Dennis Skinner voted off the Labour NEC

13»

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    No matter what you think of Dennis he always seemed to be there no matter how full or empty parliament was , he made very little contribution as of late but he did take the job seriously , I would sooner see him retire now and not become a figure of fun , respect to you Dennis

he is always there. there is a quote something like that if you were working in the pit and you didn't turn up for work you'd be sacked. he also wont use the paring system. of the tories: i wont cover them whilst they "go swanning off to Ascot or to their boardrooms"

not sure when he does his constituency work.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit both the reaction on here from some posters and Labour's NEC to someone who has stayed true to his principles dis-heartens me.

If he is to be considered a dinosaur it is because he won't change his values according to the prevailing wind of focus groups that all the front bench MPs who are just interested in keeping their nose in the trough.
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I have to admit both the reaction on here from some posters and Labour's NEC to someone who has stayed true to his principles dis-heartens me.

If he is to be considered a dinosaur it is because he won't change his values according to the prevailing wind of focus groups that all the front bench MPs who are just interested in keeping their nose in the trough.

does that he has stayed true to his principles mean that he is forever entitled to a seat on the NEC?
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's a preprepared speech. you don't need quick wit for that.

the performance must equal xfactor thing is in your head only
    . i don't even think you believe it. red bull racing said the renault engine in their F1 car failed to perform as they had hoped. OMLG red bull think their engines are on xfactor. lol.

You're dead right I don't believe it.

Unfortunately, too many today do go by the Americanised superficial "style/performance is all" attitude to politics.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. So why continually use the word "performance" to describe speeches made by MPs? I have visions of you watching the BBC Parliament channel holding up cards numbered 1 - 10 to wave after speeches as appropriate.

Performance is a word regularly used by commentators in connection with PMQ's. And as has been pointed out to you hundreds of times, your visions are ridiculous.
    2. And only the profoundly ignorant would not appreciate that a person in their 80s is not as "quick" with wit and repartee as when they were in their prime. You'll realise that one day.

What's "quick" with got to do with it? We (including you) were talking about "sharp" wit.

You: H'mmm. When you're 82 your wit may not be as sharp as it is now.
    Me: Only someone profoundly ignorant would think that a sharper wit is the preserve of the young.

3. I presume the lack of a "punchline" made it a "0" rather than a "1" then?

Then you presume wrong. I would have scored Skinner 3 out of 10 - he got his act somewhat together by the end and probably left feeling that he'd made his point, although not as well as he could have done.
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Performance is a word regularly used by commentators in connection with PMQ's. And as has been pointed out to you hundreds of times, your visions are ridiculous.

What's "quick" with got to do with it? We (including you) were talking about "sharp" wit.

You: H'mmm. When you're 82 your wit may not be as sharp as it is now.
    Me: Only someone profoundly ignorant would think that a sharper wit is the preserve of the young.

Then you presume wrong. I would have scored Skinner 3 out of 10 - he got his act somewhat together by the end and probably left feeling that he'd made his point, although not as well as he could have done.

:D:D:D:D

I wasn't being serious, David! I should have known better.....

Oh, and I'd rather have my "visions" than your embracing of the lowest common denominator regarding what constitutes meaningful political debate.
    Forum Member
    You're dead right I don't believe it.

Unfortunately, too many today do go by the Americanised superficial "style/performance is all" attitude to politics.

again it's in your head. there is no equating more style than substance with the word performance in my mind.

when you hear that lewis hamilton performed well at the Malaysian Grand Prix do you think that means he drove with a flourish? or do you think it might mean something else?

it's funny that you do object to this style of substance side to politics. it was invented by labour and miliband is all helmet and no shaft.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D:D

I wasn't being serious, David! I should have known better.....

Oh, and I'd rather have my "visions" than your embracing of the lowest common denominator regarding what constitutes meaningful political debate.

You don't debate GGP. You never have. Even when you trot out your well-worn schtick you're not debating - you're just hammering the same old points again and again. You troll these boards, casually firing off demeaning comments aimed directly at posters when you read posts you don't like. If that's what keeps you happy, so be it - but don't come at me with any indication that you understand "meaningful political debate". Your entire posting history shows that you're only interested in your own monologue and outside of that, don't want to participate.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    His son Frank has sent him to Room 101. :blush:
    Forum Member
    again it's in your head. there is no equating more style than substance with the word performance in my mind.

when you hear that lewis hamilton performed well at the Malaysian Grand Prix do you think that means he drove with a flourish? or do you think it might mean something else?

it's funny that you do object to this style of substance side to politics.
    it was invented by labour and miliband is all helmet and no shaft.

