Options

Peter Capaldi is an Awesome Doctor Thread

Comments

• Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    A wiggle of those eyebrows whilst offering jelly babies from an elegant looking cigarette case had me properly..yep The Doctor, amongst many moments, this stands out!

My phone crashed so will resume here on pc proper...

He has the same nuance of past doctors, Peter Capaldi carries it off brilliantly...I can believe he has been the doctors in the past, although his (rei)ncarnation is darker, more insecure and very different of course..and visitng an unfamiliar path after being damaged by the events at Trenzalore...he is finding himself, slowly. And I think he hopes Clara can ultimately underdstand this albeit on his part subconciously..

I may be talking mince to most, but this is my opinion. :)

I can agree with this. But it's not just the events at Trenzalore, he's got the weight of being the caretaker of the Earth and all humanity, and the rest of the universe really, on his shoulders - and now his memory of the War Doctor. Quite a burden to carry, so he's entitled to feel a bit stressed :D
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi went off set to grab a pasty and when he came back he was soaked. Apparently he found a big red button and pressed it.

It was a shower.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Capaldi went off set to grab a pasty and when he came back he was soaked. Apparently he found a big red button and pressed it.

It was a shower.

The Doctor could never resist a Big Red Button. :D

Oh, except in Day of the Doctor, obviously!
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Firegazer's smiling compilation, I decided that the only way to revive my YouTube channel was with Peter Capaldi being an awesome Doctor

That was great!! Thanks.
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Capaldi as an actor and as The Doctor.

But the scripts..:(. ITFOTN being simply the nadir.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Doctor.
    I do wonder though if it wasn't for Chris' incarnation and maybe David's and Matt's popularity, Peter can be so wonderful in his incarnation.

I mean do you think if Peter came in after Chris the show would have been in jeopardy? It needed the younger actors to bolster its popularity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    For me, Capldi has made the prog great again. I loved Tennant and Eccleton's portrayal,s but Smith didn't really do it for until the near end. Capaldi however - wow! He's done away with all the loved-up stuff, and is far more Hartnell with his irascible, slight;y grumpy personality. Long may he continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I mean do you think if Peter came in after Chris the show would have been in jeopardy? It needed the younger actors to bolster its popularity.

Why? I don't understand this idea that young viewers can't cope with an older actor in the part. For children anyone over the age of 20 is old anyway aren't they :D I know when I was growing up watching Doctor Who all the actors playing the part were 'old' and it never bothered me. My three children are 18, 15 and 9 and none of them have batted an eyelid at Peter Capaldi. When it was mentioned in the newspaper about him possibly being too old for young people to relate to I asked my 9 year old, and she'd never even noticed. He's just The Doctor to her.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, don't burn me at the stake.

I cannot take to Peter. I really want to, but there is just something missing for me.

When he was revealed as the new Doctor, I thought brilliant I cannot wait. He is just not grabbing me, not sure if its the writing or what?

I wasn't fussed on Matt but he grew on me as his first season went on. But for some unknown reason Peter is not making me love him.

Oh I am not young, I remember Jon and to be honest he did not grab me either. Loved Tom and cried when he left, I was an older teen then!!:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mighty Tom Baker™ joins the ranks.
    He’s a wonderful choice to play the Doctor. Instantly one felt: this fellow comes from far far away, he’s strange. An instant frisson. And what’s the word? Yes, got it! Alien, he’s an alien. I salute him.”

With Armando Iannucci
    He has great gravitas, but he can flick in a second to moments of beautiful slapstick. The recent episode featuring 2D creatures [Flatline], where he was trapped in a tiny Tardis, was a perfect moment of silly comedy that it would have been easy to mess up. Then the episode ended with him addressing those creatures – 'This planet is under my protection.' It was a tremendously cathartic moment for the Doctor, I think, but it’s a hard combination for an actor to play, and he nailed it.”
    Iannucci is considerate enough to offer a tip for Whovians: keep an eye on Capaldi running in the role. “It’s always hilarious. Stop it, pause it and go back. It’ll be worth it every time.”

The Penguin Run :D

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-10-27/doctor-who-armando-iannucci-and-tom-baker-on-why-peter-capaldi-is-a-great-time-lord

As you can see, Peter is on the cover again for the finale :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was getting my costume fitted and I heard “Where is he where is he!?” And Peter came bounding in, straight from filming as the Doctor.

He took me onto the TARDIS and I watched. I sat in one of those canvas chairs that you get on film sets, and watched him be The Doctor - live in front of me. It was absolutely fantastic… a real treat.”

— Chris Addison on his greeting onto the set of Doctor Who

Ollie returns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    Okay, don't burn me at the stake.

I cannot take to Peter. I really want to, but there is just something missing for me.

When he was revealed as the new Doctor, I thought brilliant I cannot wait. He is just not grabbing me, not sure if its the writing or what?

