The Ratings Thread (Part 51)

Comments

• Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    BBC played a blinder tonight, gave the millions of One Show fans 15 minutes of bliss then flicked over to see the baby when it actually appeared.

The majority of ITV's coverage was a camera fixed on some doors, though they were nice doors.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    C4 have another 4 part drama in August - Southcliffe. Sounds depressing stuff again - be interesting to see if it's aired over a week or a month.
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/southcliffe
    Provisional schedules suggest neither.

The premiere of Southcliffe is pencilled in for Sunday, August 4 at 9pm (against The White Queen and Law & Order: UK), with part two following on the Monday at 9pm, and nothing scheduled after that so I presume the concluding parts will air Sun/Mon the following week.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - I Love My Country begins on BBC One on Saturday 3rd August at 19:30.
    - In a brilliant piece of scheduling, Channel 4 decide to put one of their only dramas against two other dramas: Southcliffe is on Sunday 4th August at 21:00, continuing on the Monday.
    - Long Lost Britain is now on BBC One on Monday 5th August at 21:00
    - The Field of Blood returns on BBC One on Thursday 8th August at 21:00, finishing on the Friday
    Forum Member
    Latest Channel 5 airdates and times
    Nurses (New Series): Starts Wednesday, August 7 at 8pm
    The Billion Dollar Wreck Hunt (New Series): Starts Monday, August 5 at 8pm
    The Kids with No Memory (New): Tuesday, August 6 at 8pm
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any channel is getting their baby coverage a bit wrong it's understandable. Hard to schedule after all.

So I don't know why anyone is getting upset about dropped programmes or whatnot.

In news terms it's a moon landing.

But just like the later moon missions I sense the general public are not that bothered. It's just mildly interesting stuff...
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV worked that well. They had the larger audience turning up for Emmerdale and presumably they would grudgingly await it or smile happily at the lovely Duchess of C and the baby who is able to be blissfully unaware of the discussion on this thread :D

BBC on the other hand should have gone immediately live to "doorwatch" at the end of the regional opt outs in the same way they do to the proper live One Shows. I saw a bit of the output, not sure the red banded news feed was completely appropriate to the situation (did ITV have any kind of on screen information?) . Nicholas Witchell and whoever it was he was with were just lost with it all, not knowing what had been said (as opposed to the audience) and then having to commentate on it. Ended up saying "yer know" which Im not sure is high on the list of acceptable phrases in the live reporters handbook :D

Beeb caught out this time. I fear for Eastenders as the anti EE brigade might have more ammunition tomorrow.

EDIT: Just an aside but was there a special kind of Stork to bring this baby or what! :D
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    In news terms it's a moon landing.....
    Going where no man has gone before?
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    BBC only got things wrong from a ratings standpoint imo, nothing else, they covered what needed to be covered, no more no less. Did they miss out on anything by not showing an extra 45 minutes coverage of a door, and reporters trying to fill for time? No, not really, they'll just lose out in the "ratings battle" which as were told many times on here, when it suits their agenda, that the BBC shouldn't care about that anyway.

Neither channel did anything wrong tonight, both did what they felt was right but in the end the only thing that mattered was showing the Duke and Duchess emerging with the baby, which they both did live.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    The Beeb, ITV and Sky were given permission to ask 1 question each, but the screaming crowd meant you couldn't hear the questions, only the answers.

the questions were audible on ITV, I could clearly hear Tim Ewert and the other guys

hmm were ITV in charge of the microphones? :p
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, this thread is busy today. Was The Voice on last night or something? :D

Well done ITV - apart from the BBCvistas with their tales between their legs I don't think anyone genuinely expected ITV to come out on top with the news specials. Any figure for the short news report during Corrie - suspect that would be 8m or so.

Good stuff from ITV today too - what on earth were the BBC thinking?
    Dancc wrote: »
    Provisional schedules suggest neither.

The premiere of Southcliffe is pencilled in for Sunday, August 4 at 9pm (against The White Queen and Law & Order: UK), with part two following on the Monday at 9pm, and nothing scheduled after that so I presume the concluding parts will air Sun/Mon the following week.
    Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid. That's the standard response to any C4 scheduling now. Why put drama head to head to head with drama on BBC1 and ITV when a film premiere at 9pm rather than 10pm would likely bring in higher figures for C4.

It's really saying something when Dirty Desmond is running a terrestrial channel better than the C4 team.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC only got things wrong from a ratings standpoint imo, nothing else, they covered what needed to be covered, no more no less. Did they miss out on anything by not showing an extra 45 minutes coverage of a door, and reporters trying to fill for time? No, not really, they'll just lose out in the "ratings battle" which as were told many times on here, when it suits their agenda, that the BBC shouldn't care about that anyway.

