Options

New Tricks Series 9

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    James missed a couple of episodes in Series 5, of course, and I thought they were just as enjoyable without him.

I'm looking forward to seeing Denis in this. Obviously when the same team of 4 have done 67 episodes over 8 years, it'll be odd for someone else to be added to it but I'm looking forward to it and there's always the other 67 episodes to watch on DVD - or telly reppeats - if you want to see James in it! :)

9 years. The pilot episode was in 2003. And it's not really the first time a sort of cast character has gone. PC Clarke went missing after series 1. He was an on par with Strickland and Esther.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis Lawson might have been seen in the US on British TV shows - Holby City, where he was excellent as head doctor Tom Campbell-Gore for some time....and the mini series Sea of Souls - which ran for three years and saw him as the head of a parapsychology unit at a Scottish university investigating strange phenomena.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dennis Lawson might have been seen in the US on British TV shows - Holby City, where he was excellent as head doctor Tom Campbell-Gore for some time....and the mini series Sea of Souls - which ran for three years and saw him as the head of a parapsychology unit at a Scottish university investigating strange phenomena.

That was Bill Paterson who used to be in Law & Order UK :o Dennis was in Marchlands last year.

Thinking about it and Flukie is right. It would be 8 years that Jack was in the show. Though the show is 9 years old now.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Just found this on Wikipedia.

Steve McAllister (Ex-Detective Inspector) (Denis Lawson): Retired DI Steve McAllister joined the team after Jack Halford's departure. He is described as "a bundle of energetic optimism with a tendency to get personally involved in the cases he’s working on
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    That was Bill Paterson who used to be in Law & Order UK :o Dennis was in Marchlands last year.

Yes, sorry,quite right - it was in Sea of Souls (always get them confused).

But he was Dr Tom Campbell Gore in Holby.

Oh, and in one of my all time favourite BBC Dramas - The Flip Side of Dominic Hide - with a very young Harry from Spooks!

This and its sequel (Another Flip for Dominic) is some of the best science fiction that BBC 1 has ever made - clever, funny and thought provoking. And a great success at the time. Well worth seeking out if you were not around in the early 80s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Is that Will's fit mum from the inbetweeners in tonight's episode? :)
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

Thinking about it and Flukie is right. It would be 8 years that Jack was in the show. Though the show is 9 years old now.

The Pilot episode was shown in March 2003, so I counted from that, tho really, as James left in 2011, he was in it 7 years cos the first series was shown in April 2004, a whole year after the Pilot episode.

James did Born and Bred between the Pilot (which was just going to be a one off thing) and the First Series, so he actually left Born and Bred to do New Tricks, so as he was working on something else for the year in between the Pilot and the series starting, his New Tricks time really started in 2004 - just to be picky about it! lol :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Series 9, seeing how Denis fits into it, and I just wish there was some news/pictures released about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snoop76 wrote: »

Never watched the Inbetweeners ... which of the women was she?
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    snoop76 wrote: »

yes it was, Belinda Stewart Wilson, I think!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could understand Brian being upset, but I hope it doesn't last for more than one episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I could understand Brian being upset, but I hope it doesn't last for more than one episode.

Maybe Brian will really like the new guy. He's meant to be really enthusiastic, and Brian would like that on a case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

He was upset when Jack originally disappeared after the trial, previously, but that was cos no one knew where he was or if he'd be back.

How he reacts this time will depend on how Jack's absense is explained.And as Brian will presumably know where he is, he probably won't be that bothered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to the new series on New Tricks. I've watched them so many times and still love them.

Hope we see more of Strickland in this series. Not sure why exactly, but I really have a soft spot for him. Maybe its just me :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jelly_baby wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the new series on New Tricks. I've watched them so many times and still love them.

Hope we see more of Strickland in this series. Not sure why exactly, but I really have a soft spot for him. Maybe its just me :o

I missed Strickland when we barely saw him last series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I missed Strickland when we barely saw him last series.

