Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Radio 5 do this all the time, they bump some interview off the air to try to follow some breaking story where all we get is their some half wit interpreter trying to murder the English language or dozy hacks asking pointless questions often off mic so we can't even hear.

It's the same with the TV news, why do they have to go live to a reporter who just prattles out something often on the end of a dodgy signal? Just record it get it right and play it recorded.

Radio 5 do annoy me on this, do we need to go live to Roy Hodgson spouting more inane bollocks? Just record it and play anything that is of interest after you've finished what you're doing.

It's really rude that they do that, I remember Richard Hammond and James May being on once and a lot of people wanted to ask questions etc, and I can't remember what it was but they kept being interrupted for some non story (some court case I think) every couple of minutes.

I'd have just got up and left.

It's a really bad habit that 5 Live have been in nfor some time, that has been commented on several times in this thread. As someone said earlier in this thread putting it much more succinctly than I could, they are confusing being a news station with being a rolling news station, that has to be first with breaking news.

They do not appear to realise that here is actually merit in sparing us interruptions to share poor quality, inaudible happenings, and instead provide a more considered, detailed report a few minutes later. They can also save the cost of sending reporters to stand in the dark outside some lifeless location, which adds nothing to the coverage of the story.

However to do that sort of analysis would mean employing proper reporters and presenters, which appear to be pretty thin on the ground at 5 Live at present.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Lads mags are very much in the news at the moment. It's not just 5 Live giving them prominent coverage.

It isn't getting that much coverage elsewhere.
    I think you should be very careful about condemning coverage of the serious issue of rape in the way you have, by mixing it up with "feminist" or "women's sector" issues, as you put it.

That is the context in which rape is covered on 5 Live. That is why I included it. If they covered it the same way they cover robbery, child abduction or murder I wouldn't have included it.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    It isn't getting that much coverage elsewhere.

It doesn't take much of a Google search to find articles from the Daily Mail, Metro, Guardian and ITV News just in the last week.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't take much of a Google search to find articles from the Daily Mail, Metro, Guardian and ITV News just in the last week.

Did these media outlets pay Pryce and for that matter Stella English with our, licence fee payers, money though?
    Did not the new DG say he wanted us all to be viewed as OWNERS?
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Did these media outlets pay Pryce and for that matter Stella English with our, licence fee payers, money though?

My comment was in relation to the lags' mags story, although the Vicky Pryce story has also been picked up by a lot of outlets.

Did the BBC pay her? I very much doubt it. Willing to be corrected though.

As for the owners comment - there are plenty of people not on here who do not agree with your views. Should they not be owners too?
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't exactly put Stella English down as a charitably minded, selfless individual. I'd bet my last shirt button that the Beeb paid her a nice fee just like the papers have been doing as she told/sold her story to them about her skirmish with Lord Sugar and her subsequent 'bankruptcy'..
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Buzzfeed is pretending to be an independent, impartial news source. It's provides occasionally witty, occasionally sh***y content which is there to have a wee look at as you go on our day. And sometimes through humour tells some home truths.

I disagree with the argument that "this is not news". You can argue that it's not big news, it's not going to lead the six o'clock news, but it's what we in the industry would call a talker. It is of interest (admittedly not to yourselves) that she should speak out about her experiences/QUOTE]

the editor of buzzfeed does see himself as producing on-line news content against newspapers from what i got from the i interview.

I know you weren't citing them as news source but you did throw a link in to it explaining the categories of news etc.

But you can disagree all you like but Vicky price is not a news story, no its not 6 o clock news top story but its not even half way through or in the dead donkey slot either.

It is publisher PR guff pure and simple and a great job they've done with it getting her everywhere but that's all it is.....it is NOT news to hear of her experiences.....
    I may as well wait outside hmp dartmoor and when someone walks out record what it was like in there for them and send it to my local station to broadcast.
    No one cares about her or her foolish ex and if they did its still not news in any way it is not of interest.

To the interruptions mentioned above i agree totally,

so many times an interesting interviewee or piece I've waited up for has been trailed and it has been endlessly interrupted with pointless bits....and yes that includes "another wicket's gone".....