Neither channel did anything wrong tonight, both did what they felt was right but in the end the only thing that mattered was showing the Duke and Duchess emerging with the baby, which they both did live.

We did - what I expect most soap viewers did - watch the door live on ITV, then the baby, wait for Emmerdale and set East Enders on record as soon as it was obvious this would run at 7.30 on schedule and clash with Emmerdale.

This will have some effect on ratings but not much when recordings are tacked on.

Apart from the weather changing from freezing Spring (when the episode was recorded) to heatwave summer (when the short scene was) during a 5 minute walk from the Laundrette EE slotted the royal baby seamlessly into the plot. Well done BBC.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the weather changing from freezing Spring (when the episode was recorded) to heatwave summer (when the short scene was) during a 5 minute walk from the Laundrette EE slotted the royal baby seamlessly into the plot. Well done BBC.
    The episode was recorded in June, not spring. :)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    God, this thread is busy today. Was The Voice on last night or something? :D

Well done ITV - apart from the BBCvistas with their tales between their legs I don't think anyone genuinely expected ITV to come out on top with the news specials. Any figure for the short news report during Corrie - suspect that would be 8m or so.

Good stuff from ITV today too - what on earth were the BBC thinking?
    I'm still waiting for your catchphrase...
    "The BBC really should have dropped EastEnders for the night."
    ;)
    Forum Member
    Dave's on demand service is now available to 400,000 YouView users.

Available from launch:
    *Storage Hunters (7 episodes)
    *Russell Howard's Good News (6 episodes)
    *Megatruckers (2 episodes)
    *Not Going Out (2 episodes)
    *Frank Skinner's Opinionated (1 episode)
    *Lizard Lick Towing (1 episode)

Nice clean interface; simple, easy to read and navigate. Really and Yesterday logos also present, but not working yet. No sign of Drama.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest Channel 5 airdates and times
    Nurses (New Series): Starts Wednesday, August 7 at 8pm
    The Billion Dollar Wreck Hunt (New Series): Starts Monday, August 5 at 8pm
    The Kids with No Memory (New): Tuesday, August 6 at 8pm

Intrigued by the latter two titles; Dancc, do you have any information as to what these two shows are about? :)
    Forum Member
    Nine-Nine wrote: »
    Intrigued by the latter two titles; Dancc, do you have any information as to what these two shows are about? :)
    Billion Dollar Wreck Hunt: Odyssey Marine Exploration is a company that leads the way in deep-ocean shipwreck exploration, bringing to the surface submerged treasure that has been hidden beneath the waves for many years. This series follows the company as it undertakes an audacious plan to to locate three shipwrecks and recover their treasures in just four months. The ships on the company’s radar include HMS Victory (not Nelson’s flagship but its predecessor), which sank in 1744, reportedly along with treasure worth hundreds of millions of pounds. The wreck requires an exacting archaeological excavation. The other two wrecks, the SS Mantola and the SS Gairsoppa, demand a different approach involving the use of powerful dissection tools capable of operating in extremely deep waters. In the first episode, Andrew Craig and his team set out on the RV Explorer, Odyssey Marine’s flagship vessel, to try to locate the SS Gairsoppa, a steamer sunk by a German submarine in the darkest days of World War II. Hidden somewhere inside the wreck is silver bullion said to be worth as much as £120 million.

The Kids With No Memory: In Britain alone, thousands of teens are battling with a debilitating memory disorder every day. The amnesia kicks in as soon as they wake up. They cannot remember simple daily routines such as brushing their teeth, eating breakfast or even taking their clothes off before a shower. This film follows the story of three teenage sufferers as they attend a unique summer camp in Yorkshire, run by the Encephalitis Society. Encephalitis is a potentially fatal brain condition and one of its side effects is severe amnesia. Some 4,000 Brits are diagnosed with encephalitis every year. In the run-up to the summer camp, the film follows the three young amnesiacs through their day today lives, witnessing the huge challenges that they and their families face. At the camp, the teens are assigned activities specifically designed to improve their amnesia. The summer camp may not be able to cure the teens’ memory problems, but through it they will acquire new skills, friends and experiences that could improve the quality of their lives forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billion Dollar Wreck Hunt: Odyssey Marine Exploration is a company that leads the way in deep-ocean shipwreck exploration, bringing to the surface submerged treasure that has been hidden beneath the waves for many years. This series follows the company as it undertakes an audacious plan to to locate three shipwrecks and recover their treasures in just four months. The ships on the company’s radar include HMS Victory (not Nelson’s flagship but its predecessor), which sank in 1744, reportedly along with treasure worth hundreds of millions of pounds. The wreck requires an exacting archaeological excavation. The other two wrecks, the SS Mantola and the SS Gairsoppa, demand a different approach involving the use of powerful dissection tools capable of operating in extremely deep waters. In the first episode, Andrew Craig and his team set out on the RV Explorer, Odyssey Marine’s flagship vessel, to try to locate the SS Gairsoppa, a steamer sunk by a German submarine in the darkest days of World War II. Hidden somewhere inside the wreck is silver bullion said to be worth as much as £120 million.

