Options

Monday Night Football on Sky

BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
Forum Member
Can't seem to see a thread on this. Studio has had a bit of redecorating?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Gah and first gripe of the season goes to Turf Moor's camera angle.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gah and first gripe of the season goes to Turf Moor's camera angle.

I don't know why they've changed it. The other angle gave a great perspective. Low angles are ok as long as they aren't too low (White Hart Lane being an example of one too low).
  • Options
    raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF! That is the worst camera angle I've seen. You miss a lot of the play when you're that low.
    Please change it Sky!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nice offensive song being sung very loudly at the moment :D

Sky sometimes lower the sound if it's just one person shouting obsenities.
    I guess they can't do that with hundreds of fans singing :D
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hate the camera angle turf Moore was always good for the high camera
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the debate between Neville and Carragher earlier about the similarities and differences between wing backs in a back three and full backs in a back four was superb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Thought the debate between Neville and Carragher earlier about the similarities and differences between wing backs in a back three and full backs in a back four was superb.
    Made very use of Champions League footage!
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made very use of Champions League footage!

Indeed, and I must admit I watched that thinking "will they be able to show all this when they lose the rights next season?".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Personally I prefer the low camera angle, I think you get a better view of the action.
  • Options
    BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and at 2/1 on the camera angle comes in :p Must be the polar opposite to that at White Hart Lane. Don't mind a bit of variety myself, gives you different perspectives on the games/tactics. Would get a bit boring if they were all the same.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to have it back - thought the analysis on the systems pre-match was superb.

I wasn't so keen on the ending though. They just seemed to race through every match and the choice of twitter questions wasn't the best. (I prefer it when they use twitter to take it in a general subject area that they might not usually speak about and Ed then asks follow-up questions as opposed to quickfire specific questions from twitter which often aren't particularly interesting or easy to answer - rather like Jake Humphrey's 'other than Rooney, how many current Man Utd players would get in their best ever team?'!)
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Indeed, and I must admit I watched that thinking "will they be able to show all this when they lose the rights next season?".

No, they won't.

Was a great debate though, makes MNF a must-see show just for them two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    *Thread bump*

A lower camera angle was used last Monday for Aston Villa v Southampton, so I emailed Sky to ask why they are lowering camera angles at football games and this is there reply:
    Dear Jon,
    Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the camera angels.

There are two positions available at Aston Villa for the main camera coverage, the choice of position is taken by the Match Director who factors in whether this is a day game or night game. The lower position is used more often than not on evening games and this position is more consistent to the newer stadiums, the higher position is used during day games as this is not affected by sunlight reflecting into the lenses which can occur in the lower position.

For the game on 7th December- Aston Villa v Leicester 16.00 kick off, the director has chosen to use the higher position as there could be a sunlight issue that needs to be factored in.

I hope I have been able to clarify our position in this matter.

Kind Regards

Sandra
    Viewer Relations
    In other words, the Sky match director prefers the lower angle except on day games when they are forced to use the higher angles due to the potential of sun glare.
    So if like me, you are not a big fan of the lower camera angles, looks like we are just going to have to put up with it as this is the technical direction Sky are taking :cry:
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vialli wrote: »
    *Thread bump*

A lower camera angle was used last Monday for Aston Villa v Southampton, so I emailed Sky to ask why they are lowering camera angles at football games and this is there reply:
    Dear Jon,
    Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the camera angels.

There are two positions available at Aston Villa for the main camera coverage, the choice of position is taken by the Match Director who factors in whether this is a day game or night game. The lower position is used more often than not on evening games and this position is more consistent to the newer stadiums, the higher position is used during day games as this is not affected by sunlight reflecting into the lenses which can occur in the lower position.

For the game on 7th December- Aston Villa v Leicester 16.00 kick off, the director has chosen to use the higher position as there could be a sunlight issue that needs to be factored in.

I hope I have been able to clarify our position in this matter.

