This series would have been better if pink was the companion. controversial, but - !!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Ok

I have not enjoyed this series at all. That episode tonight I thought was awful.

I think the show has been bad since clara has been introduced. there has been no real connection between clara as a companion and doctor - matt smith and peter capaldi, not worked with either. And I've loved all companions since the reboot.

mr pink, i think, has all the characteristics of a good companion, only he is screwed because he is used as clara's boyfriend. he has an interesting history, he is calm and cool, can think outside the box, solves problems when he has to, and has a stubborn humanity.

The scene tonight, when mr pink talked about he loves what he sees here in the world and doesn't need any more - he says that to clara. he should be saying that to the doctor as a companion.

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, I'm going to say I think it's really bad form to start a thread basically to put across your opinion with your very post.

That out of the way, the thought did strike me during this episode that it could have been interesting seeing Mr Pink with the Doctor more because the friction between them and Pink's totally different perspective on the Doctor's character and actions to Clara's was interesting. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of it (of course, the series isn't over).

On the other hand, i feel his subplot has been well developed and I think he is an intriguing character, albeit played very too slightly Mr Good Guy the last few episodes, so in that regard, I wouldn't change things.

Besides which, two companions are not really needed. It really began to irk me how Rory was basically Mr Exposition. I like the Doctor and companion (singular) dynamic.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I opened this thread I thought that you wanted Pink the Canadian singer to be the companion.

i 've enjoyed it much more this year than last year. At least Matt Smith isn't there to annoy me.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    the best 2 way partnership was tennant and tate, there is no way the capaldi and pink will be even close to that.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the female companions since the reboot have been great and Clara is no exception. She had brilliant chemistry with Matt and the antagonism with Peter adds a new dynamic. The only duff companion has been the dull Rory and Danny is no better. In fact he's even more dull - there's nothing to him and he either comes across as stupid or incredibly boring. No idea what Clara sees in him beyond the fact that he is occasionally 'nice'.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    All the female companions since the reboot have been great and Clara is no exception. She had brilliant chemistry with Matt and the antagonism with Peter adds a new dynamic. The only duff companion has been the dull Rory and Danny is no better. In fact he's even more dull - there's nothing to him and he either comes across as stupid or incredibly boring. No idea what Clara sees in him beyond the fact that he is occasionally 'nice'.

I have to disagree Amy is the worse companion in the history of the show worse than Adric worse then Mel worse than Dodo.

Rory deserved so much better than the girl who sulked she treated him like something she had trodden in.

I agree though Clara is great one of my favourite companions ever I don't think much of Danny.

On this subject I do think Clara and Rory would have made a much better couple then Rory and Amy and Clara and Danny they seem more comparable and nice and Amy and Danny can have each other both controlling and both sulk a lot.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's tedious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like Clara but she works hell of a lot better with Capaldi than with Smith. However, Smith irritated me too
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's going to be the big hero in the finale, mark my words.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series would have been better if pink never existed so viewers could be spared this awful character!
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    The only bonus I can see to him being a companion and actually travelling with the doctor would be he would stand more chance of dying. Horribly.
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    The only bonus I can see to him being a companion and actually travelling with the doctor would be he would stand more chance of dying. Horribly.

I am still laughing at reading this.

to be honest to have him as a companion would of been a complete nightmare.
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »

let me fix this for you.

The only bonus I can see to him being a companion and actually travelling with the doctor would be he would stand more chance of DYING HORRIBLY. :p
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy and Rory were really good companions. Amy was prepared to let Rory divorce her so he could have the children she couldn't give him with someone else. Thats true love and sacrafice. Rory loved her enough to give up his dream of fatherhood and stay with her. Amy even gave herself to the weeping angels so she could live and die in the past with the love of her life - Rory. Clara and Danny are different but no better of worse. If they get a happy ending will be happy and pleased for them.
    Forum Member
    Amy and Rory were really good companions. Amy was prepared to let Rory divorce her so he could have the children she couldn't give him with someone else. Thats true love and sacrafice. Rory loved her enough to give up his dream of fatherhood and stay with her. Amy even gave herself to the weeping angels so she could live and die in the past with the love of her life - Rory. Clara and Danny are different but no better of worse. If they get a happy ending will be happy and pleased for them.

I never got the impression Amy loved Rory at all at most it was Rory would have to do because The Doctor didn't want her like that but if he had shown the slightest interest she would have dumped Rory before he could blink.

