Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know the reason for 10 year old Eagles and Springsteen compilations being in the Top 20?
    The Bruce Springsteen album is a new compilation which was released on Monday and which is TV advertised. The Eagles album seems to be from 2008 so I can only assume there has been some repromotion of the album. I think it may also have been advertised on TV in recent days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The Eagles album seems to be from 2008 so I can only assume there has been some repromotion of the album. I think it may also have been advertised on TV in recent days.

BBC Two showed the History of the Eagles documentary last weekend.....
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take exception to you saying the 1970s TOTP's were "staid" (maybe from about 1974) but the (late 60s) and early 1970s are actually exciting and cutting edge and pretty unanimously agreed to be the peak of TOTP's whole run (going by comments on the net by those who know about these things). The dancing and the audiences look like they're the crowd from hip London clubs, the djs are pretty freaky and the whole shows are actually imaginative and "youth" the 1980s TOTP's were about as far from cool to 80s youth as I imagine the 1974-1979 shows were to 70s youth.

BIB - there's a short clip on YouTube of the intro, chart rundown and outro of the TOTP episode originally transmitted in colour on 29 January 1970 which survives as a black and white print and possibly includes the sort of 'freaky-deaky dancing' LittleGirlOf7 referred to.

It was presented by Jimmy Savile who is seen after the chart rundown holding a collection of fluffy toys - gifts sent to him from Leeds University and Broadmoor. When this show was transmitted 43 years ago a third of the population watched TOTP and most people would assume he attended Broadmoor for purely altruistic reasons. If, as seems likely, the main purpose of his visits to the top security hospital was to use mental patients for his own sexual gratification, it must take some brass neck to draw attention to his association with the institution in front of approx. 17 million viewers, knowing what he knew. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60hloY3G66Q
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Couldn't you say the reason these decades were good was music was evolving. Compare a TOTP from 1976 to 1979, for example, the 1976 one would be full of disco, ballads, pop and novelty records, the 1979 one show would have a mixture of two tone, the tail end of disco and punk, the mod revival, NWOBHM and synthesiser acts.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here, although Keicar revealed that, even in 1979, there were ample examples of the history of bad taste in the novelty records.:)
    Forum Member
    BIB - there's a short clip on YouTube of the intro, chart rundown and outro of the TOTP episode originally transmitted in colour on 29 January 1970 which survives as a black and white print and possibly includes the sort of 'freaky-deaky dancing' LittleGirlOf7 referred to.

It was presented by Jimmy Savile who is seen after the chart rundown holding a collection of fluffy toys - gifts sent to him from Leeds University and Broadmoor. When this show was transmitted 43 years ago a third of the population watched TOTP and most people would assume he attended Broadmoor for purely altruistic reasons. If, as seems likely, the main purpose of his visits to the top security hospital was to use mental patients for his own sexual gratification, it must take some brass neck to draw attention to his association with the institution in front of approx. 17 million viewers, knowing what he knew. :rolleyes:

Yes, and a further reminder that these extraordinary repeats have been undermined by an even more extraordinary story; the exposure in at least Savile's case, of TOTP as a hub of something deeply alarming.

Still these shows remain an exceptional social history (and even more if they could just be unfurled week on week). TOTP may have had the odd agenda (who got on that was not in the chart), but because the music is defined by what is going up the chart you can see the British music industry slowly develop. Not only this, but we learn so much about what is happening in the outside society too.

These shows are entertainment, but they are seriously valuable as well.:cool:
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This clip also reveals something else disturbing - Brotherhood of Man were even knocking around the show as early as 1970!
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

That is indeed the freaky deaky dancing I was referring to.

I particularly like the Jarvis Cocker lookalike and the girl with the jewelled Alien on her face.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you may have as you mentioned watching Tami Lynn performing 'I'm Gonna Run Away From You' on TOTP (from 17-06-71) on YouTube 4 days after you joined Digital Spy. :)

I think you may be right Fave St. You've been doing your homework! ;)

A great track it is too. Very 60's sounding for 1971 I always thought. Then discovered it came from 1965!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    This clip also reveals something else disturbing - Brotherhood of Man were even knocking around the show as early as 1970!

Different line up, I was under the impression from reading elsewhere!

Never repeated by TOTP 2 either.

Think they had to show a Kenny Rogers clip to prove the show existed once?
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Err I think I'll pass on Keegan's attempts to be a pop singer, but yes the permed one had a couple of minor hits. I'm sure Brian Clough released a record around this time telling the hooligans to stop fighting, not that it did much good.
    Yet back a bit more on topic, the whole seventies were a decade of rapid change and constant improvement with music. 1970 was vastly different to 1979, for example.