The Kids With No Memory: In Britain alone, thousands of teens are battling with a debilitating memory disorder every day. The amnesia kicks in as soon as they wake up. They cannot remember simple daily routines such as brushing their teeth, eating breakfast or even taking their clothes off before a shower. This film follows the story of three teenage sufferers as they attend a unique summer camp in Yorkshire, run by the Encephalitis Society. Encephalitis is a potentially fatal brain condition and one of its side effects is severe amnesia. Some 4,000 Brits are diagnosed with encephalitis every year. In the run-up to the summer camp, the film follows the three young amnesiacs through their day today lives, witnessing the huge challenges that they and their families face. At the camp, the teens are assigned activities specifically designed to improve their amnesia. The summer camp may not be able to cure the teens’ memory problems, but through it they will acquire new skills, friends and experiences that could improve the quality of their lives forever.

Excellent! Both sound ambitious, especially the latter. Good to see the 8pm slot getting lots of attention.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    I think people do care, but they didn't want to watch rolling coverage of nothing. They found out the news and got on with things. If you add up the peak across all channels it would be high, and Sky News and BBC News probably had an above average day.

But clearly, the coverage was too much.

Yes, I think there's a hardcore of people who will watch rolling news for the sake of rolling news but most viewers are happy to have it all nicely packaged up. The problem for the Beeb in starting at 8.30 is that they had to hang around for the easel, which was after nine, so they were committed to carrying on until 9.30 at least, and then you had the additional problem of the 9pm show being shown around the news.

As I mentioned earlier, it would have been better to have shown that documentary at 9.30, rather than 10.45, because really everything that was going to happen had happened. I dunno why, given they clearly made two versions of that documentary depending on the sex, they didn't make another shorter version with no titles or credits so it could have been seamlessly shoved in the coverage.
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Everyone turned off or over after EastEnders as normal and the BBC announced the news to a nation of no more than 2 or 3 million viewers. Interesting that their peak audience wasn't even at the moment when it was announced

And who predicted all this last night? One Samuel W. If nobody else is going to congratulate him, or even apologise after slagging him off all night, I will. And he was right, it was exactly what ITV viewers wanted to see.

Of course the big question is when BBC1 knew they were going to make the announcement because over the credits of 'stEnders they announced Panorama was next and then did a load of trailers. I really can't believe they didn't have a guess it might have been announced then, and if I'd been running BBC1 I'd have been going over for brief updates in between all the programmes anyway. If they'd actually said over the 'stEnders credits that next they were going to update us - even if nothing had happened and it was just Nicholas Witchell telling us that before Panorama came on - maybe a load more people would have stayed watching, but as it is everyone just switched over to Corrie and were none the wiser until ITV announced it.

Funnily enough it was announced on BBC2 before BBC1 as going into Count Arthur Strong (which I'm enjoying a bit more week by week) they said "breaking news on BBC1 now".
    Fudd wrote: »
    BBC One have just started The One Show - Best of Britain... which really surprises me to say the least.

I am absolutely staggered by that, surely everyone on the entire planet knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later. Given how quick they normally are to do news specials at the drop of a hat, a One Show compilation really was the ultimate in disposable telly and I'm flabbergasted they even started it. They certainly knew they were never going to get to the end of it. An amazing decision.

What also made it worse was that the annoucement into it said "'stEnders, Holby City, Luther, Tuesday night on BBC1", which seemed a hostage to fortune anyway but just emphasised the fact they appeared to be carrying on as usual. It wouldn't have hurt to say "If there's any news from the hospital, we'll go straight there but in the meantime here's The One Show"? They could have had to yank it off after two minutes.

