Microsoft Office Pro 2003 - HELP!

FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
Forum Member
This little box has appeared on my screen and I can't get rid of the bloody thing!
It won't delete as a programme and I can't even get it off the screeen cos there's no x in the corner to get rid of it.

PLEASE can someone help!

I didn't touch anything, it just appeared about an hour ago and I can't get rid of it.

Comments

• LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since you didn't give us any useful information, nobody can help you.

Try starting again, and describe in more detail what you are seeing, and in which program. MS-Office is not a program, it's a suite of programs.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you describe the bloody thing, make a printscreen? What's written on it, etc?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reboot?

Do a virus scan?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Loobster wrote: »
    Since you didn't give us any useful information, nobody can help you.

Try starting again, and describe in more detail what you are seeing, and in which program. MS-Office is not a program, it's a suite of programs.

It's this installer thing. I don't understand computers so I didn't know details were needed. This is the only way I can describe it.
    It just popped up on the screen last night and I can't get rid of it. I can't even delete the programme. The box that says it's inststalling then it says it can't. Three different little boxes come up. I've tried rebooting, makes no difference. I don't use it. I don't use any office thing.

http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/archive/2007/07/21/how-to-get-rid-of-the-installer-configuration-dialog-when-running-office-2007-and-office-2003-on-the-same-system-for-vista-and-other-versions-of-windows.aspx
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to put your Office disc in and reinstall it - the installer database has probably become corrupt.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have Microsoft Office (any version) installed on your computer at all? Have you ever had it? Was a trial version installed when you bought it perhaps and the trial has expired? What version of Windows are you using? If you have never had Office on the computer then what makes you suspect it is the Office installer? Can you quote the exact full text of the messages that pop up?

The more detail you give the better able we are to help. Otherwise we are just scrambling around in the dark and may suggest things which are completely irrelevant.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Do you have Microsoft Office (any version) installed on your computer at all? Have you ever had it? Was a trial version installed when you bought it perhaps and the trial has expired? What version of Windows are you using? If you have never had Office on the computer then what makes you suspect it is the Office installer? Can you quote the exact full text of the messages that pop up?

The more detail you give the better able we are to help. Otherwise we are just scrambling around in the dark and may suggest things which are completely irrelevant.

I've no idea. I don't understand computers. Someone else set it all up for me. I just hoped getting rid of it was easy for a computer idiot like me. Sadly it's not so I'm stuck with it, obviously.

Thanks anyway.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I've no idea. I don't understand computers. Someone else set it all up for me. I just hoped getting rid of it was easy for a computer idiot like me. Sadly it's not so I'm stuck with it, obviously.

Thanks anyway.
    It should be obvious if you've got Office installed. If you have then there may be a set of icons like this

http://www.freepcclinic.com/images/office_2003_icons.gif

on the desktop. And the Start menu should have an entry for Microsoft Office with Word, Excel and Powerpoint and possibly Outlook listed.

If you go into Control Panel and open the section to uninstall programs you should see Microsoft Office listed. If as you say you never use it then it would be a couple of mouse clicks from there to get rid of it. One click to highlight the entry then another click on the Uninstall button.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,453
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »

Thanks anyway.

Take a screenshot when it appears, paste that into an image program such as Paint, save it to your desktop, upload it to photobucket or somewhere and copy the link into this thread so we can see it.

If you can't do any of these steps, google it or tell us what you can't do, you may need to work at this a bit before anyone can help you. That's computers for you, we all suffer from wasted hours sorting things out sometimes...
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, it's possible that you had the Office installed and something upset it and Office now tries to repair itself. Or you did not have it, but somehow it got installed, but only advertised shortcuts though. And when an advertised shortcut is started, it behaves like this. It tries to install the application before it can run it. If you are positive you have no Office, no Word or Excel shortcuts, go to Control Panel, open Programs and uninstall Office 2003, it should be there. If you do have a proper installation you can try to repair it from the same place. You will be probably prompted to insert a DVD with the Office 2003.