Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louisa's reaction was similar to the one she had when Martin said she wouldn't make him happy after they failed to marry. Louisa seems to think that she has no problems, and that her very existence should make Martin happy It is Martin who ihas problems in their marriage. Louisa needs some self reflection in the next series

Yes, exactly, Bloodphobia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I, too, interpret the scene that way. In the past after a crisis both of them tried to forget all the issues between them. In the transitions between S4-S5 and S5-S6 they pretended like nothing had happened before the "rescues". So when she says they can't pretend like their problems never happened, I think she is acknowledging that she has had a part in creating the dynamic between the two of them.

I think she is surprised by his reaction that he "doesn't want that either" because a few days prior he didn't even realize there was a problem between them. She is surprised - in a good way - by his apparent awakening and acceptance that the relationship isn't healthy.

I love the little exchange when the nurse is trying to get Louisa to eat or drink something. When Louisa asks for her husband, the nurse says he's not there but the surgeon would be there in a few minutes. The nurse doesn't realize Louisa is married to the surgeon.

I'm not sure I can agree Martin didn't realize there was a problem with him, and with their relationship. I think he did know that. But, was unable to do anything about either of them.

I think DM's career of medicine has promoted some very bad qualities in his life. That is, if he was having a bad day, or was grumpy or belligerent at the hospital, nurses and staff and perhaps fellow colleagues/residents had to put up with him, even patients, and did so, because he was so good at what he did, saved so many lives, and brought such high esteem and respect to their hospital. Aside from a bad childhood, his career likely also allowed him, (or even enabled him) to continue with not dealing with emotions, moods, and so forth, or recognizing them. And, of course, he smothered all personal emotions for the job.

To then come to PW, and wind up loving someone, and then having to realize that he cannot just plow through his life, and has to take this other person into constant, serious consideration, (and his son), what she feels, what she needs, is a huge transition for him at 50 years of age (or so).

His changes need to undo his childhood and the career he chose which enabled him to live as he wished, at any moment, and allow his medical skills to smooth the way for him day by day.

What's interesting is that LG has always been attracted to him due to his medical skills. But, now, she requires him to continue with that, but to evolve into a different person wielding them.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms_Sarah wrote: »
    Mofromco says: Upon further reflection...and with guidance, they will both realize what was happening and Sarah, even though it would be heinous in some viewer's minds, I wouldn't rule out a breakup at the end of S7 although it might mean heightened security at Buffalo Pictures office in London. That would be profoundly sad.

Okay, you are joking about the heightened security, right? ;-)

Will the show go beyond S7? Interesting.
    I wouldn't rule out a breakup, either. Actually, I believe that they will be living separately when the story resumes. It makes better storytelling while this couple goes through the therapy process.

I agree Sarah. it makes for a better story, though I think if you wanted to repair a marriage it might be better to be living together. Living apart smacks more of Martin trying to get her to return, which is clearly a more dramatic story line, tho one that prolongs the suspense as long as possible.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I expected the writers to tug viewers along through S 6 to the wedding. I cannot begin to guess how S 7 will open! But in both of the marriage sequences, Martin was was vaginally involved -- first with the birth of Isobel's baby, then for the real wedding, the gyno exam

If S 7 begins with a prostate exam, that could be telling
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Well put, Bloodphobia
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expected the writers to tug viewers along through S 6 to the wedding. I cannot begin to guess how S 7 will open! But in both of the marriage sequences, Martin was was vaginally involved -- first with the birth of Isobel's baby, then for the real wedding, the gyno exam

If S 7 begins with a prostate exam, that could be telling

Don't get your drift...but maybe.....
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/TV-Martin-Clunes-Arthur-George/story-26069388-detail/story.html

A comment about DM at the end.

He's happy with his continuing work on family comedy series Doc Martin, however, in which he plays the titular gruff surgeon.

Shooting on the seventh series begins in March. "We'll do it as long as they want it," he says. "Doc and Louisa have to have marriage guidance... we've got to get them fixed."
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming late to the party, but just want to say "Atta boy!" to robspace regarding his job offer and other interview.

Great discussion about S6 ending, and yes, New Park, I think you did get to a good understanding of that ending scene. But maybe that's just because that's the way I see it, too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coming late to the party, but just want to say "Atta boy!" to robspace regarding his job offer and other interview.

:)

Thanks to all for the congrats. Now am waiting for the lab results (pre-employment testing) and will likely start as a Mechanical Technical Writer week after next. Since the hiring manager had seen both my technical and non-technical (fanfic) work he was very certain that I can string words together.

Very certain that I can string words together, he was. Yeesssssss. (sorry for Yoda-Speak)

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    James Henry learning to talk, as does his father.
    Forum Member
    Rob - a success you will be!
    Forum Member
    Bodmin - very funny image of DM trying to get JH to say "da da" (over mama)

can you imagine if JH was a natural chatterbox? how funny
    and I love the idea of JH being dog crazy and bringing home a diff random dog every day...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bodmin - very funny image of DM trying to get JH to say "da da" (over mama)

can you imagine if JH was a natural chatterbox? how funny
    and I love the idea of JH being dog crazy and bringing home a diff random dog every day...

