Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

1727374757678»

Comments

• PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chiswick11 wrote: »
    OK, Sale of goods act 1979.??
    It may not have failed but it is not or no longer fit for he purpose it was bought for?
    What are you entitled to?

See my earlier post #1912. The box can quite easily still be seen as fit for purpose, it's purpose being to receive DTT signals. Reception of iplayer was an added bonus and not the primary function of the box. An analogy could be claiming that an analogue satellite receiver was no longer fit for purpose due to the closure of Sky analogue even though other analogue satellite services were still available. If petrol were to run out tomorrow would you expect Ford, Fiat, Honda, Renault et al to give you a refund for your car?
  • kcipkcip Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Just an update for anyone who still has a STBHDIS2010, the trovetv.co.uk domain will be expiring in the next few days. Since iPlayer no longer works on these boxes I was wondering if it's worth renewing or if anyone would like to take it over?

Jonathan
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else suffering from the weather forecast area in text being very slow to change pages since the change in background colour?

I have tried a reset but the problem persists. It makes checking the forecast very tedious now.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kcip wrote: »
    Just an update for anyone who still has a STBHDIS2010, the trovetv.co.uk domain will be expiring in the next few days. Since iPlayer no longer works on these boxes I was wondering if it's worth renewing or if anyone would like to take it over?
    I don't think it's worth renewing now, you've done a great job, thanks.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    I don't think it's worth renewing now, you've done a great job, thanks.

+1
    Mine still use it at each cold start but only because I can't be bothered to change the URL. I did play with a media (file) server when you added the network player option but to be honest it would need quite a bit of work to be really useful. Anyone who wants to do that could put the software dump you provided on their own local server and use it from there. I did that before you reinstated the online server and it worked OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1 Thanks for keeping it going for so long. :)

Sadly now that the big screen iPlayer is gone many will just be chucking these away, :(

can still use the DNS trick for streaming media so doesn't seem worth the domain renewal cost really...

Would be great if you could upload the modded iTrove files though, had no luck with wget !

Still looking at potential firmware mods, probably well beyond me though, any IDA Pro gurus out there??

If we could just find a way to dump the transport stream out to ethernet they would make great little DVB-T2 PVRs.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who made this happen - "Pirate" IPTV was fun whilst it lasted ! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    OK, to get back on-topic, I have posted about this on the COM7 thread but, once again today, one of my STBHDIS2010 boxes completely lost the COM7 mux from Crystal Palace, showing zero signal strength and quality. All other muxes, including the PSB HD mux, absolutely fine. The situation is rectified by powering box off and on at the mains, whereupon it returns to its former glory. This has now happened on both of my boxes so it doesn't seem to be a specific fault with one of them. I am interested to know whether anyone else has experienced this.

COM7 does seem to cause some problems, including no sound on some boxes and causing channels on the PSB HD mux to be lost on others.

My box is connected to an outdoor aerial, I've had a couple of occasions where its lost COM7 and the local mux. I have a tv in the kitchen which runs fine on an indoor aerial (including receiving the local mux), if I plug said aerial into the box it tunes in the local mux and COM7 again. Reconnect the outdoor aerial and it carries on receiving them until the next time it decides to lose them. I will try your sugestion next time it happens instead of swapping the aerial.
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick{D}vB wrote: »
    Would be great if you could upload the modded iTrove files though, had no luck with wget !

List of wget commands to retrieve trove files:
    (I don't have enough webspace to upload the files themselves)

http://www.kjhskj75z.talktalk.net/itrove.sh

I think that's all of them. Get them before the domain goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    Tesco appear to be clearing their stocks of two of their Freeview HD boxes for £30.00 .
    Pile em high sell em cheap.
    Jack Cohens stratergy .
    Shame Tesco forgot this and let Aldi and Lidel ,copy this business model .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Jack Cohens stratergy .

Lidl is that cheap, they only use 4 letters instead of 5 to spell their name. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my box is now dead! Noticed the other morning the front panel display was just flashing the word "boot" on and off rapidly. Unplugged it, left it a few minutes and when I plugged it in again all I got was a green screen and a buzzing noise. Looking at the other thread I suspect one of the capacitors has blown but I'm not good with a soldering iron and I didn't really need it anymore anyway due to upgrading other equipment, so I took it down to the BHF electrical shop, advised them it doesn't work and said they can recycle it safely if it can't be repaired. Still, it was a decent little box whilst it lasted.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Cohens stratergy .

Indeed.

Apparently, Jack's wife was called Tessa. The first parts of her first and last name form the name of the company!
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Well my box is now dead! Noticed the other morning the front panel display was just flashing the word "boot" on and off rapidly. Unplugged it, left it a few minutes and when I plugged it in again all I got was a green screen and a buzzing noise. Looking at the other thread I suspect one of the capacitors has blown but I'm not good with a soldering iron and I didn't really need it anymore anyway due to upgrading other equipment, so I took it down to the BHF electrical shop, advised them it doesn't work and said they can recycle it safely if it can't be repaired. Still, it was a decent little box whilst it lasted.

I have some broken equipment that I've been saving to take to the recycling centre, I didn't know that you could take broken items into the BHF, so thanks for that.

It's better to reuse than recycle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure it's the Furniture and Electrical shop you go to though.