Options

More to Danny Pink than we think..

Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else getting just a little feeling that Danny Pink may be the master or is that way off?

There is just something not straight forward with Danny Pink..

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deceptively boring character with a lot to hide? Great actor.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    I think if he never travels with the doctor and Clara, (which dosen't seem the intention so far) and there secretly isn't anything more to him then he will have been the most pointless character ever, so to validate his character existing at all it almost feels like there must be something.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think if he never travels with the doctor and Clara, (which dosen't seem the intention so far) and there secretly isn't anything more to him then he will have been the most pointless character ever, so to validate his character existing at all it almost feels like there must be something.

How can you call him pointless, based on what we've already seen? He's already causing Clara to re-evaluate her view of the Doctor, and of herself and her travels, what she wants out of life and how she goes about getting it. If Clara is there to challenge the Doctor, Danny challenges her in return.

He's not the Master.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not just a companion I don't think.. That controlling bit at the end of The Caretaker was just ominous.. Not to mention the jump/flip he did to save the world.. I like his characters presence, much more to come from I think. Loved the face off with The Doctor..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was rumours that he could in fact be a future incarnation of the Doctor himself however I am not sure I believe that at all but you never know with Moffat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How can you call him pointless, based on what we've already seen? He's already causing Clara to re-evaluate her view of the Doctor, and of herself and her travels, what she wants out of life and how she goes about getting it. If Clara is there to challenge the Doctor, Danny challenges her in return.

He's not the Master.
    But that's just using a character as a plot device rather them being an interesting character in their own right. As it stands his only purpose seems to be to make us care more about Clara and her 'normal life' and for me it isn't working. When we see Danny and Clara scene's I just feel as though it's wasted minutes we could be spending having extra time on an adventure with the doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw someone post maths teacher .. Mas te.. r
    Clever.. Liking idea he is time traveller but who is he.. Another doctor? Another timelord? He is very intense and not simply a companion surely?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    We have seen Danny as a child so I doubt he is The Master or anyone else we have alos seen his great grandson.

I do think there is more to him though we know he was a soldier but for who the regular armed forces or something like UNIT and has dealt with aliens before?

That somersault he did was very impressive to impressive he seem to jump at least 10 ft in the air even a gold medal winning gymnast couldn't pull that off so maybe he has had upgrades like Psi but his were to boost his physical abilities rather than mental.
  • Options
    GoldeyfishGoldeyfish Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard a rumour that he's an undercover UNIT solider who has been assigned to the coal hill school to keep survalance on the doctor and Clara
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else getting just a little feeling that Danny Pink may be the master or is that way off?

Jesus here we go, another new charecter and he's the Master zzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    But that's just using a character as a plot device rather them being an interesting character in their own right. As it stands his only purpose seems to be to make us care more about Clara and her 'normal life' and for me it isn't working. When we see Danny and Clara scene's I just feel as though it's wasted minutes we could be spending having extra time on an adventure with the doctor.

That's a bit unfair in my opinion. How do we, the audience know a character except through his (or her) actions? And what are actions if not plot? A character cannot just stand there and "be interesting" (or not) by just bring there. Good writing means characters do things because of their character and their character is illuminated for the audience by their actions.

So, it's obvious there's more to Danny than meets the eye. From the writer's PoV Danny exists to set up a mystery and create a dramatic situation (I.e. The "conflict" between him and the Doctor over Clara).

In good writing character is plot and plot is character. Only when a character is written to do something out of character does it feel wrong. No issue with that so far with Danny.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

No, the Skovox Blitzer is a plot device - an element introduced solely to push the plot along. A particularly disposable one, as any child-threatening device would have worked just as well. If Danny existed only to blunder in and screw up the Doctor's plans then he could be called a plot device, as it is, he's a fundamental element of the group dynamic.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Saw someone post maths teacher .. Mas te.. r
    Clever.. Liking idea he is time traveller but who is he.. Another doctor? Another timelord? He is very intense and not simply a companion surely?

Surely if he was either of these, Clara would have sussed the double heartbeat when she was lying on the sofa with her head on his chest? Also I'd imagiune the Doctor (or the Tardis) would sense the presence of another timelord.

After the back-flip, I am wondering if he is more than human - another one of the robot people, as in half-face.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, Danny Pink is not the master!

But still, no reason for the internet to get on photoshop :)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/CDx9Yo36-rk/0.jpg
  • Options
    caveatmancaveatman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    He loves his wells so much he ends up with a Great Grandson called Orson.