Some fascinating articles have often been ruined ...quite rightly stated above they are a news station not a rolling news station...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps about time Richard Bacon tried some different themes or ideas to run....the weekly news chart format is a bit old hat now....rachel Johnson made me laugh though ...bacon asking why go to Rio world cup... Rachel...Copacabana beach...christ the redemptor statue....beautiful girls in string bikinis...what else do you want? :D:D
    A breath of fresh non pc air. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that "two jobs" Botney singled out Richard Bacon when talking about presenters excessive pay -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10381207/BBCs-Alan-Yentob-admits-he-is-paid-a-huge-amount.html
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that "two jobs" Botney singled out Richard Bacon when talking about presenters excessive pay -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10381207/BBCs-Alan-Yentob-admits-he-is-paid-a-huge-amount.html

Thanks for the link.

I always enjoy reading the comments underneath articles such as this.

Sounds to me like Yentob and certain BBC radio presenters/talent :) ? on £250k-£300k a year think, because they are so up themselves, that they are all doing the licence fee payers a huge favour for only picking up that amount of ' pitiful ' money compared to the private sector.They really do live in another world.

Hardly anything seemed to have changed since Wall became controller at 5live.A few programmes moved around and the quite embarrassing Phil Williams at late evenings.Makes you think why that constitutes another large amount of money a controller obviously gets paid.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Could you recommend a good MP3 player to buy that is most suitable for radio podcasts please? :)

Sure, the best that I can suggest is how I do things. I've simply got an older 5th Generation iPod Nano, with a storage of 16GB, and iTunes installed on my laptop. This way I can get hold of a vast array of podcasts from all over the world, as well as all the BBC radio ones, and the amount of subject matter is awesome. I simply download a podcast of interest into my iTunes personal library. iTunes has a whole podcast section to browse, then plug my iPod into the laptop and in seconds it's downloaded onto the iPod/mp3 to take away and listen to whenever. It is so easy.

If you are only going to download podcasts to listen to then you will never get close to filling up a 16GB mp3 player. Once listened to you can either keep them or delete them. Talking books are also readily available, although these tend to cost a few pounds, but almost all podcasts are free. Going this route guarantees that you will always have something worthwhile to listen to on a subject that interests, from comedy to science.

Why waste time with the same old Radio 5 concoction of items only designed to give the listener chronic depression with the same subject matter time and time again.

Hope that was a little bit helpful. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks daytime five live is providing a good service should get hold of a record of around 1049 hours today Friday.
    Empress Derbyshire was interviewing a lucid gentleman when suddenly she cut him off. There was a silence and the rightly confused man asked "have you finished with me or jabe you gone to a new caller? " Misery guts went all indignant and said "I want to bring xxx in"
    Needless to say the broadcast went dead and xxxx never did get heard. The very embarrassed Derbyshire then tried to cover up by going to the traffic.
    I take it Derbyshite is not in Salford today..
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure if he was singled out as much, the debate took part during Richard's show which I imagine is why he was mentioned.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks daytime five live is providing a good service should get hold of a record of around 1049 hours today Friday.
    Empress Derbyshire was interviewing a lucid gentleman when suddenly she cut him off. There was a silence and the rightly confused man asked "have you finished with me or jabe you gone to a new caller? " Misery guts went all indignant and said "I want to bring xxx in"
    Needless to say the broadcast went dead and xxxx never did get heard. The very embarrassed Derbyshire then tried to cover up by going to the traffic.

Tell me something, Five Live clearly makes you angry so why do you bother listen? If something gets on my nerves I stop listening or watching.

I'm not having a go, I'm just curious.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me something, Five Live clearly makes you angry so why do you bother listen? If something gets on my nerves I stop listening or watching.

Thank you for your curiosity. I came from the Lifeboat staion put the car radio and it was Derbyshire on
    I had Rhod Sharp on in the night
    This truly awful presenter Derbyshite must be replaced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member

Totally agree,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darreldo wrote: »
    Totally agree,

Its only a small ask for Derbyshire Campbell smd Burden to be replaced.
    Pienaar, Peter Allen, Eleanor Oldroyd, pugatch champion fogerty danny baker rhod sharp morning reports wake up to money are all very good.
    Richard Bacon ok nolan so so
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually heard Derbyshire this morning & the incident radio4extracrap refers to. Indeed, it was rather rude & embarrassing.

But equally, I'm no fan of Allen, Oldroyd, Fogarty or Bacon.

Shelagh Fogarty's show could be so much better but she has turned into a mugfest.

