're getting too old but the same has been said of the Rolling Stones for the last 30 years.
    So to see older men than me go through all this for my entertainment, it kicks me in the butt on a sunday evening to get up and at least put the trash in the bin for the weekly passage of the collecting truck! :)

I frequently watch these guy's get up to all kinds of stupidity and pretty much every time I think to myself "I'd love to do that" I'd do it for free! :)
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I frequently watch these guy's get up to all kinds of stupidity and pretty much every time I think to myself "I'd love to do that" I'd do it for free! :)

I haven't yet had the money to go abroad with my friends for something like this but we were inspired by the race across London they once did involving Jeremy on a boat, Hammond on a bike, James in a car and the Stig using public transport.

We've done a few races around the city against each other in groups of three or four. It's always been great fun and hilarity and daftness always ensues.

We're doing a race from John O'Groats to Land's End next year between us with some using public transport and some driving...having to make some specific stops along the way to even out the timing a bit. If the weather's nice we're going to stay in Cornwall for a few days all together at the end of it. All inspired by the show :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't yet had the money to go abroad with my friends for something like this but we were inspired by the race across London they once did involving Jeremy on a boat, Hammond on a bike, James in a car and the Stig using public transport.

We've done a few races around the city against each other in groups of three or four. It's always been great fun and hilarity and daftness always ensues.

We're doing a race from John O'Groats to Land's End next year between us with some using public transport and some driving...having to make some specific stops along the way to even out the timing a bit. If the weather's nice we're going to stay in Cornwall for a few days all together at the end of it. All inspired by the show :D

Brilliant! :D
  • Options
    CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    When one of the lorries knocked over that box of apples, the woman was blatantly trying to fleece the crew for far more than those apples were worth.

Admittedly, the BBC can afford it, but they would overcharge Western tourists just the same who might be on a budget and not able to afford such inflated prices.

Over-charing and rip-off tactics like that, seeing Westerners as cash cows, doesn't reflect very well on a country in my opinion.

Also, it was very poor of the people with the horses to loan out a stallion with a mare. Anyone who knows the first thing about horses knows that stallions should only be ridden by experienced riders in any case, and certainly not in the presence of a mare.

Did the owners of the horses not know this, or did they just not care as long as they get the money?
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    When one of the lorries knocked over that box of apples, the woman was blatantly trying to fleece the crew for far more than those apples were worth.

Admittedly, the BBC can afford it, but they would overcharge Western tourists just the same who might be on a budget and not able to afford such inflated prices.

Over-charing and rip-off tactics like that, seeing Westerners as cash cows, doesn't reflect very well on a country in my opinion.

Also, it was very poor of the people with the horses to loan out a stallion with a mare. Anyone who knows the first thing about horses knows that stallions should only be ridden by experienced riders in any case, and certainly not in the presence of a mare.

Did the owners of the horses not know this, or did they just not care as long as they get the money?

Hammond is a horse rider, don't know how experienced though. Still a very funny scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Excellent idea. I also loved the race they did against the letter and the one against the sun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epm-84 wrote: »
    Last night's program just went to show how staged things are.

I think Hammond falling off the horse was an accident but showing the minibus accompanying the 3 presenters on horses going to the next village to get fuel highlighted it as a pointless exercise. The driver of the minibus could have driven to pick up fuel and left the rest of the crew behind to ensure there was room for the fuel. I bet they even had enough fuel to get to the next village in their lorries even if they were low on fuel.

Wow, you're quick. You mean like the time May had to go to hospital when he got hit by the tow rope when they were supposed to be in the middle of the desert? or the time they were 'out of fuel' across Botswana and had to make an emergency drive to find a garage.

Oh and the north pole trip when they were near to running out of fuel, except we never saw the fuel drop they got (how do you think they ever got the vehicles back)

I'd never have thought these things were staged. I'm really shocked. Thanks for that. I'm also buying the Guardian tomorrow (it's the only paper that tells the truth) and I'm going veggie.
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, you're quick. You mean like the time May had to go to hospital when he got hit by the tow rope when they were supposed to be in the middle of the desert? or the time they were 'out of fuel' across Botswana and had to make an emergency drive to find a garage.

Oh and the north pole trip when they were near to running out of fuel, except we never saw the fuel drop they got (how do you think they ever got the vehicles back)

I'd never have thought these things were staged. I'm really shocked. Thanks for that. I'm also buying the Guardian tomorrow (it's the only paper that tells the truth) and I'm going veggie.

I was meaning it looked even more staged than usual by showing the minibus travelling with them. If they want to make it look even remotely believable then they need to hide the evidence that they are staging it.

Of course I knew that other stunts have been staged - idiot!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was in Bangkok last year and got talking to two Canadian guys in a bar. They said there were on their way to Vietnam to buy or hire two motorbikes so that they could ride from one end of the country to the other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't really think James May is a good enough actor to pull off what was very clearly a bad concussion and what also looked like a pretty nasty head wound...

Unless I've missed your point entirely (I mean it's gone 5:30 on a Monday, I'm practically cross eyed with tiredness), for which I will therefore apologise if I have
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, you're quick. You mean like the time May had to go to hospital when he got hit by the tow rope when they were supposed to be in the middle of the desert?.
    I don't think that was staged
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Watched it but found myself fast forwarding through chunks of it after the first 15 minutes, to get it down to half an hour, which was all it was worth IMO. As some others have said, this one was too long with too many contrivances. I missed the usual studio based format.

Next week I'll probably do the same, about an hour is all this was worth in total IMO, I found myself wanting to see the bridge building section by half way. Bit of an expensive waste for me but hey-ho, good that some liked it. Yes it's just entertainment, but it wasn't particularly entertaining this week for me.
    I have to agree with you and the initial posts on P.150 about this episode. I felt that there were some entertaining and fascinating parts (i.e.the military memorial, the part about that wide wide road, Burma landscape, etc) , and some parts which weren't funny or interesting (the post hotel part, Jeremy blocking the other on that narrow road, etc) and I did nothing or very little for me.
    It could have been cut down to at least 30 mins and I personally would have preferred their ordinary programme with the Burma part shown in two halves during the hour. That said, it wasn't a rubbish offering, and as someone else has mentioned, Jeremy himself said the second part is better, so I'm hoping the best has been saved for the last.
    charger21 wrote: »
    You dont have to be a Top Gear "hater" to have thought last nights show was rubbish
    This. I'm far from a hater, in fact I've hardly criticised it in the past, but that doesn't mean I have to adore every single episode.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Great post & 100% correct.

It's hugely insulting to be told that you're thick because you like a TV programme that someone claims not to like.

Not as hugemongously thick to watch a programme week after week that they hate.

I think it's an ego personality problem: They don't get enough attention in their real lives and so deliberately come here week after week to say "Look at me! I'm going to say it's crap just to get the attention I so badly need.".
This discussion has been closed.