I wasn't fussed on Matt but he grew on me as his first season went on. But for some unknown reason Peter is not making me love him.

Oh I am not young, I remember Jon and to be honest he did not grab me either. Loved Tom and cried when he left, I was an older teen then!!:blush:

BIB - Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

Personally I love Peter. I loved him from the first moment he appeared as The Doctor. I agree with Tom Baker - he is an alien :D Even though he's spent centuries helping humans and living with humans he's still very much an alien and Peter plays that brilliantly. I've watched for a very very long time too since right at the end of Patrick Troughton. I didn't see Sylvester McCoy or Paul McGann so I can't compare them, but for me Peter Capaldi is right up there with one of the best, if not the best.

Some people really like Christopher Ecclestone but I didn't like him and was glad he bowed out after one series to let decent actors take over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Why? I don't understand this idea that young viewers can't cope with an older actor in the part. For children anyone over the age of 20 is old anyway aren't they :D I know when I was growing up watching Doctor Who all the actors playing the part were 'old' and it never bothered me. My three children are 18, 15 and 9 and none of them have batted an eyelid at Peter Capaldi. When it was mentioned in the newspaper about him possibly being too old for young people to relate to I asked my 9 year old, and she'd never even noticed. He's just The Doctor to her.

No you misunderstood me. Children can accept more than adults. I mean do you think if Peter took over from Chris that he would have garnered the mass appeal of the younger (more handsome) doctors to pull in the casual viewers? Peter now has the capacity to do his 'thing' due to legacy of the other more goofier doctors.

I am posing the question btw not stating it as fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    No you misunderstood me. Children can accept more than adults. I mean do you think if Peter took over from Chris that he would have garnered the mass appeal of the younger (more handsome) doctors to pull in the casual viewers? Peter now has the capacity to do his 'thing' due to legacy of the other more goofier doctors.

I am posing the question btw not stating it as fact.

I understand what you mean now :D

I think he would have because he's so good in the part. Whoever plays The Doctor needs to be able to make the character his own regardless of age (or looks). Mind you as far as I'm concerned anybody is better than Ecclestone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you mean now :D

I think he would have because he's so good in the part. Whoever plays The Doctor needs to be able to make the character his own regardless of age (or looks). Mind you as far as I'm concerned anybody is better than Ecclestone.

Too true :)
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,287
    Forum Member
    After Firegazer's smiling compilation, I decided that the only way to revive my YouTube channel was with Peter Capaldi being an awesome Doctor

Nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They've not been looking properly then. He's not constantly miserable, and he has a lovely twinkle in his eye at times. I think I love him more each episode :blush:

Me too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marbow wrote: »
    For me, Capldi has made the prog great again. I loved Tennant and Eccleton's portrayal,s but Smith didn't really do it for until the near end. Capaldi however - wow! He's done away with all the loved-up stuff, and is far more Hartnell with his irascible, slight;y grumpy personality. Long may he continue.

I'm the same. I thought Eccleston and Tennant were fantastic, but I never warmed to Smith, and was so glad when he left, as I was ready to stop watching Doctor Who. If Smith had stayed for another season, I would have stopped watching Doctor Who, but your right, Capaldi has made the show great again. He's fantastic, long may he reign.
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only he wasn't being written as if on the periphery until the last moment. Totally fed up because they have an absolutely brilliant actor, as a sort of backdrop, to a mind bogglingly boring romance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daleks, The Cybermen & The Master in his debut series...

...even his enemies know that he's awesome ;) Peter must feel lucky, though. :)
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daleks, The Cybermen & The Master in his debut series...

...even his enemies know that he's awesome ;) Peter must feel lucky, though. :)

Certainly a great Doctor, the Master brought his A-Game to try and deal with him!

The anger and disappointment when Gallifrey wasn't there - so sad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Radio Times Poll Results
    Peter Capaldi a good Doctor? ( Poll Closed )

Amazing - he's the best Doctor ever 42.52%

Good - but he's not my favourite 37.53%

It's too early to tell - I'm still undecided 12.03%

Rubbish - bring back Matt Smith 8%

"However, Moffat acknowledged that some might have found it harder to warm to this darker Doctor, and said it was all part of the plan.

“This has been different and designed to make you go: ‘I don’t trust him yet, I don’t know what he’s like - what’s he going to do next?’
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi has said he doesn't want to regenerate too soon and would have his Doctor meet Martin Luther King :)
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capaldi has said he doesn't want to regenerate too soon and would have his Doctor meet Martin Luther King :)

That's encouraging I hope he does atleast three series (the same at tennant and smith) though ideally I would want him to do four as I think he's perfect in the role. I sometimes wonder if he would do just two and leave at the end of series 9 along with Moffatt, hope that's not the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi also likes to "sidestep the marketing opportunities" when it comes to getting a new sonic or keeping the current one.

This is all coming out of a Mark Gatiss event.