Options

More to Danny Pink than we think..

Comments

• Options
    Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    I dunno but I'm starting to get bored with the soap opera style of the new series. Shove him in the TARDIS and let us have some adventures. By that I mean the whole episode should be an adventure; not jumping from adventure to dinner and back again. It's getting boring now.

For me Clara has never been great. Okay but not great. Can take her or leave her. Then Peter Capaldi is not quite there for me either. So the dynamics re: characters haven't quite worked. So perhaps it seems a bit soap opera wooden in that sense? I think the last few episodes have worked better and Capaldi is relaxing into his role. But we need a companion to bring more out of the new Doctor and I don't think Clara will do this. Danny Pink looks like he could.. ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if Danny Pink is just there to help the exit plot line of Clara I would be disappointed. Not Clara leaving.. Not using Danny Pink for more than that..
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    I dunno but I'm starting to get bored with the soap opera style of the new series. Shove him in the TARDIS and let us have some adventures. By that I mean the whole episode should be an adventure; not jumping from adventure to dinner and back again. It's getting boring now.

If only we could get back to those halcyon days of the RTD era when the show was pure hardcore science fiction with no romantic sub plots or family drama or familiar soap elements. Oh how I long for those days! That never actually existed.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only we could get back to those halcyon days of the RTD era when the show was pure hardcore science fiction with no romantic sub plots or family drama or familiar soap elements. Oh how I long for those days! That never actually existed.

HA!!!
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Yes he is a new character but not the master or the rani. His name is THE YAWN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Yes he is a new character but not the master or the rani. His name is THE YAWN.

Ah don't! He is going to work out as a great character, companion or whatever.. I have faith...
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The skovox blitzer was what it was because they intended the plot to not have much of one, all so that they could focus on the (frankly boring) relationship of Danny and Clara. Had the skovox blitzer been the intended focus, it could have been so much more.
    On the contrary, it would have been so much less. The robot was a McGuffin, pure and simple. The characters are the story. Like it or not, it's the characters that are important. This is what the viewership has been crying out for, this is what makes this series interesting.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    On the contrary, it would have been so much less. The robot was a McGuffin, pure and simple. The characters are the story. Like it or not, it's the characters that are important. This is what the viewership has been crying out for, this is what makes this series interesting.

The doctor is the most important character, not Clara and certainly not Danny. I don't know of anyone 'crying out' for a focus on a bog standard human relationship you can see on any show. What makes this series interesting are episodes like listen, time heist, and into the dalek where the doctor/Clara dynamic is as it should be and the adventure they are having is front and centre
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldeyfish wrote: »
    I've heard a rumour that he's an undercover UNIT solider who has been assigned to the coal hill school to keep surveillance on the doctor and Clara

that might explain how blase he seemed when he met the Doctor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The doctor is the most important character, not Clara and certainly not Danny. I don't know of anyone 'crying out' for a focus on a bog standard human relationship you can see on any show.
    No, they haven't, and they haven't got one either. There's nothing 'bog standard' about the relationship.

The Doctor is the lynchpin that the series revolves round, but that doesn't mean he's the most interesting story to be told.

If Heroes is a story about people with superpowers, which part is the most interesting and ripe for storytelling? The powers, or the people?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The doctor is the most important character,

Saying that is strange that a lot of fans consider "Blink" to be one of the best episodes ever (in new and classic Who) yet The Doctor is in it for what 3-5 mins at most and most of that is via a TV screen
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not felt that Clara or Danny has been overused at all. People on here are behaving as if The Doctor is only the driver and we're watching Clara and Danny sorting the problems out. I don't see why The Doctor automaticay has to be centre stage. Clara isn't even getting more lines or screen time than him, she's in it just as much. They are equal. Why is that bad?
    Some people are just never happy. You moan she's underused. You moan she's used too much. Never ending complaining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, they haven't, and they haven't got one either. There's nothing 'bog standard' about the relationship.

The Doctor is the lynchpin that the series revolves round, but that doesn't mean he's the most interesting story to be told.

If Heroes is a story about people with superpowers, which part is the most interesting and ripe for storytelling? The powers, or the people?
    Of course we want to get to know the characters, but in the RTD times that occured naturally bit by bit throughout the episodes whilst still making an adventure and the doctor front and centre in those episodes, and the companion still got adequate screen time. Because it was done in that way it felt like it was natural and not forced.

