Options

Elaine visiting Dean in the Toilet

The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure if this has come up on here yet, but I was absolutely disgusted to see Elaine walk into the Gents loo, talk to Dean as he urinated, looked at and commented upon his genitals and then threatened to remove them. I know he's a rapist, bad guy, etc etc, but at this point, she isn't aware of that.

A few weeks ago, Shirley walked into the Gents loo also to have a go at Ben. Can you IMAGINE if a male character walked in on a female one squatting down on the loo and commented on her vagina? OUTRAGE.

And if you believe the female characters of EastEnders, every single male character in the show has an undersized appendage, begs the question as to why they are continuing a relationship with a man who cannot satisfy them and why they only comment upon it when they have been dumped. Why does there have to be so much dialogue like that, and nothing about womens parts that isn't then suggested to be disgustingly sexist.

EE helps to perpetuate sexism against men.

Comments

• Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you to a point. Its one of my biggest pet peeves in terms of how things are written. If that was a man going into the toilet while a woman was vulnerable and warning her, there would be complaints galore.

I think in this instance though, we know Dean is a rapist. So the writers probably didn't feel they had to give him any common decency. Plus, all we've seen is Linda in pain and Dean swanning about like he just got laid, so maybe the writers thought it was high time Dean was seen to have something horrible and uncomfortable happen to him.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    With men we get remarks about their penis, with women it's their breasts. We've had young boys tittering over a topless picture from Linda's modelling days, and Phil saying it made him feel sick to make love to Shirley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cant compare penises to breasts. You can only compare penises to a vagina.

Besides, you never hear any comments by male characters about the size of breasts? I never have.

Phil's comment about lovemaking didnt reference any particular part of the body did it?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Besides, you never hear any comments by male characters about the size of breasts? I never have.

Phil's comment about lovemaking didnt reference any particular part of the body did it?

Men do comment on the size and quality of a woman's breasts in exactly the same way as women comment on the size of a man's penis. This is why there is so much insecurity around these parts of the body, and cosmetic surgeons are the wealthiest doctors in the country. I have never heard anyone commenting on the size of a woman's vagina.

We have seen men following women into toilets before....Darren with Heather, where they ended up having sex, and Arthur and Denise where they ended up snogging.
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was quite a novelty for Dean to go into the toilets and just pee really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In real life, yes, both men and women relentlessly and cruelly make comments about penises, breasts and vaginas...but on TV, and in this case, EE, it is ONLY the penis that gets it. Dexter made some vague references about Linda's breasts, not the size of them, just that they were there, Nancy's bloke at the time saw these pictures, showed his friends and of course, paid with naked humiliation, and a few weeks later, Dexter had to drop his pants to show her his cock, with no vulvaic display in kind.

Yes, but are the female characters actually urinating? No. Dean was actually pissing during the scene!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was unusual to see someone actual have a wee in a soap. Usually pub toilets are only used for fights or hushed conversations.

Elaine doesn't know he is a rapist but does think something is going on with Linda, she wants to protect her daughter so I guess that's why she did what she did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And she couldn't have spoken to him in private outside the realms of the mens toilets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In real life, yes, both men and women relentlessly and cruelly make comments about penises, breasts and vaginas...but on TV, and in this case, EE, it is ONLY the penis that gets it. Dexter made some vague references about Linda's breasts, not the size of them, just that they were there, Nancy's bloke at the time saw these pictures, showed his friends and of course, paid with naked humiliation, and a few weeks later, Dexter had to drop his pants to show her his cock, with no vulvaic display in kind.

Yes, but are the female characters actually urinating? No. Dean was actually pissing during the scene!

I do get what you're saying to an extent. But I still think that was a far less humiliating scene than some I've seen on the show, after all no one really believes that Matt has a tiny penis. Most recently that cruel remark Phil made to Shirley hit me as far worse...he may not have spelt it out but we all knew what he was talking about, and his words invited the more shallow section of the audience to laugh along.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not to be pedantic but he actually started urinating after she had left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh know I can see "Urinegate" causing major problems for the BBC!!
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the words of Dot "oh I say!"
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    Forget it being un-PC it was the worst acting I've seen in years and the departing speech as she walked out of the Vic left me incredulous! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wotnot wrote: »
    Forget it being un-PC it was the worst acting I've seen in years and the departing speech as she walked out of the Vic left me incredulous! lol
    I liked her at first, but that last episode she was pure panto. I did wonder why she made such an odd speech as she left the pub, it was like she was never planning on seeing any of them again. Very odd.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't bothered. In Soaps a lot of things happen in the men's room or in the ladies.

Max and Stacey were trapped in a cubicle in the ladies while Sean flirted with Tanya outside that cubicle and asked Stacey for money, which Max gave him in the end.

Zoe told Kat about Den in the men's room.

Ian burst into the ladies when he was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Sean made a move on Tanya in the ladies.

It was probably the only place where Elaine could confront Dean on his own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, but no women peeing in any of the scenes

Why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why?
    I don't really want to see anyone peeing to be honest. Plus it is easier to film a man having a pee and make it more discreet than a woman. There isn't really an issue here surely.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the scene has hilarious tbh. I just found it funny seeing dean in that awkward position. I never use them urinels and avoid public toilets if I can. No risk of awkward moments like that happening to you that way. I'm abit like linda Henry, a private person and rather not use the toilet unless alone as people really put you off while there.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sexism is across the board as far as I can see. Men are weak willed pushovers controlled by their penises, woman are man dependent harridans who think shouting is the only way to speak. This has been in need of addressing for the better part of a decade now. It shocks me that the writing room is full of women and gay men yet this attitude is prevailent in the writing. I'd expect a better representation of the sexes with that in mind.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why?

Wasn't Tosh peeing in scenes a few months ago when she overheard Bianca and Sonia talking about Tina and Sonia's kiss? Even got the duff duff ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sexism is across the board as far as I can see. Men are weak willed pushovers controlled by their penises, woman are man dependent harridans who think shouting is the only way to speak. This has been in need of addressing for the better part of a decade now. It shocks me that the writing room is full of women and gay men yet this attitude is prevailent in the writing. I'd expect a better representation of the sexes with that in mind.

Yes, but the writing never uses derogatory language regarding female genitalia...why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the scene has hilarious tbh. I just found it funny seeing dean in that awkward position. I never use them urinels and avoid public toilets if I can. No risk of awkward moments like that happening to you that way. I'm abit like linda Henry, a private person and rather not use the toilet unless alone as people really put you off while there.

There should be no risk of women coming into the mens toilets anyway...as they aren't allowed in there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but the writing never uses derogatory language regarding female genitalia...why?
    Ummmm I cant think of any derogatory words for female genitalia that can be used at 7.30 on a Tuesday night!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think Ian calling Whitney a walking STD certainly referred to the condition of her genitalia.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't see any pre-watershed tv show using a reference to female genitalia. Elaine and other characters have made reference to male characters having small penises. The only equivalent the male characters could use is to say the women have wizard sleeves and I can't see that being allowed at 7.30 in the evening:D

They could get away with the men saying the women are small breasted. I think that's the best you can hope for:p