Options

Partial Recordings on 9200

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
Forum Member
Has anyone recorded a programme from the guide, which appears to be for the expected duration when viewing the recording in the Recordings List, only to find that you can only play part of the recording?

This has happened twice since I bought my box in November.

When attempting to watch the programme it starts playing partway through the expected programme, and only part of the programme can be watched. When attempting to "rewind" the programme it will always return to the starting point that is part-way through, rather than to the actual start of the programme. :mad:

The second instance of this was for a C-Beebies recording. I can't remember the channel for the first instance.

I'm still running the original software.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    This is most likely a problem with the clock or the time signal sent out with the Freeview signal. There have been a number of posts where people have reported time synchronisation problems.

It appears some transmitters/channels have been showing the wrong time. This would then cause the PVR to start/stop recording at the wrong time.

Not sure what to recommend other than to keep an eye on what time the PVR's clock is showing - though as time sets automatically I'm not sure how to fix it if it's wrong!

Jonathan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, I cant find the post in this massive site, but I remember seeing one from someone who recorded cbeebies one morning and could only play 60 seconds of the 25 minute file.

There are the usual things that can happen, like news bulletins or entertainment updates bang in the middle of a programme or film and rightly or wrongly they have their own entry in the freeview EPG. Its easy to record the first part without realising there is another part of it just out of view within the current time span on the EPG screen. the other one is when at the time of the recording the schedule has a lot of slippage - like my recording of that referee programme after the chanpions league game the other night: the champs league game ate loads into my scheduled recording and so I missed loads off the end - not just a few minutes either.

Though this happens to people a lot, I dont think this is hats happening to you Hermit. What happened (in the post I can not find) about the short cbeebies recording i reported to Humax. I know it was only one post but I did it for completness, and for me to do that i must have heard of it happening before, however rare.

Was your recording of cbeebies the first programme of this part time channel? or was in well into the day the recording took place?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies, folks.

Sorry, I should have clarified in my post that this is not due to a programme starting late, clock synchronisation etc. I usually adequately pad my recordings.

My problem is that I recorded a programme that was 30 mins long, the programme shows as being 30 mins long on the recordings list, but I can only play the last 15 mins of the programme (I've used these timings as examples BTW).

I don't think it was the first programme of the day on c-beebies, but I remember that the 1st instance was a with programme that I had recorded late at night on a full time channel.

Cheers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have experienced this. A long recording, maybe 4 hours, of a Rossini opera. I think it was BBC4 in January. I could only play the final 2 minutes. I tried splitting it in two but the result was a large unplayable file and a 2 minute playable file. I had been simultaneously watching the same programme from the buffer and wondered if this had introduced an error.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    i've had it a couple of times when i have tried to record 2 or 3 programs on the bounce , the first only records a couple of minutes and the others don't record at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scuffer, again another post I remember reading about, probably months ago by someone. He was adement that only the padded end part of a scheduled timer recorded. Could this be what has happened here with you - the last 2 minutes. And if so, that would explain why the next 2 programmes didnt record because we already know you cant pad the end time of a recording that overlaps into consecutive recorings on the same channel. The second part definately a bug of sorts but the first part is potentially a new one. Maybe you got hit with a double whammy!
  • Options
    chrisdorchrisdor Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I recorded Little Britain on BBC3 and padded the end so the total time recorded was 39 minutes. I could only then play from minute 30 to 39. Rewinding didn't help as it always stopped at 30 mins and started playing from there!! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisdor wrote:
    I recorded Little Britain on BBC3 and padded the end so the total time recorded was 39 minutes. I could only then play from minute 30 to 39. Rewinding didn't help as it always stopped at 30 mins and started playing from there!! :mad:

Unfortunately I can't remember for sure now but this is possibly what happened to me. In my earlier post I said I could only play the last 2 minutes but it could have been a bit more: perhaps about 5 minutes that I had padded at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case I think my initial suspicion may be right. This could be the start of a new bug being defined. With so many thousands of posts and contributors here I suspect it could take a bit of a conserted effort to flush this out from 3 posts; to an extent where it can be replicated or understand what can make it happen (apart from messing the editing section up by inadvertantly making a change in the wrong section of the line).