As I say I feel episodes like time heist and into the dalek are the type this series which get the balance right, and all I want is that really. Not Clara to be completely absent, just for her and her life to take over proceedings or for her to act like she can boss the doctor around. As for Danny, he's brought nothing to the table for me so far. some think he's some brilliant character, some don't see it. I'll reserve complete judgement until the end of the series but so far I'm firmly in the 'don't see it' camp.
    Saying that is strange that a lot of fans consider "Blink" to be one of the best episodes ever (in new and classic Who) yet The Doctor is in it for what 3-5 mins at most and most of that is via a TV screen
    I'll admit it's a good episode, as is turn left but there are two points about both of them. Firstly they are both focused on the situation as much as the character in the story so they are both still interesting and feel like the show should. Secondly they work because they are appreciated as is, but only because they offer a bit of variety to how things usually are. If they did a whole series of the show where the doctor barely featured no one would watch, but if you have a good adventure and a character strong enough to lead said adventure then it can work to do an episode like that, but only once in a blue moon so to speak.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Moffat (and his writing team) likes his characters to be mysteries, where the whole premise is that you don't understand them yet. Last time it was Clara the impossible girl. This year half way in we don't know yet who this Doctor is and what he'll do, and as this thread shows, we're being asked to suspect there is more to Danny than the basics we've been given so far. For some people that's intriguing and they enjoy the speculation, and for some people that's too thin and unsatisfying.

As I remember it at least, RTD (and team) didn't do that. You were very quickly given a clear idea of who the characters were and what they wanted. Sometimes they'd turn out be wrong about who they were or what their trouble was, but generally - I might be remembering wrongly - we didn't know there was a mystery until almost before it was solved. For some viewers they were solid characters that were easy to know, and for some they were too one note and not intriguing.

It's not that people are 'liking characterisation' when RTD did it and not when Moffat does it. They're doing very different things. Even in an episode focussing on character development, like the last one, I'd say we mainly learned that we don't know who Danny is and we don't know why the Doctor doesn't like him, not feeling that we understand them better. It made them more mysterious rather than less, imo.

It feels to me like one of the big divides this series, between the many enjoying it and the some who are not, is whether you believe the writers are going to deliver on all that teasing. If you are confident Moffat's got a great explanation for everything waiting till the end, it's exciting. I'm not confident of that, after having been disappointed before, and I think that's why I find all the mystery a bit annoying. But I still hope he does this time, which is why I keep watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Moffat (and his writing team) likes his characters to be mysteries, where the whole premise is that you don't understand them yet. Last time it was Clara the impossible girl. This year half way in we don't know yet who this Doctor is and what he'll do, and as this thread shows, we're being asked to suspect there is more to Danny than the basics we've been given so far. For some people that's intriguing and they enjoy the speculation, and for some people that's too thin and unsatisfying.

As I remember it at least, RTD (and team) didn't do that. You were very quickly given a clear idea of who the characters were and what they wanted. Sometimes they'd turn out be wrong about who they were or what their trouble was, but generally - I might be remembering wrongly - we didn't know there was a mystery until almost before it was solved. For some viewers they were solid characters that were easy to know, and for some they were too one note and not intriguing.

It's not that people are 'liking characterisation' when RTD did it and not when Moffat does it. They're doing very different things. Even in an episode focussing on character development, like the last one, I'd say we mainly learned that we don't know who Danny is and we don't know why the Doctor doesn't like him, not feeling that we understand them better. It made them more mysterious rather than less, imo.

It feels to me like one of the big divides this series, between the many enjoying it and the some who are not, is whether you believe the writers are going to deliver on all that teasing. If you are confident Moffat's got a great explanation for everything waiting till the end, it's exciting. I'm not confident of that, after having been disappointed before, and I think that's why I find all the mystery a bit annoying. But I still hope he does this time, which is why I keep watching.
    A very level headed assessment, probably the post that has put things best in the thread so far :). I agree that if we knew for sure there would be something more to Danny it would feel worth the wait, and the getting to know him, but like you I also have felt let down by Moffat in the past after expecting that he would deliver so I am also a little dubious. The first post I wrote on this thread I wrote that I feel that there has to be something more to him revealed eventually to make the whole character worth while, and it's an idea stand by, because I haven't gotten much from him so far, and if he just is what he is, then to me personally he would have brought nothing to the show. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

I'll admit it's a good episode, as is turn left but there are two points about both of them. Firstly they are both focused on the situation as much as the character in the story so they are both still interesting and feel like the show should. Secondly they work because they are appreciated as is, but only because they offer a bit of variety to how things usually are. If they did a whole series of the show where the doctor barely featured no one would watch, but if you have a good adventure and a character strong enough to lead said adventure then it can work to do an episode like that, but only once in a blue moon so to speak.

