sleeping giant

dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apart from your own team if you would pick one team in england who is the biggest sleeping giant now who would it be ?

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think Sheff Wed would get my vote, plenty of potential there, just been shockingly mis-managed over loads of years.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think Sheff Wed would get my vote, plenty of potential there, just been shockingly mis-managed over loads of years.

i agree about sheff wed

nottingham forest & ipswich also come to mind if run right
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forest. They've been champions of Europe and yet have spent years in the middle two tiers of the league.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    Leeds United.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's impossible to pick just one if your going by each clubs past history, and potential fan base then i'd have to say the following clubs who have won nothing for over 30 years.

Manchester City
    Newcastle
    Sunderland
    Wolves
    Leeds
    Sheff Utd
    Sheff Wed.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can add Southampton as sleeping Giant :confused:
  • CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeds Utd and Nottingham Forest definitely

Two big clubs that i saw play my Arsenal side a lot when i was growing up and it's a shame they're not in the top tier again, but i think they will be in the next few years, hopefully to replace the dross of Wigan, Blackburn, Stoke, Wolves and Fulham

Also QPR, who haven't been a prestigious club in the past but this season they're doing fantastically in the Championship and they're a very wealthy club too, so when they get to the Premier League they'll have the ability to stay
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    I think it's impossible to pick just one if your going by each clubs past history, and potential fan base then i'd have to say the following clubs who have won nothing for over 30 years.

Manchester City
    We're no longer sleeping!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redtux wrote: »
    We're no longer sleeping!!!!!

Nor are you giants
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    You can add Southampton as sleeping Giant :confused:

When were they giants?
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    CarlosVela wrote: »

Two big clubs that i saw play my Arsenal side a lot when i was growing up and it's a shame they're not in the top tier again, but i think they will be in the next few years, hopefully to replace the dross of Wigan, Blackburn, Stoke, Wolves and Fulham

Also QPR, who haven't been a prestigious club in the past but this season they're doing fantastically in the Championship and they're a very wealthy club too, so when they get to the Premier League they'll have the ability to stay

You need to research your football history a bit
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The dross of Wolves? We have good support, great history and play good football. Why would you want us out the Premier League?
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    When were they giants?

Didn't they win the FA Cup in the 70s then which i would of thought that made them Sleeping Giants:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I'd love one-time FA Cup winners to be classed as giants, I just don't see it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »
    Didn't they win the FA Cup in the 70s then which i would of thought that made them Sleeping Giants:D

Err, how can I pit this. NO ! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    The dross of Wolves? We have good support, great history and play good football. Why would you want us out the Premier League?

Because you weren't a big club when CarlosVela was growing up :rolleyes:

No matter that I'd say Wolves have more history as a really big club than both Leeds and Nottingham Forest, who they referred to.

I'll pass on whether you play good football ;)
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No mention of Everton?

Most certainly the biggest sleeping giants in England.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »

No matter that I'd say Wolves have more history as a really big club than both Leeds and Nottingham Forest, who they referred to.
    I wouldnt, but I also wouldnt say they had less either, all 3 have made big contributions to football history and hopefully to its future too.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    No mention of Everton?

Most certainly the biggest sleeping giants in England.
    They have won the F.A. cup and finished in the top 4 in recent years though havent they.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Because you weren't a big club when CarlosVela was growing up :rolleyes:

I'll pass on whether you play good football ;)

We are certainly equal with those two yes.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forest were only breifly giants, before Cloughy they were a small regional club after Clough they were a small regional club.

Wolves back in the day acidently invented European club football (they had floodlights so they could stage midweek games against continental sides) won the league 3 times, cups, played in Europe and could take in 60,000 paying customers, set a club transfer fee record with Andy Gray in 1979. Obviously they are along way from that now but at least they are back in the top flight. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Play good football?

Hahahaha, excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Play good football?

Hahahaha, excellent.

Sorry, we can't all play like Arsenal you know.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brighton and Hove Albion- soon to be back in the Championship (hopefully) and then go for the Prem!
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Play good football?

Hahahaha, excellent.

Why not answer the other points that have been raised about your posts on this thread ?