China's Yulin festival...did anyone know this existed?

Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
Forum Member
I know they eat cats and dogs in China but I didn't know they had an annual 'festival' where people gather to watch the slaughter of thousands of cats and dogs.>:(

As much as it upsets me I accept that dogs and cats are considered food in certain countries but why the HORRIFIC torture of these animals???>:(>:(>:(:cry:

There should be international pressure put on the Chinese government to stop this barbaric ritual!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3134200/Heart-breaking-image-puppy-unaware-skinned-alive-cooked-China-s-annual-dog-meat-festival.html

WARNING...Graphic photos in link.

Comments

• maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidently it started as a 'tourist attraction' ten or fifteen years back. (I think. I skimmed an article about it a couple of weeks ago.)

It was a way to get people to visit an area they'd otherwise skip because of the odd cultural practices.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Evidently it started as a 'tourist attraction' ten or fifteen years back. (I think. I skimmed an article about it a couple of weeks ago.)

It was a way to get people to visit an area they'd otherwise skip because of the odd cultural practices.

I only found out about this a couple of days ago when a link to an online petition appeared on my facebook page.

I must admit, I didn't look at the photos in the article I posted, I just couldn't because I know I would be haunted by them.

I have read about what goes on and that's enough!>:( Those poor animals.:cry:
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an interesting article from the Independent today about this..

Protest against the Yulin dog meat festival, but don't forget the 1.9m animals who are brutally slaughtered in the UK every month

The western distinction between dogs and farm animals is completely arbitrary

Just last month 1.9m animals were slaughtered in a barbaric practice that has existed for hundreds of years.
    The animals were beaten, electrocuted or even gassed to near-unconsciousness. Even though this is meant to knock them out, they are often still awake for what comes next – the throat slitting. They are strung up by their feet, and their throat cut from ear to ear, draining out all their blood. Sometimes the animals are still crying and kicking when they do this. Other types of animals are packed into huge crates, wheeled into a chamber and gassed to death.
    But this isn’t happening in some distant country – this is all taking place in the British meat industry.

There has been a huge outcry over the Yulin dog and lychee festival in Guangxi, a south-western province of China, and with good reason. It is thought about 10,000 dogs (and cats) will be killed during the festival for their meat, which is a delicacy there.

It is horrific – photos have been circulating online of dogs crammed into crates and cages on their way to Yulin. But if you have ever seen pigs or sheep being transported, you’d know they’re also squashed up against each other in tightly packed crates, and driven uncomfortable distances to be gassed and slaughtered. It's a similarly heartbreaking sight.
    Most meat and dairy-eating critics of the Yulin festival have said it’s not the fact that animals are being killed, but the “barbaric” way it’s done. So by that logic it would be acceptable if: the puppies were suffocated and ground up alive as soon as they are born, their throats were slit and their testicles cut off without anaesthetic, or the female dogs were forcibly impregnated so that the puppies could be slaughtered and the dogs could be hooked up to a contraption to extract the milk – when they stop producing milk they’re murdered. Because these are all accepted, “humane” practices from the British meat and dairy industries.

There’s actually no difference between Yulin and our meat industry, except quantity. 10,000 dogs will be slaughtered for the festival; almost 2m animals were slaughtered for meat in Britain last month, and will continue to be killed at the same rate.
    It's good to hear that brave activists in China have acted against the festival. Some of them have driven long distances to Yulin to buy dogs in person and save them from slaughter. Yang Xiaoyun, for example, travelled all the way from Tianjin in northern China and spent more than £700 to rescue 100 dogs. She’s planning to set up a home to look after the dogs and has been met with mainstream praise in the west. But where is the praise for western activists such as Gary Yourofsky? He's done the same thing and released imprisoned animals from farms and laboratories – but activists like him have never been met with praise. They’re branded eco-terrorists.

