Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    ggo85 wrote: »
    Even to a semi-novice such as myself, the medical stuff in DM ranges from incredibly accurate to downright comical. However, as noted above, this isn't at its heart a medical show -- and even "true" medical shows such as ER have to make concessions for the sake of TV.

Personally, I find the patient note cards kind of cute.:) IMO, as unrealistic as they may be, they really work well in the context of the show.

As to the privacy laws . . . those in the EU and UK put the HIPAA to shame. Very, very strict.

Thanks for the info on the UK privacy laws. I have always felt ours in the US lacking - even with our new found HIPPA laws. I continued to be interested in the lawsuit issue and did a bit of research - the suits are actually against the NHS and they assume all legal costs for any individual medical practitioner. Generally it seems that the UK is much less inclined to sue than here in the US. I just found it interesting that lawsuits had come up a couple of times.

And as for the medicine practiced here - you and others are correct - many of our US medical shows are MUCH worse in their depictions of true practice.

And to you in particular ggo85. I really enjoy the fan fiction.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding this episode, their listening to music in the park suddenly reminded me of LG's dream of spending time with DM in her dream heaven, in S1. Look at the similarities, and see if they make sense to anyone else.

1. They are sitting outside on the grass in a sunny day.
    2. They are "alone" as a couple, (though with other folks at the concert).
    3. They are sharing something more intimate than day to day life--in her dream, DM's story of the finch, in the episode, classical music.
    4. DM is relaxed--his jacket is off in the dream (ARF!), and he allows her to put a flower in his lapel.
    5. Then the catastrophe--the earth cracks open in the dream, and the ride home discussing her hormones in the episode, when she breaks off with him. In both of those crises she is still hanging on to him emotionally and cannot fully let go. We see he grabs her in the dream, saving her life, and he offers her marriage in this episode, and they end with a mutually life-saving hug.

Maybe LG has dream clairvoyance! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poll may be a bit late going up this Thursday as I'm going to be queuing to get Marina Sirtis' autograph (Star Trek TNG) and won't be home till late. (Oh and..... squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some thoughts. . .

4. Although painful, I find the scene in the car when they are coming back from the concert and Martin questions her about why she is cross very believable. I feel such sympathy for him when he truly has no clue, but is reaching out.

11. Why do I find them picking up the glass together after Holly is deposited in the ambulance so sexy?

12. After "Marry me!" was it better for them to hug than to kiss?

4. I feel sympathy for him too. He clearly doesn't understand what's gone wrong. He's trying to understand. Through his words to LG during the car ride, it's obvious he's WAY off the mark. He still doesn't seem to realize it was his words, once again, that caused the problem. In fact, after Louisa runs away after the kiss and he has to scurry after her, trying to catch up, he asks her if there's something else wrong. Poor man is so clueless.

He needs someone to spell it out for him, to clearly and calmly tell him when he's said or done something inappropriate, even to explain why certain words are inappropriate in certain situations. As DM suggests to LG in S5 E1 when JH cries, "he needs you to teach him". Obviously our DM needs LG to teach him too.

11. Yes, I find it sexy too.

12. I find the hug to be more significant than a kiss. It's so intense. It shows us the depth of their feelings for each other much better than a kiss. I hope to see more hugs, or at least a hug, in S6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    3. Waking up in his suit tells just how shaken he was by Louisa's comments. Here is a man who's very existence is structured and rule based and he is now so emotionally traumatized that he cannot manage even the basics. This for me held more impact than his red-rimmed eyes.

Yes, this scene definitely illustrates how traumatized he is. In fact, it appears to me that he hasn't slept at all. It looks to me that he's lain there paralyzed throughout the night.

I think you're probably right about the impact of this scene. Those watery, red-rimmed eyes though, wow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    PS

It is as though he is offering her his heart, on a plate...