Is there any other information about the recording that can be rememered e.g. manual timer/EPG selected
    time of the programme, channel, name
    Time stamp (from/to) in the playlist
    Repeat timer/single record
    Is it one of two or more consecutive recordings on the same channel
    etc etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    for marcdavis, I never pad my recordings , will try again over next few nights and see what happens or if I can get a pattern
  • Options
    chrisdorchrisdor Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    marcdavis, I can't remember much about it so this is probably not much use!
    EPG timer with 10 minutes padding at the end
    BBC3, Little Britain
    Single recording
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    theHermit wrote:
    Has anyone recorded a programme from the guide, which appears to be for the expected duration when viewing the recording in the Recordings List, only to find that you can only play part of the recording?
    I've had the same problem with the first recording of the day from CBeebies (I take it you've got kids too!) and posted to a different thread my experience.

The problem seems to be the first recording of a part time channel, like Cbeebies and CBBC which become BBC3 and BBC4 at certain parts of the day. I was recording Teletubbies for my girls, and the 1st in the morning always recorded short. The mid day recording was fine. The trick seemed to be to record some rubbish (from Cbeebies) before the program I actually wanted, and then the scheduled recording of what I wanted worked fine.

Other than this issue, I've not missed any recordings. I always use the EPG, and don't pad the recordings. The box is on virtually all day, and put into standby at night.

I never investigated further, but perhaps I'll try recording a couple of things off BBC3 this evening, if I'm right, the first should record short, but the second should be fine.

Neil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have had this fault once, in January. I recorded a 1h 45min programme on BBC4 and added 10 min padding at the end. The play list showed the programme title with the correct times. When I tried to replay it, the red marker on the play bar started at 1.44.06 and it wouldn't move back to the beginning (1.44.06 was the start of the following programme, which it played OK for the 10 minutes). The file size was only 450Mb, so presumably only the last 10min were recorded.
    This was a single scheduled recording from the EPG. I had/have the original software.

Another post concerning this issue was

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=339006
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    In that case I think my initial suspicion may be right. This could be the start of a new bug being defined. With so many thousands of posts and contributors here I suspect it could take a bit of a conserted effort to flush this out from 3 posts; to an extent where it can be replicated or understand what can make it happen (apart from messing the editing section up by inadvertantly making a change in the wrong section of the line).

Is there any other information about the recording that can be rememered e.g. manual timer/EPG selected
    etc etc

Hi. I had same problem monday 1.00 pm to 1.47 pm 2 minute pad on end. recording from radio 7, nothing else recording, single record, shows as complete recording, but could only play padding on end.
    1st time for this bug. was on bbc1 durring recording.

Brian
  • Options
    ChrisHayChrisHay Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:

etc etc

Been attempting to record the double episodes of Voyager on Channel 5 in the afternoon this week. Set the first episode with the timer from the EPG and then padded the end by another hour to also record the second episode all on one file. Day 1 recorded for just over an hour capturing all of the first episode and a few minutes of the second.
    Day 2 recorded nothing at all. I checked the schedule and it is still set up to record for 2 hours.
    Have used the EPG to record each episode separately from today.
    Have previously used manual padding and it is has worked OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys this extra info is going to prove really useful.

I did a test last night before i went to bed I set up to record teletubbies on cbeebies from the EPG (06:00 to 06:25) and it was the first programme to air on this time shift channel.

It didnt work. The unit was in standby at the time. When I came down this morning I opened up the playlist and it had the correct entry for teletubbies with the correct time from and to and the date. When I play it the recording starts from the last minute or two t the end of the recording. I can seem to rewind or get it back to the start. The size of the file befits the amount I can watch - but I have forgotten what the size was - 2Mb?