The western distinction of “dog = friend, farm animal = food” is a completely arbitrary and false one. In Guangxi, dog = food. So the sudden outrage at a Chinese dog meat festival begs the question – why are meat eaters so comfortable criticising cruelty in a country 8,000 miles away, while actively supporting equally cruel and far larger-scale animal torture closer to home? Even Ricky Gervais – self-titled “animal avenger” and the main campaigner against Yulin – is, to my knowledge, a meat-eater (although he has said that he doesn't eat red meat, "to rule out any cruelty").
    Anyone who genuinely cares about non-human animals won’t just fight against the injustices committed in faraway places. The only question you have to ask yourself is: do I care about animals? If you do, then it doesn't matter if its fluffy or cute, or if it's possible to own one as a pet. Slaughter is slaughter, and suffering is suffering.
    So by all means sign the anti-Yulin petition, but don't pretend that the worst animal cruelty in the world is happening "over there". It's here as well, and won't stop until we realise that it's as much our problem as China's.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. It's making the rounds because some celebrities kicked up a twitter storm.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Yes, my favourite charity (Animals Asia) has been campaigning against this for a while in addition to their campaigning to end the bear bile industry in China and Vietnam. The words of founder, Jill Robinson sum it up well imo:
    “We can’t begin say what effect the huge outcry has had. The interest in this year’s festival has far outweighed anything we have seen in the past both in China and internationally. We’ve seen this gathering disowned by the local authorities. Last year the number of dogs slaughtered dropped from 10,000 to 2,000. It’s reasonable to presume that those still defending the rights of dog meat eaters are an entrenched group wishing to defend a dying industry.
    “Speaking more widely - we believe that dog meat eating can’t last. It’s an industry built on criminality, social disharmony, threats to both human and animal health and has no concern for either customer or cruelty. It cannot withstand the growing spotlight that is being shone on it. The vast majority of dogs are stolen, often poisoned, are transported inhumanely and slaughtered under grossly unhygienic conditions. Those eating these dogs risk all manner of illness.”
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like how they've blurred out 'graphic' pictures of the same meat that fills the counters of butchers and isles of supermarkets. Very bizarre.

Obviously any animal should be treated well but I wonder how these conditions compare to the factories that most chickens are kept in, whether for their meat or eggs.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

'So by all means sign the anti-Yulin petition, but don't pretend that the worst animal cruelty in the world is happening "over there". It's here as well, and won't stop until we realise that it's as much our problem as China's'.

I think that woman must be a veggie or something because she totally ignores that the meat industry is regulated here and the examples she's given doesn't reflect all of it, the transport of animals has strict rules too.

Given what happens at the festival in China I doubt very much that their meat industry is regulated yet no mention of that, in fact no mention that they eat other animals at all.

'There’s actually no difference between Yulin and our meat industry, except quantity'.

Yeah right you dumb ass.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an interesting article from the Independent today about this..

Protest against the Yulin dog meat festival, but don't forget the 1.9m animals who are brutally slaughtered in the UK every month
    They are not tortured to death to increase the taste. China only started eating dog and cat meat due to episodes of mass starvation, they are not an efficient way of producing meat. There is also plenty of evidence of the high emotional intelligence of dogs & an evolutionary bond towards humans which makes it inherently a crueler act imo.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I first heard about it a few years ago. It's been all over the internet this year, which is a good thing! It's heartbreaking and these subhuman scum need to be stopped! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On twitter I read about this Chinese woman who goes around buying as many dogs as she can to save them from being killed, bless her.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    There’s actually no difference between Yulin and our meat industry,

I think that is rubbish. Whilst I don't doubt there is suffering by animals in our meat industry, which is upsetting, the people who work in our meat industry don't deliberately torture the animals and skin and boil them while they are alive!! >:(

This is not about eating one animal versus another animal...it is about the barbaric, deliberate torture of animals.

The people who carry out these atrocities are sub human IMO! >:(>:(
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »

I think that is rubbish. Whilst I don't doubt there is suffering by animals in our meat industry, which is upsetting, the people who work in our meat industry don't deliberately torture the animals and skin and boil them while they are alive!! >:(

This is not about eating one animal versus another animal...it is about the barbaric, deliberate torture of animals.