Right! His broken heart on a plate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed before the scene where they carry Holly back to the house -- Louisa in the lead, as chief mourner, then Holly carried as on a bier, then behind them the whole funeral procession. Very witty.
    11. It took me a couple viewings before I realized the picking up of the glass pieces was great symbolism "picking up the pieces" of their relationship and foreshadowing the resumption of the relationship. Just didn't expect it to be in the form of a proposal (a huge step forward).

You've both got me thinking. It's so rewarding to hear everyone's take on things.

For example, it had occurred to me that the transporting of Holly through the village was done like a funeral procession and I wondered if that might be symbolic of the death of DM and LG's relationship. I hadn't realized, though, that this all comes full circle. From funeral procession to the picking up the pieces of their broken relationship as together they gather the bits of glass in LG's kitchen.

Very cool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. I crack up at his running away. It is so touching and yet so funny. So little boyish, so panicky, so I-suddenly-have-no-idea-what-I'm-going-to-say, so shy, so insecure. It gets me multiple ways every time.

Then there's "The Look" during the concert. Then getting up the nerve to hold Louisa's hand and looking so proud of himself for doing so and proud to be with her. And oh, the ever so slight curl to the hair on the nape of his neck when Louisa pulls him into the trees. Sigh............

The best dramedy exchange:

"Do you have a gambling problem?"
    "Yes, I don't win anymore."

Best Doc quote this episode:

Holly: (when she's clearly down for the count) "I've got to be in Bude by 5."
    Doc: "Not today."
    Holly: "I don't have any choice."
    Doc: "Up you get then."

I think if I had to choose one episode as the best of the series so far, it would be this one or the non-wedding one at a dead heat. Such great writing and acting.

SusieSagitarius, yes, his knocking and then running away gets me every time. It's funny, but it's also significant. I think we've definitely got a case of arrested development here. Poor guy behaves just like an adolescent boy. I suspect that during his teenage years he didn't have the opportunity (or the bravery or whatever) to learn, as most of us do, through goofy teenage relationships. In his med school relationship with Edith, I'm sure she called the shots, made the decisions. Now, in this episode, we see him blatantly behaving like a 13-year-old boy.

The sort of crooked little satisfied smirk (that may not be the right word) on his face after he works up to courage to take LG's hand shows us this too.

Hey, the back of his head with the slight curl to his hair, OH MY!

Good choices for best dramedy exchange and best Doc line.

Regarding the dead heat between this ep and the non-wedding ep, I vote for this one. It's absolutely got everything. Tragedy, pain, joy, confusion, anger, happiness, emotions, humor, symbolism, highs and lows, including the all-time highest high of all five years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Regarding this episode, their listening to music in the park suddenly reminded me of LG's dream of spending time with DM in her dream heaven, in S1. Look at the similarities, and see if they make sense to anyone else.

1. They are sitting outside on the grass in a sunny day.
    2. They are "alone" as a couple, (though with other folks at the concert).
    3. They are sharing something more intimate than day to day life--in her dream, DM's story of the finch, in the episode, classical music.
    4. DM is relaxed--his jacket is off in the dream (ARF!), and he allows her to put a flower in his lapel.
    5. Then the catastrophe--the earth cracks open in the dream, and the ride home discussing her hormones in the episode, when she breaks off with him. In both of those crises she is still hanging on to him emotionally and cannot fully let go. We see he grabs her in the dream, saving her life, and he offers her marriage in this episode, and they end with a mutually life-saving hug.

Maybe LG has dream clairvoyance! :)

Very good points. I hadn't really considered the similarities before, but you're right. In the dream, they're seated on the ground, on a blanket. They're drawn to each other and almost get there when the earth opens up and separates them. In the end, LG needs DM to rescue her, and he does.

