Emma Crosby on 5 News

DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
Forum Member
Seeing as she's left the GMTV building, I thought it was time to start up a new thread.

What's the consensus on how she's doing on 5 News?

Comments

• Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks great, highly competent newsreader, but don't think the 5 News set suits her.
    Whenever I see her I think "Poor woman, they're making her stand up again". I just want to bring her a stool and a cup of tea :D
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's beautiful is all that matters
  • belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good presenter who's wasted on channel 5 news. How many people actually watch 5 let alone the news?
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,465
    Forum Member
    I just wish that she did the Five News at Five.
  • Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    c0bo wrote: »

No, I'm glad she presents the 7pm News. I leave work at 5pm
    so I never watch it as for some strange reason it's doesn't appear on '5 on Demand'. So thanks goodness she presents the 7pm News when I'm back from work.

I agree with the others that she's a fantastic presenter too good for Channel 5. She was really good when she covered the BBC 1pm News during their strike a fe months ago. I wih the BBC would give her a job as a newsreader on the BBC News Channel.
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,465
    Forum Member
    Peter E wrote: »
    so I never watch it as for some strange reason it's doesn't appear on '5 on Demand'. So thanks goodness she presents the 7pm News when I'm back from work.

I agree with the others that she's a fantastic presenter too good for Channel 5. She was really good when she covered the BBC 1pm News during their strike a fe months ago. I wih the BBC would give her a job as a newsreader on the BBC News Channel.
    Or here is a suggestion maybe Emma could do both the 5pm News and the 7pm News.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »

I prefer the lovely Matt Barbet;)
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    I think the 5pm bulletin should be double-headed and Matt & Emma can alternate every week on the 7pm bulletin.
    Forum Member
    Emma is too good for Channel 5. She was wronglyl advised.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good move from her. An opportunity to bring Emma's personality and style to the fore and make the show exciting.

Previous presenter Isla Traquair did well on the show and I had little idea who she was before it.

It's a pity the 5 news is relatively short and it should fill the 30 minute slot completly. The longer 5 news is the more new ideas could be tried out on it.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mb@2day wrote: »
    Emma's personality and style

You must own a very powerful microscope to be able to detect those.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 News gets more viewers than GMTV did by the end. It achieves 1 million viewers daily
  • aussie_dave_aussie_dave_ Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why News Presenters are such a big deal. They read the words in front of them. Thats it. They don't add emotion. They don't add their own commentary.

Its like ... 'Can you read?' .... OK job done.

Its like that other guy from ITV who retired, Trevor whats-his-name. Talk about an overblown difference between public perception and what he ACTUALLY does.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually those days have largely gone when they are just reading off a screen. A lot of them are trained journalists who will contribute largely such as planning interviews
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    I don't get why News Presenters are such a big deal. They read the words in front of them. Thats it. They don't add emotion. They don't add their own commentary.

Its like ... 'Can you read?' .... OK job done.

Its like that other guy from ITV who retired, Trevor whats-his-name. Talk about an overblown difference between public perception and what he ACTUALLY does.
    Nonsense. Not everyone would be able to slip into that role. And if you think reading the autocue is all there is to it then you are very mistaken.
  • aussie_dave_aussie_dave_ Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Nonsense. Not everyone would be able to slip into that role. And if you think reading the autocue is all there is to it then you are very mistaken.

Your speech sounded good but didn't actually enlighten me as to what they exactly do beyond read words from an autocue.

If they are also managing Barclays Bank in between stories, then Im more than happy to hear about it.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaditano wrote: »
    You must own a very powerful microscope to be able to detect those.

Indeed I do........:p

She could work on these a little, the shows a blank canvas at present so input from her can't do any harm in anyway. It's nice to see 5 news is gently recovering after a couple of airhead years. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    The main thing I remember about her from 5 News is when she was reading about the Catherine Zeta Jones story and she said "bipo-LAR disORster".

Not good, Crosby
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Actually those days have largely gone when they are just reading off a screen. A lot of them are trained journalists who will contribute largely such as planning interviews
    Yes, that was the excuse used to boot out Moira Stuart. She was a trained newsreader but not a journalist and so no longer fitted in with the new BBC ways of working.

Of course the real, hotly disputed by the BBC reason, was that the Beeb thought that she was past it!! :(

Poor Emma though. Thought she'd made her big break out of the newsroom into more mainstream TV only to have to go back to the newsroom. Oh well! Still earns plenty no doubt!
    Forum Member
    5 News at 5 should be double-headed.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad that Emma managed to get another TV job after ITV completely done the dirty on her.
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. Leave Emma on when I am back from work!!
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm so glad that Emma managed to get another TV job after ITV completely done the dirty on her.

yep she didnt deserve that, great to see she is still around and looking fabulous as usual
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    Danslink wrote: »
    5 News at 5 should be double-headed.
    Not double-headed as such, but Matt did a piece with Emma at the top of tonight's programme on her interview with Kate and Gerry McCann. Maybe someone is listening. ;)
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or has Emma's appointment been useless?

5 News at 7 hasn't been on for yonks thanks to cricket and football.

At most, Emma is only working two times a week!