I have set it up to record again the same programme that is being broadcast during the day. I have also set it up to record again at the same time tomorrow morning (06:00) but with the machine fully on (I will set up a startup timer for something like 05:00). After this I will try the same thing with the beta software.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Thanks guys this extra info is going to prove really useful.

I did a test last night before i went to bed I set up to record teletubbies on cbeebies from the EPG (06:00 to 06:25) and it was the first programme to air on this time shift channel.

It didnt work. The unit was in standby at the time. When I came down this morning I opened up the playlist and it had the correct entry for teletubbies with the correct time from and to and the date. When I play it the recording starts from the last minute or two t the end of the recording. I can seem to rewind or get it back to the start. The size of the file befits the amount I can watch - but I have forgotten what the size was - 2Mb?

I have set it up to record again the same programme that is being broadcast during the day. I have also set it up to record again at the same time tomorrow morning (06:00) but with the machine fully on (I will set up a startup timer for something like 05:00). After this I will try the same thing with the beta software.

Update, the cbeebies this morning at 06:00 worked (first programme on this part time channel. Full programme recorded. As I mention yesturday, I set this one up in the same way from the EPG, except this time I set the autowakeup timer to switch the machine on at 05:00.

The recording I scheduled to record the teletubbies during the day yesturday also worked.

This was done with the original firmware released. I'll try it with the latest beta but I dont have any notes to say this part time channel bug in standby is fixed in that one. However the radio recording bug in standby is fixed and resolved the problem of UFO not recording in standby. So this is worth a go
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc

I've left Beta 3 on my machine, if you want me to try a recording.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry wrote:
    Marc

I've left Beta 3 on my machine, if you want me to try a recording.

Hi barry. Brill. If you look in the epg for teletubbies on cbeebies for 06:00 it should be the first programme on that channel. NB this one should be tested with the machine in standby at the time. Many thanks!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    The only partial recordings we've seen have all been radio, frequently we get just the announcers intro before the *start* of a programme and nothing else. Not tried for several months because so few recordings worked at all we've given up even trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Hi barry. Brill. If you look in the epg for teletubbies on cbeebies for 06:00 it should be the first programme on that channel. NB this one should be tested with the machine in standby at the time. Many thanks!!

Marc

With Beta 3

Full recording with no problem - plays right through

Length reported as 782Mb, 34mins 45 sec
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry wrote:
    Marc

With Beta 3

Full recording with no problem - plays right through

Length reported as 782Mb, 34mins 45 sec

Barry I've logged in this morning to see what the results were f your test. This is good news brill. The length of my recording with original software in standby was something like 25Mb and only shows the last minute or two. Even though the time stamps said something like 06:00 to 06:30. The other ones on this thread need to be checked out so I'll do some more this week seeing as we have a copy of the beta still
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Barry I've logged in this morning to see what the results were f your test. This is good news brill. The length of my recording with original software in standby was something like 25Mb and only shows the last minute or two. Even though the time stamps said something like 06:00 to 06:30. The other ones on this thread need to be checked out so I'll do some more this week seeing as we have a copy of the beta still

Marc

I'm still trying to get back up to speed with all that is going on, but will try some more tests as well.

I'll do the same again tomorrow for teletubbies, from st/by, and try Star Trek Voyager setting first episode from the EPG padded by 1 Hour.....no indication in the post referring to this prob if box was in st/by or not, so will go with st/by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondered where this thread had gone after filtering thru' some of the rubbish spouted on other threads since yesterday.

Anyway Both tests set yesterday...post #24. Teletubbies (again), and Star Trek Voyager have recorded correctly using 03 software.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry wrote:
    Wondered where this thread had gone after filtering thru' some of the rubbish spouted on other threads since yesterday.

Anyway Both tests set yesterday...post #24. Teletubbies (again), and Star Trek Voyager have recorded correctly using 03 software.

I think we need more details about what exactly happened in and around the voyager report as its not crystal clear. Chris?

Appart from that one, what seems common in this thread and the one that was referenced here is the BBC channels (cbeebies, BBC3, BBC4) but maybe that was coincidence.