Options

Spybot problem

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi', I've no idea what I've down loaded! after scanning it identified 19 pieces of adware which it dispatched and I don't know how to establish if \i have down loaded the right software, windows did block some programmes on start up such as adobe but I bypassed this and they are running, | think! looks kind of normal! can't tell! will check back tomorow later on.

Good night!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newbee wrote: »
    Hi', I've no idea what I've down loaded!
    Malwarebytes should say "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" at the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Malwarebytes should say "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" at the top.

Hi Jzee, i was a biy tired last night, yes when in scan its has Malwarebytes anti-malware at the top in a blue back ground. I seem to have 2 shortcuts on my desktop, One has Mban set up short cut the other is quite colourful with Malwarebytes Antimalware with a small shield in it, everything seems to be working ok except last night at start up windows had blocked some files from start up but ther was a command to restart them, maybe alls ok now and thanks
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me that you have possibly mistakenly downloaded the fake "AV Security Suite" in which case you'll need to download a tool to remove it:

It's the only one I know that has a blue background and shield icon, there's a pic here and the removal tool:

http://www.virusremovalguru.com/

Malwarebytes desktop icon is a red box with a white M in it. When it opens, it should look like this:

http://www.2-spyware.com/review-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more.

None of these programs covers all the possibilities - was sorting out the brother in laws laptop last night, spybot identified some problems (with the hosts file), but malwarebytes didn't even begin to recognise them.

Best advice is to run a few of these programs and do regular scans with all of them.

Agree with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Sounds to me that you have possibly mistakenly downloaded the fake "AV Security Suite" in which case you'll need to download a tool to remove it:

It's the only one I know that has a blue background and shield icon, there's a pic here and the removal tool:

http://www.virusremovalguru.com/

Malwarebytes desktop icon is a red box with a white M in it. When it opens, it should look like this:

http://www.2-spyware.com/review-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html

This doesn't look like the Icon on my desk top or the page it displays when it is opened, I'll just have quick panic until I get home! The shield is displayed in the Icon.

The second link has got me worried as the download page looks nothing like the one I visited and i used a link from this site,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    The current version of malwarebytes is 1.46 and the download file should be mbam-setup-1.46.exe.

This is the one I downloaded last night, or could it be masqarading as the real thing. I'll post links to what I've got tonight if i can.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Mike stated Malwarebytes does not in real time so it will not conflict with any of your other software, you can download here.

I followed Jzee's link then the blue download box at the top right, then Downloading mbam-setup.exe
    If your download does not start soon, click here.

Is this the right down load? anyone.

I think its right as the advice is good on this site

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the correct one so you should be fine.

Don't forget to update it before you scan. Open the program, on the main interface look for the "Update" tab and click it. Click the "Update" button then let it finish. It'll confirm when it's done. Then click back on the "Scanner" tab and "Perform Quick Scan".

Any malware it finds it will delete automatically.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like malwarebytes.org has had a bit of a make-over. The logo has changed as has the colour scheme from when I last visited a few months ago.

Haven't downloaded it to see if the program itself has changed though. That will have to wait till I get home :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Jzee, i was a biy tired last night, yes when in scan its has Malwarebytes anti-malware at the top in a blue back ground. I seem to have 2 shortcuts on my desktop, One has Mban set up short cut the other is quite colourful with Malwarebytes Antimalware with a small shield in it, everything seems to be working ok except last night at start up windows had blocked some files from start up but ther was a command to restart them, maybe alls ok now and thanks
    OK they sound fine, run the updates on the updates tab as suggested before running a scan, it might be a good idea to run a scan in safe mode too (restart computer and tap F8 before the Windows logo comes up).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK they sound fine, run the updates on the updates tab as suggested before running a scan, it might be a good idea to run a scan in safe mode too (restart computer and tap F8 before the Windows logo comes up).

HI jzee, did an update and scanned in safe mode, all ok except the desktop icons and favourite list took a bit longer to load guess thats with having 3 securtiy systems, why do a scan in safe mode?

Cheers
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    My Malwarebytes looks like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    My Malwarebytes looks like this.

as does mine, so it appears I have got the right one, lets hope I'm now on top of this and i've taken onboard the advice supplied.

Thanks to you all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI jzee, did an update and scanned in safe mode, all ok except the desktop icons and favourite list took a bit longer to load guess thats with having 3 securtiy systems, why do a scan in safe mode?

Cheers
    Because it runs with minimum processes and generic drivers, so any nasties that might try to hijack anti-malware programmes in normal mode hopefully won't be running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because it runs with minimum processes and generic drivers, so any nasties that might try to hijack anti-malware programmes in normal mode hopefully won't be running.

Also, if malwarebytes detects malware in normal mode, it may not be able to delete all detections, as some may have been locked by the OS, i.e. the files are in use.

For really stubborn files, which can't be deleted, whether Windows is in safe or normal mode, try killbox.

http://www.killbox.net
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a common belief by many that Malwarebytes should only be run in Safe Mode. I've lifted the following extract from Bleeping Computer's forum, one of the best for dealing with problems with malware, viruses etc

I quote:

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. Why? MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode.

Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM.

Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally, update the database definitions through the program's interface (preferable method) and try rescanning again.

The adviice continues as can be seen here. Post #7 by one of the Global Moderarors, "quiteman7" is the one I'm referring to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there, I was showing someone at work the site for Malwarebyte's and clicked the download from their site and it displayed a different page from the one I used the other night, do they use different sites for download? this raises more doudts.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    There seems to be a common belief by many that Malwarebytes should only be run in Safe Mode. I've lifted the following extract from Bleeping Computer's forum, one of the best for dealing with problems with malware, viruses etc

I quote:

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. Why? MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode.

Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM.

Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally, update the database definitions through the program's interface (preferable method) and try rescanning again.

The adviice continues as can be seen here. Post #7 by one of the Global Moderarors, "quiteman7" is the one I'm referring to.

Cheers for sharing. I've only run MB in normal mode and as of yet no detections so far have been made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do they use different sites for download? this raises more doubts.
    Yes they do, nothing to worry about:). It might be worth doing a hijackthis log though, you can post here or on spywarewarrior forums for more expert help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Jzee, thanks for the info, I'll try your suggestions if I think somethings wrong later

Cheers
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I have now installed "SuperAntiSpyware" on my W7 and XP machines. It only found 3 tracking cookies and seems happy enough along with Avast, Spybot & Malwarebytes. They don't seem to be interfering with each other.