The structure of the dream is very much the structure of this episode. You're so smart! You're all so smart. Thanks so much for the insightful comments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The ever-growing enormousness of Downton Abbey (ITV) inevitably inspired a flurry of monocled arrivistes (The Paradise? Titanic? Begone, upstarts!), while Scott & Bailey (Sally Wainwright again), The Bletchley Circle and the brrrr-inducing Daphne Du Maurier adaptation The Scapegoat suggested primetime ITV1 drama need not necessarily entail six hours of Martin Clunes sighing at a kitchen table."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The ever-growing enormousness of Downton Abbey (ITV) inevitably inspired a flurry of monocled arrivistes (The Paradise? Titanic? Begone, upstarts!), while Scott & Bailey (Sally Wainwright again), The Bletchley Circle and the brrrr-inducing Daphne Du Maurier adaptation The Scapegoat suggested primetime ITV1 drama need not necessarily entail six hours of Martin Clunes sighing at a kitchen table."

I beg to differ.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Guardian does do snide well. But I'd personally take 6 minutes of Martin Clunes sighing at a kitchen table over 6 hours of Downton Abbey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    SusieSagitarius, yes, his knocking and then running away gets me every time. It's funny, but it's also significant. I think we've definitely got a case of arrested development here. Poor guy behaves just like an adolescent boy. I suspect that during his teenage years he didn't have the opportunity (or the bravery or whatever) to learn, as most of us do, through goofy teenage relationships. In his med school relationship with Edith, I'm sure she called the shots, made the decisions. Now, in this episode, we see him blatantly behaving like a 13-year-old boy.

The sort of crooked little satisfied smirk (that may not be the right word) on his face after he works up to courage to take LG's hand shows us this too..

I agree, Biffpup! I would add to your list the little embarrassed smirk upon spending the night with Louisa when the postman signals thumbs-up, and as he's ascending the stairs when Pauline inquires "sleep well?" Or the embarrassment when he first sees Louisa breast-feeding. What are some others?

I do hope some element remains of this in S6 - so he's not certainly stuck at 13, but he doesn't just fast forward to a grumpy 70. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Biffpup! I would add to your list the little embarrassed smirk upon spending the night with Louisa when the postman signals thumbs-up, and as he's ascending the stairs when Pauline inquires "sleep well?" Or the embarrassment when he first sees Louisa breast-feeding. What are some others?

I do hope some element remains of this in S6 - so he's not certainly stuck at 13, but he doesn't just fast forward to a grumpy 70. :eek:

In next week's re-watch episode, Martin becomes alarmed and calls Louisa to tell her, "People know we're engaged", as if it's just now occurring to him that this isn't something he can keep hidden. I get the feeling his preference would be to keep it quiet, like a boy who doesn't want the world to find out he has a secret crush.

In the meantime, the other side of that phone call is so funny, Louisa talking to him with the huge "Congratulations, Miss Glasson" banner in the background.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    The Guardian does do snide well. But I'd personally take 6 minutes of Martin Clunes sighing at a kitchen table over 6 hours of Downton Abbey.

I agree with you.
    BTW I don't think our reviewers are ever as mean as this in Australia. I really hate it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »
    The poll may be a bit late going up this Thursday as I'm going to be queuing to get Marina Sirtis' autograph (Star Trek TNG) and won't be home till late. (Oh and..... squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!)

I did alot of ST:TNG collecting back in the '80's/90's and attended alot of the important conventions to nab rarities and collectables. At first anniversary of ST:TNG convention in L.A. I became very 'thankful' for my (at that time) habit of smoking. I was out in the parking garage of the hotel having a smoke and Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart walked through the door to go to their cars. I had just purchased a copy of the script to '11001001' which they had mentioned was their favorite episode from the first season. They saw me there and said hello, I said Hello, apologized for being an 'evil smoker' and told them I agreed with them about that episode for it (to me) showed the great potential of the (then) new series. We chatted for a couple of minutes and they said they had to get going but asked if I would I be so kind to let them see the copy of the script I had just purchased. I handed it over and they then both signed it. I did not ask them, they just did it! I thanked them very kindly (no squeeing) and wished them a wonderful day because they just made mine wonderful. I went back into the convention to my friends and showed them the script and they were all congratuating me on getting the autographs and asked me if I had any spare cigarettes so they would have a reason to 'troll' the parking ramp.