Carol, what a wonderful idea! That would be HILARIOUS if JH was 1) a chatterbox and 2) very extroverted, going up to strangers, etc, and being friendly with them....and 3) loved getting dirty.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    4). Refuses to eat fish
    Forum Member
    4). Refuses to eat fish

Hilarious!
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    5) JH is a climber, and Martin has to go to extreme lengths to baby-proof the house and the surgery
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6) only eats macaroni and cheese
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Carol, what a wonderful idea! That would be HILARIOUS if JH was 1) a chatterbox and 2) very extroverted, going up to strangers, etc, and being friendly with them....and 3) loved getting dirty.

Actually, I'd prefer JH to be just like DM (the simultaneous frown when Penhale asked DM for a drink was priceless). Besides, it would give DM an opportunity to see that children like him can be loved.
  • robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Actually, I'd prefer JH to be just like DM (the simultaneous frown when Penhale asked DM for a drink was priceless). Besides, it would give DM an opportunity to see that children like him can be loved.

7. loves dogs...especially henry...(our spaniel)
    8. loves bert
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »

Although I think the above suggestions provide much potential for humourous situations (let's add some sausages (bangers?) to that bowl of mac & cheese!), I think you're onto something here, BodminDM. If JH begins to show many of the same preferences and tendencies as his father, it could provide Martin with an opportunity to see the contrast between his own childhood, and one in which the child is loved and encouraged to flourish. What a boost it would be to Martin's morale to hear Louisa boast (and with a smile), "James is just like his father!"

Realistically speaking though, we as parents are often frustrated when our children exhibit some of the same characteristics as ourselves, particularly if those traits have any sort of negative association. For example, my daughter loves to keep any piece of paper (card, artwork, bookmark, etc) that has some sentimental value to her. This drives me bonkers, partly because it ends up all over her bedroom floor, but mostly because I have some borderline hoarding tendencies in the same area :o
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that L had DM take JH to the library kid group because "We don't want him to grow up all ... shy and introverted, do we?" (I think I remember that quote correctly)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I think the above suggestions provide much potential for humourous situations (let's add some sausages (bangers?) to that bowl of mac & cheese!), I think you're onto something here, BodminDM. If JH begins to show many of the same preferences and tendencies as his father, it could provide Martin with an opportunity to see the contrast between his own childhood, and one in which the child is loved and encouraged to flourish. What a boost it would be to Martin's morale to hear Louisa boast (and with a smile), "James is just like his father!"

Realistically speaking though, we as parents are often frustrated when our children exhibit some of the same characteristics as ourselves, particularly if those traits have any sort of negative association. For example, my daughter loves to keep any piece of paper (card, artwork, bookmark, etc) that has some sentimental value to her. This drives me bonkers, partly because it ends up all over her bedroom floor, but mostly because I have some borderline hoarding tendencies in the same area :o

I have an inkling...which may be false...that something will be revealed regarding the "frog dissection" "broken glass" "clock issue" "blood phobia" in S7. There are so many themes and hints throughout the series to carry on the thought that they are connected that all the issues must be connected some way. Really something to look forward to seeing coming up. Let's see what they come up with, although I believe the story arc was conceived in 2006. Let's see what they do with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I have an inkling...which may be false...that something will be revealed regarding the "frog dissection" "broken glass" "clock issue" "blood phobia" in S7. There are so many themes and hints throughout the series to carry on the thought that they are connected that all the issues must be connected some way. Really something to look forward to seeing coming up. Let's see what they come up with, although I believe the story arc was conceived in 2006. Let's see what they do with it.

Well, I hope their connecting the dots is quick, because, to be honest, aren't the dots already connected? Don't we already know what happened--DM was a lively lad, and then had his soul crushed by terrible parenting, and unhappy boarding school years. And then he ended up as the DM shown in the later seasons.

I'd like us to get through that past history stuff very, very quickly in S7 and move on to DM and LG rekindling their relationship with growth occurring through humor and more intimate affection.

Another
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, I hope their connecting the dots is quick, because, to be honest, aren't the dots already connected? Don't we already know what happened--DM was a lively lad, and then had his soul crushed by terrible parenting, and unhappy boarding school years. And then he ended up as the DM shown in the later seasons.

I'd like us to get through that past history stuff very, very quickly in S7 and move on to DM and LG rekindling their relationship with growth occurring through humor and more intimate affection.

Another
    Phobias frequently have their genesis in a traumatic incident that occurs in childhood or an earlier episode of experience. The snake that one finds under a rock...the black widow spider that lives in your gutter as a child. Having your period into white shorts as a teenager....tackling the phobia is of major importance in moving Martin on..without it he cannot advance...and he cannot give of himself to Louisa....dealing with it will be of utmost importance...until that happens he is stuck
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that L had DM take JH to the library kid group because "We don't want him to grow up all ... shy and introverted, do we?" (I think I remember that quote correctly)

Thank you Carol, I had the same thought. In fact, I posted a rant about it last year.
This discussion has been closed.