How To Sign Off JSA?

StykerStyker Posts: 49,550
Forum Member
I've been offered the chance to do a few weeks work which could lead to a permanent opportunity but I'm confused as to how to sign off.

I cannot find the dedicated number given to sign off, but I called the local job centre in advance of me getting the offer of work as I knew there was a chance I might get the offer and I am/was due to sign today (Thursday) and I want to make sure that I don't break any rules and get accused of doing something wrong etc.

The guy I spoke to at the job centre said that even if I am due to start work I should still stick to my sign on appointment and talk to the signing on person as JSA is paid in arrears. Is this advice correct?

Also, I've written a letter explaining my situation for the Job Centre (if they want it) as there is a chance the job will not work out and I may be unemployed again in a few weeks and I've stated on the letter that I should be starting next week but I might ask if i can start friday.

What should I put down as my last day of looking for work or whatever the question is? My instincts tell me to put down yesterday but am I supposed to put down the day before I actually start work?

Comments

• QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I've been offered the chance to do a few weeks work which could lead to a permanent opportunity but I'm confused as to how to sign off.

I cannot find the dedicated number given to sign off, but I called the local job centre in advance of me getting the offer of work as I knew there was a chance I might get the offer and I am/was due to sign today (Thursday) and I want to make sure that I don't break any rules and get accused of doing something wrong etc.
    The guy I spoke to at the job centre said that even if I am due to start work I should still stick to my sign on appointment and talk to the signing on person as JSA is paid in arrears. Is this advice correct?

Also, I've written a letter explaining my situation for the Job Centre (if they want it) as there is a chance the job will not work out and I may be unemployed again in a few weeks and I've stated on the letter that I should be starting next week but I might ask if i can start friday.

What should I put down as my last day of looking for work or whatever the question is? My instincts tell me to put down yesterday but am I supposed to put down the day before I actually start work?

What BRILLIANT and helpful advice from the job centre... Why wouldn't you believe it? Afterall someone on an internet forum is bound to be far superior than someone that actually works at the job centre and has told you what to do.:sleep:
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put down the day before you're due to start work and attend any sign ons before you start work, then sign off the day before.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,550
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    What BRILLIANT and helpful advice from the job centre... Why wouldn't you believe it? Afterall someone on an internet forum is bound to be far superior than someone that actually works at the job centre and has told you what to do.:sleep:

Becasue I've had conflicting information before at various levells and have a look at directgov, they seem very keen on pouncing on people for benefit fraud if they get this wrong!

Its outragous as I don't know their procedures and can only either go with what I'm told or to go by my instinct and get second opinions but they seem to make out that if you get it wrong, then the person is in line to get into trouble.
  • Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have advice from The job centre. If it wrong at worst you have signed on for a couple of extra days? Hardly systematic benefit fraud really, I think they have bigger fish to fry, and it's not fraudulent if that's what you were told.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To sign off, you just fill out the form that it's in your little job seekers booklet, and send it off. They don't let you know they've received it though, at least they didn't with me. I'd still go along to your appointment though, as if you're earning under a certain amount, you can still receive some JSA.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,550
    Forum Member
    You have advice from The job centre. If it wrong at worst you have signed on for a couple of extra days? Hardly systematic benefit fraud really, I think they have bigger fish to fry, and it's not fraudulent if that's what you were told.

The person I spoke to was covering himself with things like "in my view/opinion". I did make the call from my landline, so I'l have a record of the call on my bill if I have to rely on it.

It should be ok in the end i hope.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I did was just turn up at my regular appointment, took the letter of job offer to show them. The signing on guy said "oh, you can't do that here, you have to ring this number" - which I did from the job center phones and the number was for someone in the same office, but the upstairs bit they use for the JS interviews. The lady upstairs was flabbergasted that the guy downstairs had made me ring her instead of just filling in the form himself.

So you're quite right not to completely beleive what they tell you, some of them don't know where their own elbows are, but in the abscence of anyone better qualified you just have to hope that they can find the wits to do something properly.

Tell them you've got a new job. If your new job doesn't pan out then you'll need to get your documents from them for leaving and then start a new claim, don't confuse them at this point with the possibility of it not being a long employment.

If they start with "in my opinion" rubbish - ask them if that's their personal opinion or their opinion as a representative of her majesty's government. If their say personal then insist they give you the other one instead, because that's what they are. If you wanted personal opinons you'd talk to your mates down the pub or some random internet forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just went to my meeting as normal and sorted it out there. Infact I had some communiting costs associated with the job I had just got and they offered to contribute to that until I got my first months pay.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Its outragous as I don't know their procedures and can only either go with what I'm told or to go by my instinct and get second opinions but they seem to make out that if you get it wrong, then the person is in line to get into trouble.

You might want to seek treatment for your paranoia.
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    If you wanted personal opinons you'd talk to your mates down the pub or some random internet forum.

Irony alert.
  • StikoStiko Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Random opinion! I say the OP should try the job to see if they like it before signing off, it'll save you a lot of hassle!!!
  • max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I recently signed off as I started another new job. The best thing to do is to wait until you actually start work obviously so you know exactly when you've started and then call the signing off number and tell them when you started work. It is not worth calling them before hand incase for any reason you don't happen to start on that very day. Doing it this way was recommended by a kind lady in the Jobcentre.