In the classic First Doctor serial The Keys of Marinus The Doctor did not even appear in 3 of the episodes
  • Options
    GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw someone post maths teacher .. Mas te.. r
    Clever.. Liking idea he is time traveller but who is he.. Another doctor? Another timelord? He is very intense and not simply a companion surely?

Maybe hes Jack Harkness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course we want to get to know the characters, but in the RTD times that occured naturally bit by bit throughout the episodes whilst still making an adventure and the doctor front and centre in those episodes, and the companion still got adequate screen time. Because it was done in that way it felt like it was natural and not forced.

I'm not buying that - Amy was no mystery, neither was Rory. Or Canton, or Craig, or Dorium, or Vashtra, or Kate Stewart, or even Tasha Lem.

Sure, perhaps these characters have their own backstories and histories that we find out about down the road, but then that's no different from finding out about Rose's relationship with her father, or learning about Martha's family. Clara and River are the only ones with the mysterious backgrounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not buying that - Amy was no mystery, neither was Rory. Or Canton, or Craig, or Dorium, or Vashtra, or Kate Stewart, or even Tasha Lem.

Sure, perhaps these characters have their own backstories and histories that we find out about down the road, but then that's no different from finding out about Rose's relationship with her father, or learning about Martha's family. Clara and River are the only ones with the mysterious backgrounds.
    You can 'buy' what you like, it's my opinion and trying to hit back at everything I say with a harsh tone is not going to change it. I never said anything about Amy, Rory or any of the others being a mystery, it's just that Amy, now you mention her was often quite domineering over the doctor, and sometimes the stories, although she was not too bad, but now the situation seems to be amplied times ten with Clara and 12, sometimes at the expense of the story itself, and having a character like Danny who's only purpose so far has been to drag us back to 21st century earth to waste more time in the present which could be spent almost anywhere else in time and space.

So Far Danny is boring, and the Danny/Clara dynamic is boring. You may see some value in it but I personally don't. It's called a difference of opinion and we can forever drag up every bit of the past to argue the point but it's obviously not going to change how either of us feel and as strong as you feel that he and his relationship with Clara is interesting so far, I feel just as strongly that it hasn't been and I would like to see him as a character have more to offer to make it worth his existence in the show. My opinion.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    What's the harm with Danny Pink joining as a 'normal' companion for once?? He's a coloured soldier that works as a Math's Teacher - and happens to be good-looking!
    I pray that he is just a normal guy!! STOP making companions more than they are!!!
    I remember the days of Victoria, Jamie, Jo, Sarah Jane etc.... WHY (?) do companions have to be soooo different?? It defeats the subject of the series in my eyes! Let's just have a series about aliens and weirdos!!! No normality at all!!:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's the harm with Danny Pink joining as a 'normal' companion for once?? He's a coloured soldier that works as a Math's Teacher - and happens to be good-looking!
    I pray that he is just a normal guy!! STOP making companions more than they are!!!
    I remember the days of Victoria, Jamie, Jo, Sarah Jane etc.... WHY (?) do companions have to be soooo different?? It defeats the subject of the series in my eyes! Let's just have a series about aliens and weirdos!!! No normality at all!!:o
    If they are properly a companion as in travelling in the TARDIS and having adventures then yes of course, the more normal is more believable, but the problem with Danny is that he is a person who the writers don't seem to intend to want to travel so we have to be dragged back to the present, to watch him and Clara in everyday type scenes which hold up the rest of the episode.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:( Have they used pens?
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »

The PC (and no I don't mean Peter Capaldi) brigade are out again. :(
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »

Yes, Pink ones...
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    How can you call him pointless, based on what we've already seen? He's already causing Clara to re-evaluate her view of the Doctor, and of herself and her travels, what she wants out of life and how she goes about getting it. If Clara is there to challenge the Doctor, Danny challenges her in return.

He's not the Master.

maybe not intended to be pointless. but just an awful character.