Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened to John Parrots retirement? He was in the earlier rounds. Has it been mentioned on the TV?

It was mentioned briefly and John commented he was the first player to be knocked out of this years comp :)
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Wow - big shock to read about Stephen Hendry's retirement. What a legend.

Best snooker player ever.

I wish him good luck with his post snooker life.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,765
    Forum Member
    I can't even put into words how gutted I am about Stephen's decision.

He means it for sure and this isn't a Ronnie style 'I quit'.

Stephen, you are in my opinion the greatest player to date. I'll miss you.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    It was mentioned briefly and John commented he was the first player to be knocked out of this years comp :)

Yes, although he's officially retired, as he retained professional status it gave him the option of entering the pre-qualification rounds. Most old pros don't bother 'cos they aren't going to get anywhere realistically, but JP decided to have a bash.......and got promptly whitewashed :D

Talking of whitewashes, Day needs to win this last one to avoid losing all eight frames tonight :eek:
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky the Hendry/Maguire and Day/Stevens final sessions were split up tomorrow else the crowd would have been getting Virgo doing his Alex Higgins impression....or his Alex Higgins with a dodgy neck impression anyway :p
  • MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never know, maybe he will change his mind. Always possible.

The organisers should setup a special frame of snooker between him and steve davis.. hold it during the interval on the final night. Show it on BBC and give the crowd a chance to say goodbye. That would be great for the game. If anyone knows anyone at the BBC, pass the idea on!

That would be wonderful!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, although he's officially retired, as he retained professional status it gave him the option of entering the pre-qualification rounds. Most old pros don't bother 'cos they aren't going to get anywhere realistically, but JP decided to have a bash.......and got promptly whitewashed :D

Talking of whitewashes, Day needs to win this last one to avoid losing all eight frames tonight :eek:

Yes cant imagine Hendry having a bash just to get whitewashed in the first qualifying round!

No luck for day 5-11 down after a second session white wash, looks like its all but over in that one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBC report on Hendry's retirement, he's got commitments in China thats why he retired, he was in China the week before the Worlds started this year :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17917326
    Forum Member
    I wonder what his commitments are in China?

He also says he won't be home much and I'm sure I'm reading too much into it but Stephen doesn't wear his wedding ring anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    I wonder what his commitments are in China?

He also says he won't be home much and I'm sure I'm reading too much into it but Stephen doesn't wear his wedding ring anymore.

No he says he wouldnt be home much if he carried on playing along with his China commitments
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live very close to him and see him in the local Co-op with his children quite often. I think he is a quiet family man. I wish him well in his retirement. He has been a credit to his sport.
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I live very close to him and see him in the local Co-op with his children quite often. I think he is a quiet family man. I wish him well in his retirement. He has been a credit to his sport.

Aww that's lovely to hear. I can imagine he's a great Dad.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aww that's lovely to hear. I can imagine he's a great Dad.

I read on his Wiki page that he donated a kidney to his nephew in 2006.

I never knew this.
    Forum Member
    I read on his Wiki page that he donated a kidney to his nephew in 2006.

I never knew this.

Ok now I'm actually wiping tears from my eyes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok now I'm actually wiping tears from my eyes

The fact that he kept it so quiet speaks volumes for his character. :)

Unless I missed the news reports - I never saw any at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No i never heard of it before :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read a few months ago that he was thinking about retiring. He had slipped so far down the rankings that he was having to travel too much to play in smaller tournaments to gain points. No doubt someone will clarify.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    No i never heard of it before :confused:

I can find nothing anywhere. A search brings up this thread.
    I read a few months ago that he was thinking about retiring. He had slipped so far down the rankings that he was having to travel too much to play in smaller tournaments to gain points. No doubt someone will clarify.

I was talking about him keeping quiet about donating a kidney (if that's indeed true) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can find nothing anywhere. A search brings up this thread.

I was talking about him keeping quiet about donating a kidney (if that's indeed true) :)

ooh sorry. :o. Not heard anything about his kidney.
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I believe when he fell outside the top 16 he did think about retiring as he didn't fancy the qualifiers. He then decided to carry on.

Shame he has retired as I feel he is still capable of winning another tournament. But in the end he has won it all and has nothing to prove and he can go out with his head held high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I believe when he fell outside the top 16 he did think about retiring as he didn't fancy the qualifiers. He then decided to carry on.

Shame he has retired as I feel he is still capable of winning another tournament. But in the end he has won it all and has nothing to prove and he can go out with his head held high.

He has been a great ambassador for the game, and scotland. I hope whatever his venture in China is it goes well..
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't expect Stephen Hendry to announce his retirement, but I liked what he said on BBC News 24 earlier in that The Crucible always holds special memories for him, and if he wanted to go out and retire, he didn't want it to be at some PTC event but instead at the place where he won those world titles.

Seeing that 147 on the opening day after I got home from the morning session showed to me that he still could turn it on and play well, and that must have given him enormous satisfaction to be level with Ronnie with 3 maximums at the Crucible and make that little bit more history.

I wish him well, and I hope that whatever he decides to do that his legend won't be forgotten. Can't see anyone winning seven Worlds, not least five on the trot, and that's the achievements he's set.
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit selfish of Hendry there, stealing Ronnie's thunder, as tomorrow he will announce his retirement after getting turned over by Robertson....I know, it will be tough to hear :rolleyes:

Here's Hendry's press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLbtoHQvJY&feature=youtu.be
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Great thing I am reading is the amount of respect stephen seems to be getting. :) (on this thread anyway)
  • Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    A loss to the sport, but in a way, wouldn't have wanted to see him going through (increasing) qualifying rounds to make it to tv. Sometime's its good to end on a high and the 147 he made is a great way to retire!
This discussion has been closed.