Totally agree, l find their attitude towards most things sub human, when they allow things like this to happen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1506469.stm

When they slaughter thousands of sharks just for their fins, when they are the major purchasers of poached Ivory, or endangered species are killed for their body parts so they can use them in their so called medicines mainly for sexual enhancement.

I expect torturing Cats and Dogs are small change to this sub species.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Life does seem to be fairly cheap out there.

It is a disgusting practice.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not eating chinese again, ever. I reckon we have all eaten some cat or dog before in some dishes. At my old house the neighbour said his cats kept going missing with no trace and he reckoned the chinese at the end of the road was killing them all in the area. I still ate chinese but not from there, but now because of this yuling festival im just staying away from chinese food as a boycott
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »

Exactly.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had heard about due to sites like liveleak covering it with videos yearly.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    Yes I first heard about it a few years ago. It's been all over the internet this year, which is a good thing! It's heartbreaking and these subhuman scum need to be stopped! :mad:

The internet is opening a lot of doors now with social media, which is a great thing, I certainly am learning a lot more about the world!
  • zedzzedz Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Simon Cowell tweeted it yesterday to his reality TV fans.

Unfortunately complaining to the chinese government isn't the same as complaining to ofcom
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    It's the latest thing to get outraged about but to not care enough to actually do anything about. It'll be something new next week. I don't really care what they're eating but the slaughter should be humane as possible and they shouldn't be stolen pets, which in this case they often are. But as China goes, there's much worse things that should be focused on first.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    It's not the eating of dog i have a problem with, it's just the theft of people's pets and the boiling them alive aspect.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said. It's not the eating of different types of animal meat, it's the way the animals are treated that bothers me. I have two cats as pets and don't think I could ever eat meat that I knew came from a cat. However, different countries have different traditions/opinions but mistreatment of animals is just wrong wherever you live.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    Im not eating chinese again, ever. I reckon we have all eaten some cat or dog before in some dishes. At my old house the neighbour said his cats kept going missing with no trace and he reckoned the chinese at the end of the road was killing them all in the area. I still ate chinese but not from there, but now because of this yuling festival im just staying away from chinese food as a boycott

Is that old chestnut still doing the rounds?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/oct/15/chinese-restaurant-dog-meat-myth
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the focus on the dogs being boiled alive, unless people have the same objection to the way lobsters are killed? In which case, worry about this going on in your own country before criticising the way animals are treated in others.

That is not to say I condone this festival. I just don't see the difference between the way animals are treated on farms here for meat, and nor do I see any difference between eating a cow and eating a dog. The amount of people opposed to this because dogs are kept as pets is baffling! I know people with pet ducks and chickens in this country, that doesn't stop them being bred for meat by others.

I'd be interested in the meat industry in China as a whole to be honest - is this treatment of animals being bred for meat "normal" for all animals or is it exclusive to dogs and cats? And if it isn't exclusive to them, then where's the outrage over the pigs and cows? Or are they truly considered lesser than other animals to those claiming the moral high ground over the Chinese who participate in this practice? The whole thing smacks of hypocrisy and intolerance of other cultural practices to me. I know this festival is a recent development, I'm referring to dog farming in general as a cultural thing rather than this festival specifically. With regards to the festival, of course I think it should be stopped but I wouldn't prioritise it over stopping cruelty to animals in the UK.

I don't wish to cause offence to anyone on here, and to be honest I have only skimmed the replies so far to avoid aiming my comments at anyone specifically (will read them now that I have that out of the way!). I have been reading people's opinions on this for the last few days across the internet which is what I am referring to mostly. It really bothers me that there are such huge double standards regarding boiling dogs alive and boiling lobsters alive, the way lobsters are killed has really upset me ever since I found out that is what happens ha.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not mind the aspect that they eat meat we do not, it is the inhumane treatment of the animal, I do not eat lobster but if I did I would expect ti to be killed pre cooking not boiled alive.

I would be equally upset at a cow being minced alive to produce my beef burger.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that no-one in China finds their animal abuse record appalling. Surely, groups have been set up to fight all this.