Lady Gaga breaks VEVO record with 'Applause'

Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just confirmed that 'Applause' (video) reached a whoppin' 14.5 MILLION views in the first 24 hours!!

Well done Gaga :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    This is nonsense. She put a link on her twitter account that basically meant anyone who clicked would be getting applause 150 times looped. It’s all fakery and a manipulation she has created herself. Broken records should be about individual success – not by someone stage-managing their own video views.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear that PSY had like 40 million views in 24 hours...
  • dirrrtydirrrty Posts: 8,442
    Forum Member
    I swear that PSY had like 40 million views in 24 hours...

I don't think he is on Vevo.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Just confirmed that 'Applause' (video) reached a whoppin' 14.5 MILLION views in the first 24 hours!!

Well done Gaga :)

It's been out for 3 days and only has 18 million+ views

No way has she got 14,5 in 24 hours
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might want to check your sources on that OP because VEVO haven't mentioned anything and they likely would of by now.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I've read on numerous websites that the 'Applause' music video had just over 7 million views in 24 hours, that's less views than videos by Miley Cyrus, One Direction and Justin Bieber.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Views on sites like VEVO mean nothing. Just like the number of twitter followers these stars have means nothing. It's all artificial nonsense. They employ people to sit and watch their videos hundreds of times per day and set up hundreds of fake twitter/Facebook accounts each.

The only true barometer of success for these people is their sales figures and Gaga has been struggling in both the US and certainly in the UK. The fact is Katy Perry outsold Gaga 2:1 in America, for Gaga that's a huge failure. She should have at least been keeping up with Perry but she was absolutely trounced.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    This is nonsense. She put a link on her twitter account that basically meant anyone who clicked would be getting applause 150 times looped. It’s all fakery and a manipulation she has created herself. Broken records should be about individual success – not by someone stage-managing their own video views.
    Views on sites like VEVO mean nothing. Just like the number of twitter followers these stars have means nothing. It's all artificial nonsense. They employ people to sit and watch their videos hundreds of times per day and set up hundreds of fake twitter/Facebook accounts each.

The only true barometer of success for these people is their sales figures and Gaga has been struggling in both the US and certainly in the UK. The fact is Katy Perry outsold Gaga 2:1 in America, for Gaga that's a huge failure. She should have at least been keeping up with Perry but she was absolutely trounced.

I have to agree with both of these comments. I don't like the way that the amount of followers and likes on Twitter and Facebook, along with views on Youtube is used as a measure of success. It's only to make up for the fact that music sales are down.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did numbers mean anything?

It's music that counts.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask Gaga.^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    And even with these tricks, she couldn't reach 8 million views the first day. :o
  • MissLaurentienMissLaurentien Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    She has three videos in fact, a lyric, audio and music video. Each watched by her crazy Little Monster and refreshed to death. It's obviously not an indicator of how popular her song is.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been reported that she cheated to get such figures.

Its a turd of a tune anyway
  • BobbyMcGeeBobbyMcGee Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady gaga also makes things up re album sales, so cant expect the fans to do much less :D
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Well done LG! I am not at all surprised. She had planned this strategy well. Twitter links and even on the DS article - for some reason ... without clicking on anything other than page scroll I was then taken to the vevo page. I expect that with preorder album, the song counting and vevo hits the song will make into a US number 1. And the song is a grower!
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    while i don't agree that the video views mean nothing, because video views are used to partly calculate the hot 100 in the us, i do agree these figures have been inflated once again by whoever confirmed this. i am surprised this news comes only a day after it was reported that a billboard boss didn't feel "an artist tweeting out and facebooking a link that enables a fan to hit play and leave their computer is not in the spirit of what we chart" and i would have assumed that gaga's team would want to distance her from the negative news report.:o
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if she has broken the record as Vevo hasn't mentioned anything, but regarding the 7m figure - that only includes the 19th, not the remaining hours that spilled into the 20th!

8,500,000 people watched the video on the 20th, Vevo have now got to work out how many of those were in the 24 hours time-limit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough it's only "little monsters" reporting this. If she has it would've been reported on here and many other entertainment news sites.

It could have 300 million still wouldn't make it any better a song.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

that is the strange thing though, the tweet is still there.:confused:
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares?

It's a festering turd of a song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    that is the strange thing though, the tweet is still there.:confused:

Not quite, she originally retweeted a link to the 'illegal' playlist youtube video. She then deleted that tweet after she realised that was against Billboards charts and made her own tweet that was remarkably similar to the original retweet with a link to the VEVO video that will play once and then play a Lady Gaga mix that has all sorts of songs like Robyn and Gwen Stefani.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did numbers mean anything?

It's music that counts.

Because in the US (not sure how it works elsewhere ) Vevo numbers counts towards Billboards charts rankings ;);):cool: so that's why its really important for these artists and their fans.

Not a fan but congrats I guess...shrug.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    Not quite, she originally retweeted a link to the 'illegal' playlist youtube video. She then deleted that tweet after she realised that was against Billboards charts and made her own tweet that was remarkably similar to the original retweet with a link to the VEVO video that will play once and then play a Lady Gaga mix that has all sorts of songs like Robyn and Gwen Stefani.

oh right, that is rather sneaky.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member

That retweeted link was around for mere minutes before she deleted it. It also wasn't within the initial 24 hours IIRC.
    konebyvax wrote: »

That isn't the tweet Bill Werde was referring to, hence why it still exists. That is just a standard Vevo link.