Even the baby thing seemed like a easy excuse to get rid of him.

She treated him like something she had just trodden in always putting him down or making him feel worthless I treat people I hate with more respect then she ever gave him.

When she gave herself to the Weeping Angels it was really out of character for her.

It was always obvious Rory loved her though so much it hurt him.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy and Rory felt like caricatures, and not very interesting ones. At least Danny is not over the top, but mostly there's just no need for him.
    Forum Member
    I never got the impression Amy loved Rory at all at most it was Rory would have to do because The Doctor didn't want her like that but if he had shown the slightest interest she would have dumped Rory before he could blink.

Even the baby thing seemed like a easy excuse to get rid of him.

She treated him like something she had just trodden in always putting him down or making him feel worthless I treat people I hate with more respect then she ever gave him.

When she gave herself to the Weeping Angels it was really out of character for her.

It was always obvious Rory loved her though so much it hurt him.

i also never got the feeling she loved him
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    i also never got the feeling she loved him

She wasn't even against slapping him.

It was said at the time and I agree if the roles were reversed and Rory treated Amy like she treated him there would have been complaints from fans and women's right groups and it would have been called a abusive relationship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm going to say I think it's really bad form to start a thread basically to put across your opinion with your very post.

That out of the way, the thought did strike me during this episode that it could have been interesting seeing Mr Pink with the Doctor more because the friction between them and Pink's totally different perspective on the Doctor's character and actions to Clara's was interesting. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of it (of course, the series isn't over).

On the other hand, i feel his subplot has been well developed and I think he is an intriguing character, albeit played very too slightly Mr Good Guy the last few episodes, so in that regard, I wouldn't change things.

Besides which, two companions are not really needed. It really began to irk me how Rory was basically Mr Exposition. I like the Doctor and companion (singular) dynamic.

lol, so I'm the only one who loves mr pink I guess! But, Mr Tom, I am new to forums and would like to be a contributor, sorry, why is it bad form to start a thread stating my opinion? Don't know forum etiquette I guess so not sure why that was out of line.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drsneddon wrote: »
    lol, so I'm the only one who loves mr pink I guess! But, Mr Tom, I am new to forums and would like to be a contributor, sorry, why is it bad form to start a thread stating my opinion? Don't know forum etiquette I guess so not sure why that was out of line.

No-one else seemed bothered so forget about my objection I guess.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, so I'm the only one who loves mr pink I guess!

No, one of at least two. He's no Harry Sullivan but he's pretty good as calm, reasoning army types go.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »

They're not allowed to post their opinion on a discussion forum because? :confused:
    IWasBored wrote: »
    When I opened this thread I thought that you wanted Pink the Canadian singer to be the companion.

Pink is American. :D
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I don't get all the hatred some here have for Danny. He seems like a decent guy at the moment. He just has something that traumatised him somewhat in his past.

He'd make a good companion, but I don't think he would have worked instead of Clara in the current run of episodes. There is (would have been) no bond between the Doctor and Danny. Both would have been "new" with no past history of a relationship. Why would Danny have chosen to stick with the grumpy, sometimes unpleasant, old man who is also making morally ambiguous choices and doubting himself.

As for those who don't feel that Amy loved Rory: It's unconventional and it's unconventionally displayed, but it's there alright,
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The scene tonight, when mr pink talked about he loves what he sees here in the world and doesn't need any more - he says that to clara. he should be saying that to the doctor as a companion.

I don't understand how that would work - a companion outlining the reasons why he has no interest in being a companion?
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    They're not allowed to post their opinion on a discussion forum because? :confused:

I don't see it as a big issue; after all, most people start threads in order to voice their own opinions. However, it's not really inviting a discussion; it's someone saying their opinion rather than asking what others think and then stating their position on the matter. But to be honest, there's a lot worse examples of somebody starting a discussion thread when they have no intention of having a discussion.

In my opinion, with a bit of work on the character, Danny Pink might work as a companion. It would get rid of any of the awkwardness over whether there's a romance or not and them having to say how old Capaldi is/looks all the time and throwing in a boyfriend character just to drum that home. It's only with Murder on The Orient Express (and I suppose Deep Breath suggested a bit) that we've started to get a sense of any chemistry. Being used to sitcoms, Moffat probably finds it a lot easier to write sexual chemistry and flirty banter, but there are different types of chemistry.