Or he is Orson, with his memory tampered with and that is why he has had an implanted memory about Wells, so that will trump that clue to prevent him regaining his original memory that way. Or not, probably, that was sort of a joke.

The Doctor is not sure if he is a good man. Neither is Danny.

In Citizen Kane (directed by Orson Welles) a single incident in childhood defined Kane's entire life and formed the central hub around which the character exploration revolved.

In Listen both The Doctor and Rupert/Danny were presented as having a childhood experience that defined their entire lives. Referencing Kane

For some reason Danny does not seem to remember Clara having the exact same face as the woman from his childhood. Has he had some kind of memory wipe, replacing his real experiences with his semi tragic semi well digging soldier past.

For some reason The Doctor said Orson looks nothing like Danny. Is his memory faulty or is he hiding something about the connection between Danny and Orson the time traveller? And is Danny's superflip over the robot a suggestion that he is a PE teacher and not a maths teacher after all?

There are definite story parallels between The Doctor and Danny. He is definitely being set up to be very significant. And whatever Moffat has been influenced by from Citizen Kane, there is certainly influence there. Possibly including the narrative structure of the film that presents various different types of behaviour from the titular character but leaves the audience to decide what kind of a man he is.

Back to Danny Pink...Unit spy playing puppy dog eyes at Clara and playing dumb to things like time travel until he infiltrates the Tardis? Orson after a memory transplant? Soldier Blue after a memory transplant? Dreaming, still Rupert dreaming of being Dan the soldier man? Or simply what he appears to be, someone who grew up to be a soldier with a half forgotten memory of an incident that told his young mind the non gun way was better and therefore a soldier with a troubled conscience even before whatever incident turned him into a 'lady killer'?

We'll know soon enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, the Skovox Blitzer is a plot device - an element introduced solely to push the plot along. A particularly disposable one, as any child-threatening device would have worked just as well. If Danny existed only to blunder in and screw up the Doctor's plans then he could be called a plot device, as it is, he's a fundamental element of the group dynamic.

The skovox blitzer was what it was because they intended the plot to not have much of one, all so that they could focus on the (frankly boring) relationship of Danny and Clara. Had the skovox blitzer been the intended focus, it could have been so much more.

How can Danny be fundamental when he dosen't bring anything to the adventures because he dosen't even go on the adventures. The only time we see him is when Clara goes back to her time, which so far has meant them having to show her in her own time more than ever just so that we can see Danny, which as I said further up means scenes are just more minutes taken away from whatever is going on in the rest of the episode. Apart from wasting time on a normal human relationship which we can see on any show when we should be having adventures with a character who is unique to only this one, I fail to see what Danny has done for the plot so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    caveatman wrote: »

For some reason Danny does not seem to remember Clara having the exact same face as the woman from his childhood.

I don't know about anyone else, but I must have met hundreds of people just once as a child and remember neither their face nor even meeting them at all. It's not unfeasible that Danny doesn't remember Clara after meeting her just that one time...

...and since I'm certain we haven't yet seen the last of Danny there's still the chance that he might recall her later on.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caveatman wrote: »

For some reason Danny does not seem to remember Clara having the exact same face as the woman from his childhood. Has he had some kind of memory wipe,

Explained in the show.

CLARA: Will er, will he remember any of that?
    DOCTOR: Scrambled his memory. Gave him a big old dream about being Dan the soldier man.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I felt like some big reveal along those lines was coming in the last ep, his face off against The Doctor in the Tardis saw such a sudden, jarring change of character in him that I was surprised no such twist came. In retrospect I suppose it was just badly written and acted after all.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I felt like some big reveal along those lines was coming in the last ep, his face off against The Doctor in the Tardis saw such a sudden, jarring change of character in him that I was surprised no such twist came. In retrospect I suppose it was just badly written and acted after all.
    Honestly, I thought the opposite. We're being slowly drip-fed clues as to Danny's past without it being all one big reveal. It may not work out as well as we're hoping ultimately, but why set up a season-long arc and then pay it off so soon?
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If anybody really has the feeling that Danny is the master then, actually, there's less to him than they think.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    If anybody really has the feeling that Danny is the master then, actually, there's less to him than they think.

If that's true I will take back everything I've said about the series. It would be dreadful.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think he will be key to Clara's Christmas departure from the TARDIS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »

I thought his face off with the doctor was great. Want to see more of that whether he is a companion on the tardis or not..
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno but I'm starting to get bored with the soap opera style of the new series. Shove him in the TARDIS and let us have some adventures. By that I mean the whole episode should be an adventure; not jumping from adventure to dinner and back again. It's getting boring now.