21st Century Fox-Discovery merger talks played down

90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
Forum Member
21st Century Fox has denied reports that it is in merger talks with Discovery Communications.

Senior executives from the Hollywood studio were thought to have met executives from the international factual giant, according to the Australian Financial Review.

The Fairfax Media-owned paper said that the two parties were in “nascent” talks, although it said no formal offer had been made.

However, 21st Century Fox poured cold water on the reports. “This is categorically untrue,” noted a spokesman.

Such a deal would have created a $100 billion global media group, incorporating a raft of pay-TV channels and the UK’s two largest production groups, Endemol Shine Group and All3Media.

Fox is the latest US studio to be linked to Discovery after the Rupert Murdoch-owned business abandoned plans to acquire Time Warner last year.

Disney has also been rumoured to be interested in Discovery which is run by chief executive David Zaslav and operates channels in over 200 territories.

I hope Murdoch don't get his hands on Discovery, that would leave A+E Networks as a only other factual network.

Comments

• popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Discovery doesn't need Fox.
    Its a VERY successful company and has been for years.
    Yes Fox is a huge name, but its also a very muddied one right now and Discovery merging with them would be brainless to say the least!
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Discovery doesn't need Fox.
    Its a VERY successful company and has been for years.
    Yes Fox is a huge name, but its also a very muddied one right now and Discovery merging with them would be brainless to say the least!

How is the Fox name 'very muddied' right now? That's just a sweeping statement. Considering Fox has never really entered the UK market, it's not muddied over here. It's also one of the biggest and most established brands rights across the world when it comes to TV, most notably right across the Asian continent.

Around the world, Fox Sports is a prime property, as well as a whole range of entertainment and movie channels.
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    How is the Fox name 'very muddied' right now? That's just a sweeping statement. Considering Fox has never really entered the UK market, it's not muddied over here. It's also one of the biggest and most established brands rights across the world when it comes to TV, most notably right across the Asian continent.

Around the world, Fox Sports is a prime property, as well as a whole range of entertainment and movie channels.

Its muddied thanks to the phone hacking by its parent company.

Yes, like i said, its a major brand, but not one most actually want to be associated with still right now
  • 90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Maybe ITV could buy Discovery, this would be enough stop the UK broadcaster being a takeover target.

Buy the way Fox's Sky have the production/distribution arm Sky Vision but the business is not enough to for Sky to be a producer broadcaster powerhouse. I expect Sky to merge Sky Vision with ITV's production arm ITV Studios in the near future.
    Forum Member
    90s fan wrote: »
    Maybe ITV could buy Discovery, this would be enough stop the UK broadcaster being a takeover target.

Buy the way Fox's Sky have the production/distribution arm Sky Vision but the business is not enough to for Sky to be a producer broadcaster powerhouse. I expect Sky to merge Sky Vision with ITV's production arm ITV Studios in the near future.

Why would Sky Vision and ITV Studios merge?!
    They're two entirely different companies and ITV Studios has no need for Sky Vision.
    ITV Studios Global Entertainment (ITV's distribution arm) is bigger than Sky Vision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, like i said, its a major brand, but not one most actually want to be associated with still right now

I was well aware of what you were insinuating.

Another sweeping statement there with 'but not one most actually want to be associated with'... Based on just your opinion of course.
    Forum Member
    I was well aware of what you were insinuating.

Another sweeping statement there with 'but not one most actually want to be associated with'... Based on just your opinion of course.

Care to name anyone who wants to be associated with 21st Century Fox right now then?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Interesting, could this potentially lead to a merger of the National Geographic and Discovery brands?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care to name anyone who wants to be associated with 21st Century Fox right now then?!

What a silly question. If I provided an answer to that, it would be just as much of a sweeping statement as you made.
    Forum Member
    What a silly question. If I provided an answer to that, it would be just as much of a sweeping statement as you made.

Simple answer no you cannot.
    While my comment might be opinion (Thats the point of a forum incase you didn't know!!!!!!!!) it also has some truth to it!
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think Fox has been muddied by the phone-hacking scandal in the UK. Plenty of people want to be associated with it as seen by the success of its films The Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman at the Oscars http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/oscars-2015-birdman-grand-budapest-hotel-win-big-20150223
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

How about everyone in some way working either directly or indirectly for 21st Century Fox, which would amount to HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people? I have yet to hear of any actor, writer, or other person involved in film or TV say they refuse to have anything to do with any project connected to 21st Century Fox. In fact I recall that much was made of Steve Coogan publicly denouncing phone hacking and then turning around and doing a show for Murdoch's Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple answer no you cannot.
    While my comment might be opinion (Thats the point of a forum incase you didn't know!!!!!!!!) it also has some truth to it!

I was tired when I typed that reply so forgive me.

Thanks to the two posters above who added to the discussion though. A bit of common sense has prevailed at least.

And yes, a forum is here for personal opinion but you shouldn't be taking the defensive route when your comments are clearly incorrect and are not based on any fact whatsoever. Intelligent discussion is very welcome, I'm sure you'll agree.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic, but I remember seeing on TV in the 90s a story about a man who had trademarked the name 21st century fox in anticipation of a name change. Now that the parent company is called 21st century fox I wonder if they had to pay him for it. He was in the UK though so I'm not sure if it would have worked.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I don't think Fox has been muddied by the phone-hacking scandal in the UK. Plenty of people want to be associated with it as seen by the success of its films The Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman at the Oscars http://www.rollingstone.comy/movies/news/oscars-2015-birdman-grand-budapest-hotel-win-big-20150223

Starring hacking victim Jude Law!!

One subsidiary of the parent company.

Has the BBC stopped buying Shine programmes? Will the BBC cancel The Great British Bake Off now the production company is majority owned by Sky?

I know many on here think Murdoch is now 'toxic', but in reality nothing has changed.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be more bad news as Viacom bought up C5 and Sky buying up Virgins channels meant less choice too.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Starring hacking victim Jude Law!!

One subsidiary of the parent company.

Has the BBC stopped buying Shine programmes? Will the BBC cancel The Great British Bake Off now the production company is majority owned by Sky?

I know many on here think Murdoch is now 'toxic', but in reality nothing has changed.
    Interesting about Jude Law. Does not let News Corp off the hook by any stretch of the imagination, but its competitor TrinityMirror has owned up to hacking by its tabloids too.
    Shine is no longer part of Sky, it is part of a bigger 50/50 joint venture between 21st Century Fox and private equity firm Apollo Global Management which also includes Endemol. The latter produces Home and Away, Deal or No Deal, Benidorm and Big Brother. I expect that Fox will acquire full control of the joint venture within a few years.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Interesting about Jude Law. Does not let News Corp off the hook by any stretch of the imagination, but its competitor TrinityMirror has owned up to hacking by its tabloids too.
    Shine is no longer part of Sky, it is part of a bigger 50/50 joint venture between 21st Century Fox and private equity firm Apollo Global Management which also includes Endemol. The latter produces Home and Away, Deal or No Deal, Benidorm and Big Brother. I expect that Fox will acquire full control of the joint venture within a few years.

GBBO is made by Love Productions, now 75% owned by Sky, it was never a Shine company.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Would be more bad news as Viacom bought up C5 and Sky buying up Virgins channels meant less choice too.

Did it? As far as I can tell the Viacom/C5 acquisitions has led only to the planned launch of SPIKE, in replacement of VIVA, who's programming will now be shared with 5*, doesn't look like less choice to me...
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised no one has said it...so I will.
    Will they rebrand Eurosport to Sky a Sports 6 and 7?
    😂