I know everything got on live but it wasn't very elegant. I have no idea what BBC1 presentation were thinking. Surely even the most clueless viewer would have suggested not starting the One Show just in case.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    - I Love My Country begins on BBC One on Saturday 3rd August at 19:30.
    - In a brilliant piece of scheduling, Channel 4 decide to put one of their only dramas against two other dramas: Southcliffe is on Sunday 4th August at 21:00, continuing on the Monday.
    - Long Lost Britain is now on BBC One on Monday 5th August at 21:00
    - The Field of Blood returns on BBC One on Thursday 8th August at 21:00, finishing on the Friday

Of course, the big unveiling tonight was not baby Mel Smith Windsor but the I Love My Country trailer, which appeared before 'stEnders. Certainly the scheduling and the trailer itself suggests this indeed isn't the bog-standard panel game I expected, it looks far more active and ambitious. I'm also guessing that, regardless of its merits (and given Frank Skinner is involved, it must surely be fairly amusing) everyone in the planet will slag it off cos it looks a bit brash. Is Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade on that Saturday as well?

No idea The Field of Blood was coming back until I saw the trailer the other day. Quite enjoyed that first time round (when of course it was in a 10.35 slot as it had already been shown on BBC Scotland). They said last night that Long Live Britain would be shown next Monday so maybe they've changed their mind again. Heaven knows what BBC1 presentation are doing at the moment.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, the big unveiling tonight was not baby Mel Smith Windsor but the I Love My Country trailer, which appeared before 'stEnders. Certainly the scheduling and the trailer itself suggests this indeed isn't the bog-standard panel game I expected, it looks far more active and ambitious. I'm also guessing that, regardless of its merits (and given Frank Skinner is involved, it must surely be fairly amusing) everyone in the planet will slag it off cos it looks a bit brash. Is Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade on that Saturday as well?
    Yep it's...
    5.35 Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
    7.30 I Love My Country
    8.20 The National Lottery: Break the Safe
    9.10 Casualty (back after its... err... summer break)
    10.00 Mrs Brown's Boys
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And who predicted all this last night? One Samuel W. If nobody else is going to congratulate him, or even apologise after slagging him off all night, I will. And he was right, it was exactly what ITV viewers wanted to see.
    To be fair Samuel was only predicting that so he could ramp up ITV's victory over BBC1, so when it didn't happen, as it generally doesn't, it would be a massive disaster rather than just the expected outcome.

Of course ITV did win which never happens so it didn't quite work out like that.
    I am absolutely staggered by that, surely everyone on the entire planet knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later. Given how quick they normally are to do news specials at the drop of a hat, a One Show compilation really was the ultimate in disposable telly and I'm flabbergasted they even started it. They certainly knew they were never going to get to the end of it. An amazing decision.

What also made it worse was that the annoucement into it said "'stEnders, Holby City, Luther, Tuesday night on BBC1", which seemed a hostage to fortune anyway but just emphasised the fact they appeared to be carrying on as usual. It wouldn't have hurt to say "If there's any news from the hospital, we'll go straight there but in the meantime here's The One Show"? They could have had to yank it off after two minutes.

I know everything got on live but it wasn't very elegant. I have no idea what BBC1 presentation were thinking. Surely even the most clueless viewer would have suggested not starting the One Show just in case.

Indeed, considering we get news specials about snow in the south of England (I'm surprised we haven't had a heatwave news special to be honest), going into a repeat of The One Show was a very strange decision.

I don't think there has ever been such a messy link into some breaking news on BBC1. Even major situations like 9/11 had presentation before them

Yes BBC1 viewers didn't miss anything, but the news has to breathe.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    That's not enough time to rest Casualty. Back after only a couple of weeks off. A new show needs to be found for that drama place.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC One ought have had picture in picture door cam.....then gone full screen on the door at the right moment, BBC News stuck with the door.

I dipped into Sky News today, but BBC was better due to no ads. That is the last of the breaking events anyway.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    That's not enough time to rest Casualty. Back after only a couple of weeks off. A new show needs to be found for that drama place.

That is incorrect. It is one week off.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That will be Casualty getting low ratings then.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

It was fairly obvious what Samuel was doing. I don't think anyone expected ITV to come out on top last night, least of all him; it was a standard ratings thread tactic, overestimate the ratings so you can emphasise how badly it did next day when it doesn't meet the expectations they've set. And of course, ITV didn't get the 6 million Samuel 'predicted' last night, hence his post this evening playing down the fact ITV beat the BBC by the suggestion that it should have been a couple of million higher, but that of course BBC1 did as well as it was always going to do. Ludicrous.
This discussion has been closed.