Yeah he was so underused. He must be in the first ep of Series 9 as they have to introduce the new team member etc.

Hope they give him some good scenes so we see him lots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I was watching Friday's repeat on BBC1 it just crossed my mind to wonder, when the first episode of the new series is shown, whether they'll show the new credits straightaway, specially if Steve (I think his name is) isn't introduced before the credits. Or if they wait til the second episode - like there was no credits to the Pilot.

They might just do it as normal of course, but with a new team member, after 8 series ... I just wondered! Not a particularly important point but still .. just wondered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I was watching Friday's repeat on BBC1 it just crossed my mind to wonder, when the first episode of the new series is shown, whether they'll show the new credits straightaway, specially if Steve (I think his name is) isn't introduced before the credits. Or if they wait til the second episode - like there was no credits to the Pilot.

They might just do it as normal of course, but with a new team member, after 8 series ... I just wondered! Not a particularly important point but still .. just wondered.

I hadn't thought about that, good point.

I'm wondering how they're going to write Jack out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Series 9: 2012

In September 2011, the BBC, following the success of series 8 and internationally, commissioned another two series. Series 9 is expected to be broadcast in 2012, with 10 episodes. Episode 2 has been revealed to be called "Old School Ties".

That's what I call a titbit! :)

I do wish someone would tell us when Series 9 is being shown!
    I mentioned previously that BBC1 had started a 10 episode run (over 11 weeks cos of Comic Relief this week) and wondered if it might be back after that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjh3241 wrote: »
    Denis Lawson looks familiar. Was he in an episode of Hustle, possibly, a while back? I can't see him replacing Jack very well if it's who I think.

Blimey - give him a chance! He's an excellent actor for starters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If any of you New Tricks fans have twitter, then there is a new fan site @Team_NewTricks, if you have any updates that could be posted. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched an old episode of NT from Series 8 and realised one of the characters name is Helen Gilder. I've just realised that was a character from Born and Bred.

Obviously put in for James Bolams's benefit! lol (she was his grand-daughter in B&B) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aibi are starting to show Series 8 of New Tricks and amazingly, they are showing ALL the episode because they are being shown between 9 - 10.15pm.

Wonders never cease! They usually cut 12 minutes off each episode, ruining them, if you remember them, and I always wished they'd show them over an extra 15 minutes so they wouldn't cut them.
    Someone granted my wish!
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Aibi are starting to show Series 8 of New Tricks and amazingly, they are showing ALL the episode because they are being shown between 9 - 10.15pm.

Wonders never cease! They usually cut 12 minutes off each episode, ruining them, if you remember them, and I always wished they'd show them over an extra 15 minutes so they wouldn't cut them.
    Someone granted my wish!

That's great, I watched 'an hour' long New Tricks, and it made no sense! I think they must have cut out all the important bits in order to make it fit for the hour slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's great, I watched 'an hour' long New Tricks, and it made no sense! I think they must have cut out all the important bits in order to make it fit for the hour slot.

12 minutes cut from a 58 minute long programme is criminal! Specially when you often hear a fuss being made if someone cuts one scene lasting about 3 minutes out of something!

They cut a lot of the comedy bits out, which is what frustrates me if I watch an episode I know well. Even the very first episode - the murdered policewoman 17 years before - has funny bits cut. When Sandra and Gerry are in the opticians waiting to see the witness. All they show of that is the young woman calling them into her office to talk to her. They cut out the funny bit of Gerry trying on glasses saying he'd been toying with the idea of glasses for a while.
    He tries on a half moon pair, saying - putting on a voice 'David Dickinson!'
    And Sandra says, "Yeah, without the David and the inson' (leaving Dick, of course!) lol which I always laugh at, but they cut if out.

Spose the comedy bits were the easiest to cut out so they could then say they never actually cut any of the story out!
    Which of course isn't true cos there isn't always 12 minutes of comedy!
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a date yet on when this is to be shown