Kind Regards

Sandra
    Viewer Relations
    In other words, the Sky match director prefers the lower angle except on day games when they are forced to use the higher angles due to the potential of sun glare.
    So if like me, you are not a big fan of the lower camera angles, looks like we are just going to have to put up with it as this is the technical direction Sky are taking :cry:

A sunlight issue at 4pm Kick Off in December, It will be dark by then.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,251
    Forum Member
    Why can't sky give us a choice of camera angle? For the amount customers pay, they shouldn't be forced to watch from a crappy camera angle.
    A sunlight issue at 4pm Kick Off in December, It will be dark by then.

Not quite, it goes dark at about 4.30pm in December.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Why can't sky give us a choice of camera angle? For the amount customers pay, they shouldn't be forced to watch from a crappy camera angle.

Not quite, it goes dark at about 4.30pm in December.

Sunset In Birmingham next Sunday is 3.54pm
  • Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly confused by Sky's explanation as I'm pretty sure they used the lower camera angle for the Aston Villa-Spurs 4pm kick-off on Sunday 2nd November...
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »

They did used to let viewers select from a few different camera angles on their interactive coverage on the red button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They did used to let viewers select from a few different camera angles on their interactive coverage on the red button.

Yeah, I remember that, was quite a while ago though wasn't it? I'd love it Keegan style if they bought that back.

Spurs v Everton on today was shown from a very low flat angle which leaves Skys explanation for the (supposedly) higher angle choice for next Sundays Villa game baffling.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather you called it 'MNF'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    I'd rather you called it 'MNF'

Why??
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I remember that, was quite a while ago though wasn't it? I'd love it Keegan style if they bought that back.
    :

Yeah, there was a choice of:
    * main camera
    * behind home goal
    * behind away goal
    * player cam (a different player every ten mins)
    * Fan Zone alternative commentary

Wasn't there also a match highlights so far loop, too? (haze memory of this)

Also, the SD picture was great back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A final point regarding lowering of camera angles, here is the reply from Aston Villa FC regarding the recent lowering of the camera angle at Villa Park:
    Hi Jon,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact us on this matter.
    At the beginning of last season the club had to make several more camera positions available as part of changes to the Premier League broadcast package.
    Included in these changes was the provision for 3D cameras on the half way line. Due to the nature of the 3D effect, these positions needed to be lower than the standard ones.
    Although they were provisioned for 3D positions, broadcasters can still use ‘normal’ cameras in these positions.
    All of the previous positions are still in place and the choice on which positions are used is entirely down to the broadcaster, we simply make all the positions available.
    I hope that this answers your question.
    Thanks again for your email.
    Regards,
    Nick Finney
    Multimedia Operations Manager
    Aston Villa Football Club
    So, looks like this camera angle change being pushed through has been enforced by the Premier League broadcast package. So, is it the Premier League that is driving this or Sky? I thought Sky had stopped broadcasting football in 3D? :confused:
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    Yeah, there was a choice of:
    * main camera
    * behind home goal
    * behind away goal
    * player cam (a different player every ten mins)
    * Fan Zone alternative commentary

Wasn't there also a match highlights so far loop, too? (haze memory of this)

Also, the SD picture was great back then.

They had 3 different camera angles but not always behind either goal. The 4th angle (usually the blue button) was the 'Player Cam'.

The other options were 'Highlights', 'Fan Zone' commentary and 'Stats' that showed possession etc alongside the history of the fixture, line-ups etc. It's a shame they don't do it anymore. It was almost ahead of its time a little bit. It was pretty cool for the cricket coverage when the added it to that as well as the football. Would be cool if they offered something similar even if it was as a 'second screen' for iPads etc.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, looks like this camera angle change being pushed through has been enforced by the Premier League broadcast package. So, is it the Premier League that is driving this or Sky? I thought Sky had stopped broadcasting football in 3D? :confused:

Clubs had to install new floodlighting systems to a newer standard (some already had it - Emirates for example) to make the pitch more 'daylight-esque' for broadcasters.