No, I object to the superficial cult of the personality side of politics that increasingly bedevils our politics, imported from the US.

Policy is the substance, not how an individual "performs".

Do you wilfully misinterpret what I write?
    Forum Member
    No, I object to the superficial cult of the personality side of politics that increasingly bedevils our politics, imported from the US.

Policy is the substance, not how an individual "performs".

Do you wilfully misinterpret what I write?

Oh come off it comrade. that's too much even for you.

and as i keep saying a measure of performance is not a measure of presentation. go and look up the performance of a new car. it doesn't say what it looks like. miliband performs badly because he's an idiot with not an ounce of principle or an idea in him.

as for the cult of personality. labour did that. Blair and campbell are responsible for bringing that to the UK. it's another labour party product. like tripling house prices.
    Forum Member
    You don't debate GGP. You never have. Even when you trot out your well-worn schtick you're not debating - you're just hammering the same old points again and again. You troll these boards, casually firing off demeaning comments aimed directly at posters when you read posts you don't like. If that's what keeps you happy, so be it - but don't come at me with any indication that you understand "meaningful political debate". Your entire posting history shows that you're only interested in your own monologue and outside of that, don't want to participate.

Coming from a party drone like you this is highly amusing.

But you're right in assuming they I don't belong in your superficial world of politicians as performing clowns, each party drone trying to insult one clown and deify another, depending on what circus they belong to.

The tragedy is of course - "..... and though the crowd clapped desperately they could not see the joke".

As for your 3 out of 10 for Skinner - I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read that! You've made my day old chap!

You keep playing your games David, maybe one day you will realise that politics isn't the puerile game you are happy participating in - you've been conned.
    Forum Member
    Oh come off it comrade. that's too much even for you.

and as i keep saying a measure of performance is not a measure of presentation. go and look up the performance of a new car. it doesn't say what it looks like. miliband performs badly because he's an idiot with not an ounce of principle or an idea in him.

as for the cult of personality. labour did that. Blair and campbell are responsible for bringing that to the UK. it's another labour party product. like tripling house prices.

I'm sorry, I'm having extreme difficulty taking your posts seriously.

You are turning into a self-parody.
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, I'm having extreme difficulty taking your posts seriously.

You are turning into a self-parody.

You're trolling and insults are too personal GreatGodPan. you need to dial it back a bit.
    Forum Member
    You're trolling and insults are too personal GreatGodPan. you need to dial it back a bit.

:confused:

But you are one of the most insulting posters on this forum!!
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does that he has stayed true to his principles mean that he is forever entitled to a seat on the NEC?

would appear so. It's similar to the entitled job for life logic you hear from teachers and firemen when banging on about retirement ages and pensions.

They argue "You can't expect anyone to still be doing this job at that age?" to which I find myself yelling "You're right. I don't. You can do what everyone else has to do who works in a job with a limited shelf-life...... go do something else when the time comes."

Having said that I'm not convinced Bobby Charlton would have been any worse than Wayne Rooney at this years world cup :D
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

I forgot to congratulate you on that joke earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Has it got a mini-bar?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming from a party drone like you this is highly amusing.

But you're right in assuming they I don't belong in your superficial world of politicians as performing clowns, each party drone trying to insult one clown and deify another, depending on what circus they belong to.

The tragedy is of course - "..... and though the crowd clapped desperately they could not see the joke".

As for your 3 out of 10 for Skinner - I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read that! You've made my day old chap!

You keep playing your games David, maybe one day you will realise that politics isn't the puerile game you are happy participating in - you've been conned.

0/10. Since you appear to enjoy things being given marks.

As my previous post to you was bang on the money, I'm leaving it there.
  • JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looked a right clown in PMQ's yesterday.
    Forum Member
    0/10. Since you appear to enjoy things being given marks.

As my previous post to you was bang on the money, I'm leaving it there.

OK, but you are the one giving politicians marks, not me!

Maybe I should start - and give you 0/10 too, for modesty.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Dennis Skinner voted off the Labour NEC

This is nothing new and political cleansing really took off with the arrival of Blair and New Labour resulting in the removal and replacement of proper old Labour people. At Euro elections this was easily done because the old Labour candidates were shoved right down the party list so that they stood a much reduced chance of getting elected as MEPs. They were, of course, replaced by fawning Blairites.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't he once say that when he was 65 or when Labour returned to power he would Retire:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Didn't he once say that when he was 65 or when Labour returned to power he would Retire:confused:

He must have meant when old Labour return to power, something they've not done since the mid seventies. :D
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »

He originally said that, yes. He changed his mind when Labour won a landslide in 1997 though.