:confused: Constant change maybe, constant improvement definitely not. I like as many songs from the early 70s as the late 70s, if not more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The Bruce Springsteen album is a new compilation which was released on Monday and which is TV advertised. The Eagles album seems to be from 2008 so I can only assume there has been some repromotion of the album. I think it may also have been advertised on TV in recent days.

Thanks, but looking on iTunes, it says they were both released in 2003.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    little ern wrote: »
    BBC Two showed the History of the Eagles documentary last weekend.....

Oh yeah, forgot about that! Thanks.
  • eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »

Thanks Darnall42 :)
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

40 min verson, too. Many thanks :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    So, the 29th June DLT edition looks like the first showing of the film clip of "You're The One That I Want".

I still maintain that the 22nd June edition wasn't doctored and was as went out then as just before the end of the dance routine, Kid Jensen's face is screen faded in before finally coming back to him.

Now considering some of the butchered edits they've done to some of the 7.30 shows previously and given the attitude that the BBC is showing to TOTP currently, there is no way they would go to such trouble and effort.

The next non-Yewtree'd edition is Peter Powell on the 6th July so that will definitely tell us whether movie clip rights are being paid for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Westy2 wrote: »

Apparently the line-up of BOM which won Eurovision back in 1976 first got together in 1973....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Man

And they're still together 40 years later...

http://www.brotherhoodofman.co.uk
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    little ern wrote: »
    Apparently the line-up of BOM which won Eurovision back in 1976 first got together in 1973....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Man

And they're still together 40 years later...

http://www.brotherhoodofman.co.uk
    Here's a clip of the BOM on wheeltappers from 1974 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEvnZ1y7qFY
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    Here's a clip of the BOM on wheeltappers from 1974 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEvnZ1y7qFY

Thanks Darnall

Looks like a forerunner of a onesie :D
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

The original line-up - whose few songs that I know are, for me, way, way better than anything the mid-70s line-up ever managed - included some late 60s/early 70s pop royalty: Tony Burrows, also vocalist in Edison Lighthouse, White Plains and First Class; Sunny, who hit the Top 10 in 1974 with 'Doctor's Orders'; and Roger Greenaway, co-writer of hits for Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon, the Fortunes, Blue Mink, Cilla Black, the New Seekers and Gene Pitney.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, the 29th June DLT edition looks like the first showing of the film clip of "You're The One That I Want".

I notice there's some very dodgy framing on the clip in that episode compared to the version that Magic TV show regularly! One of the pitfalls of 4:3 pan/scan I guess though.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    1979 was not without its novelty records, The Ramblers, Fiddlers Dram, Driver 67, Violinsky, Dickies, The Monks, Kevin Keegan, Quantum Jump, Chas & Dave, Telex and there are more!

Indeed - how could you leave this one off your list ...? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldJCeZjcBo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    That track was originally released by BOM Mk1 in 1971 and you have to say that it is not too bad a version of it by Mk 2.

Wonder why they didn't carry on recording this type of material rather than the dated cabaret type stuff they later had hits with?
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    The original line-up - whose few songs that I know are, for me, way, way better than anything the mid-70s line-up ever managed - included some late 60s/early 70s pop royalty: Tony Burrows, also vocalist in Edison Lighthouse, White Plains and First Class; Sunny, who hit the Top 10 in 1974 with 'Doctor's Orders'; and Roger Greenaway, co-writer of hits for Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon, the Fortunes, Blue Mink, Cilla Black, the New Seekers and Gene Pitney.

Early seventies classics all. Yes, there is the story about Burrows being banned from TOTP for being in three groups on one show. If only they had banned Savile.:eek:

I suppose they went with the name. I think there must have been some connection in Mark 2 to the original Mark 1 (record company maybe). I don't think Mark 2 is bad. Their version of Diana Trask's Oh Boy The Mood I'm In was an inspired choice for a single.. Save All Your Kisses is cleverly crafted, and the er . . Abba impersonations. They were no Bucks Fizz closet progressive rockers anyway, with Pete Sinfield writing their best stuff;( could not have invented that one either). But they have endured, if only because two are married.:eek:
    Forum Member
    O, Yeh. Beach Baby. Pop genius. grudging top twenty hit here, but a worthy follow-up seven years later to Let's Go to San Francisco. Made number four in the States in 1975. Love Grows was number five in the States, and a brilliant pop record. So Mark 1 is indeed pop royalty. Wow.
This discussion has been closed.