Eleanor Oldroyd I find bland to the extreme.

But then again, people I hate have their fans too - all about opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only a small ask for Derbyshire Campbell smd Burden to be replaced.
    Pienaar, Peter Allen, Eleanor Oldroyd, pugatch champion fogerty danny baker rhod sharp morning reports wake up to money are all very good.
    Richard Bacon ok nolan so so

Its a small ask to replace presenters YOU don't like? Brilliant, an la carte BBC where we only get what WE want to hear.

Hold on, we have that already. My radio turns off and on and also changes station. Try it sometime.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a small ask to replace presenters YOU don't like? Brilliant, an la carte BBC where we only get what WE want to hear.

Hold on, we have that already. My radio turns off and on and also changes station. Try it sometime.:D

yes but the point of a forum is opinions on presenters and content.....i think we all know we can switch off...that's a given but defeats the object of discussing it here.
    If you are posting here that assumes you have more than a passing interest on what you listen to...as do the posters here.

If they never listened to the shows again they would be criticised for not giving it a chance or not allowed to comment on what they haven't listened to so sometimes they have to dip in and see if its improved at all.

Seriously, if taking part in a thread discussing a topic (in this case 5 live) the suggestion of the off button isn't really helpful or relevant.......

and of course in 5 live's case it is a PSB so we have every right to opine what we think would improve things to the schedule especially as we all pay for it through the licence...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point is that when you have people calling presenters hilarious names as "Derbyshite" it is clear that nothing will change that posters view of said presenter.

By all means moan about things but coming out with the same old tired comments every day isn't exactly productive. Nothing has ever been changed by comments by anyone on here.

We do all pay for it via the licence but that doesn't give us any right to demand presenter a,b or c is replaced because it isn't to your taste,
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By all means moan about things but coming out with the same old tired comments every day isn't exactly productive. Nothing has ever been changed by comments by anyone on here.

Hang on a cotton pickin' minute, you are hardly being productive yourself.

As lordloz states this is forum to discuss 5live.No one is making you read the same tired old comments every day if you don't want to, if you don't like what you read, why would you ? Go and do something else. Very much like you telling everyone to switch off the radio and then get criticized by some ' charlie ' for not listening to a programme properly or just ' reach for the off button ' while willing to pass comments on it.

Honestly some people take the themselves far too seriously ,its only opinions ......it ain't gonna change the world mate or is it intended to do. I enjoy reading all the different comments and opinions on here,even the ones I might disagree with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on a cotton pickin' minute, you are hardly being productive yourself.

As lordloz states this is forum to discuss 5live.No one is making you read the same tired old comments every day if you don't want to, if you don't like what you read, why would you ? Go and do something else. Very much like you telling everyone to switch off the radio and then get criticized by some ' charlie ' for not listening to a programme properly or just ' reach for the off button ' while willing to pass comments on it.

So if I don't like what you lot are saying on here then I should "go and do something else", but you take the hump at me suggesting likewise for the Five haters?

Somewhat contradictory don't you think?

Not to worry though, I will leave the haters club to their own little bitchfest.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if I don't like what you lot are saying on here then I should "go and do something else", but you take the hump at me suggesting likewise for the Five haters?

Somewhat contradictory don't you think?

Not to worry though, I will leave the haters club to their own little bitchfest.:D

no.... Cyril makes some good comments on here he is rarely contradictory and often makes decent measured comments - i think he was pointing out you clearly totally disagree with any objection to 5live presenters by posters and offer nothing constructive so you may as well leave....

i dont' recall anyone calling VD "derbyshite" here ever on this thread even when there have been very very negative comments are about her name calling is rare......and we do indeed have a right to request PSB presenters be changed it's a service we pay for...

there's no bitchfest just discussion not sure quite where you're coming from but i agree and disagree with people here but usually it's light hearted and pleasant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    i dont' recall anyone calling VD "derbyshite" here ever on this thread even when there have been very very negative comments are about her name calling is rare......and we do indeed have a right to request PSB presenters be changed it's a service we pay for...

So I guess the BBC would have NO ONE on the radio or TV if everyone felt it was their right to demand someone they hated was sacked?

As for "Derbyshite" comments, can't be bothered searching too far but on this page alone....
    This truly awful presenter Derbyshite must be replaced.

Cheerio!:D
This discussion has been closed.