The best collectible I have is "Star Trek: The Next Generation" by Al Hirschfeld.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

Not surprising considering the source. The only thing the Guardian is good for is wrapping fish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I found Eddie Rix's house! I kept studying the view behind him in the bedroom scene :eek: I was pretty sure you could see the Headlands Hotel and today I was able to verify that. So I had a pretty good idea where the house must be in Port Isaac, but a lot of the streets there don't have street view (when Martin is running up the driveway there is a good view of the house across the street). I finally decided that there was a good chance it was on Lundy Rd, so I googled the street name and clicked on Images. There was a house for sale that looked promising and there it was. There is even a pic of the bedroom window from the inside and it pretty well matches. Even the backyard has the decorative blocks we see in the episode. Yippee!

Check out the website about the house:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/9a-lundy-road/port-isaac/pl29-3rr/3858294

So it's at Port Gaverne, or thereabouts, right? I never would have guessed. Good detective work, once again!

The place definitely needs some work, especially some updating, but look at all of those windows overlooking the sea! Maybe if we all pool our money....
    Forum Member
    You've both got me thinking. It's so rewarding to hear everyone's take on things.

For example, it had occurred to me that the transporting of Holly through the village was done like a funeral procession and I wondered if that might be symbolic of the death of DM and LG's relationship. I hadn't realized, though, that this all comes full circle. From funeral procession to the picking up the pieces of their broken relationship as together they gather the bits of glass in LG's kitchen.

Very cool.

I actually wondered if they were mimicking something from another movie or event- they stick little things in from other shows and events all the time.

The line where DM is treating the man who thinks he is gay - they use the line from Seinfeld - "not that there is anything wrong with that", locked in the cupboard under the stairs"- from Harry Potter - and I know I have noted others, just can't think of them right now.

Can anyone think of a famous funeral procession????
    Forum Member
    In next week's re-watch episode, Martin becomes alarmed and calls Louisa to tell her, "People know we're engaged", as if it's just now occurring to him that this isn't something he can keep hidden. I get the feeling his preference would be to keep it quiet, like a boy who doesn't want the world to find out he has a secret crush.

In the meantime, the other side of that phone call is so funny, Louisa talking to him with the huge "Congratulations, Miss Glasson" banner in the background.

Even better when she hangs up the phone and turns to her coworker in that conspiratorial little voice and says "my fiance"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hello, dmbesotted. I'm a physician but in America, not England. I've mentioned before those medical oddities you bring up, as well as the tiny goofy chart noting, and of course the very abbreviated physical exams, and whatever. We have to realize this is not a medical show, but a comedy drama about a TV doc and allow those indiscrepancies, although medical people will notice them. I mean, we never see any blood being spun down, either, etc.

I've mentioned that if the show was in real America, there would have been lawsuits by the dozen in some of the episodes, more so than the Wenns again AJ. The Oakwoods likely would have sued Tom Tom's previous owner for getting their son sick. The biggest set of lawsuits would have come from multiple families against LG and the Primary School for allowing so many children to be poisoned by an inept janitor.

But, if we brought reality into TV fiction, then one day during a scene with DM alone writing charts in his desk in the surgery, you'd see me dash him, plant a kiss on his lips and dash out with cameramen and directors and grips and so forth chasing after me. :)

You know if the janitor incident had happened in Australia the parents would be more concerned abou tthe fate of the janitor than even bothering to consider suing. It is just not on our radar at all.

Also our medical exam appointments can be just as short as DM. 10 mins max for a short consultation. If you go over you pay more.

Also our GP's don't take blood. THey order the test and you go to a blood lab and they take the blood with the same method Pauline uses.

I am not trying to be critical of Americans but I am trying to explain that not everything works the same as it does in America.

What did really upset me was when a survivor (their parents really) of the lastest primary school massacre sued the state for trauma about a week after it happened. Does this teach resilience or compassion? Couldn't they have put themselves out enough to consider the trauma to the poor families that lost loved ones? I know other Americans were offended by this too, so I am not generalising. But, this is the sort of story that gets reported here in Australia. I am sure there are a lot of nice stories to come out but this is what the rest of the world gets to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM actually sensibly compliments LG!!! “I’m sure you will look very nice.”

Great acting by Katherine Parkinson when her mother comments on her handwriting. Dawn is particularly awful. So critical and not a nice word to say to anyone. I love the scene: “Your stomach is bloated.” “It’s not really bloated.” “What would you call it?” Imagine if a doctor said that to you!!!

DM is astute enough about others to realise Pauline’s apology after his tirade about the wrong patient notes isn’t normal behaviour for her.

Love the bit where DM takes LG’s hand, love the kiss but can’t stand DM “spoiling it”. Totally understand LG’s reaction. I know it is his way to revert to “medical speak” whenever anyone gets close but...what a dill.

Excellent acting from then onwards by CC, MC (he plays devastation really, really well) and Katherine Parkinson. I think that is part of the really enticing thing about DM is that all the actors are really great. We criticise some of their dialogue, their clothes etc but there is never a time that I have thought gosh that is shocking acting. I am totally drawn into the show at all times. This can’t be said for other series, I am sorry to say.

Joan says you can’t change. DM says maybe you can’t but I can, if I wanted to.

Like the way they bring back characters like Mrs Poustie.

Best line of the show:
    Do you have a gambling problem?
    Yes, I never win anymore.

I found it a bit of a clanger in this episode for me anyway: Not the usual never explain typical of this show when LG says they need a door (to lift Holly), perhaps a driftwood one. I thought that dialogue was a bit heavy handed. When they brought the door LG could have said “Oh a driftwood door, how lucky.” Or something.

Love the proposal. Love the final hug : )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some thoughts. . .

8. Another genuine and funny vignette upon taking Holly to Louisa's house - where LG rushes to tidy up the bedroom and the Doc is testing the bed.
    cc.cookie wrote: »

I found it a bit of a clanger in this episode for me anyway: Not the usual never explain typical of this show when LG says they need a door (to lift Holly), perhaps a driftwood one. I thought that dialogue was a bit heavy handed. When they brought the door LG could have said “Oh a driftwood door, how lucky.” Or something.

I can see what you are saying statesidefan and I have watched it again but I still find it a bit of a clanger. Like NewPark and time frame concerning the dress in the last episode I just can't get over this scene.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Even better when she hangs up the phone and turns to her coworker in that conspiratorial little voice and says "my fiance"

A really nice moment of hope for the future. If only...:):):)
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I found Eddie Rix's house! I kept studying the view behind him in the bedroom scene :eek: I was pretty sure you could see the Headlands Hotel and today I was able to verify that. So I had a pretty good idea where the house must be in Port Isaac, but a lot of the streets there don't have street view (when Martin is running up the driveway there is a good view of the house across the street). I finally decided that there was a good chance it was on Lundy Rd, so I googled the street name and clicked on Images. There was a house for sale that looked promising and there it was. There is even a pic of the bedroom window from the inside and it pretty well matches. Even the backyard has the decorative blocks we see in the episode. Yippee!

Check out the website about the house:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/9a-lundy-road/port-isaac/pl29-3rr/3858294

I note that the Flint house from S2E3 is on your yet unidentified list. When I watched Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie I thought that the house he wanted to buy was that property - Anybody else???

Also, there is that segment on YouTube with Martin and Phillipa where they discuss the farm where the interiors are shot - they mention that they use the farm in the series and I thought it looked like Phil Pratts farm. Your locations show Phils farm and Rosscarrock farm quite a distance away noting that the interiors of the surgery are shot there. Have they changed locations?

Your dedication to this task is amazing and greatly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.