Our War - BBC3

blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
Did anyone else watch this tonight?
Not sure if there's a post already. But this has been the most awe inspiring, emotional rollercoaster I've seen in a long time.
Fantastically put together. I really can't describe it.
Just... wow

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree 100% with that.....Wow.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. Occasionally, BBC3 gets stuff spot on. This, like "A soldiers story" was a stunningly good documentary.

K
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know what you mean. A real eye-opener about the reality of fighting the Taliban. Got to have a lot of respect for those lads too. I can quite understand how they felt when they came across the Taliban after Gray was killed.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn I missed it and I said I badly wanted to watch it. Is it repeated later?
  • cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    The BBC documentary about the Chinook pilot was Above Enemy Lines, still available in 5 parts on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZEVbYVcFc
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What got me was the Chinook pilot's reaction to when Pvt Grey was pronounced dead. My mate's just got back and was working in the helebases seeing all the casualties come in. What can you say to thank them, I mean... respect just isn't enough. They really are heroes
    I don't think I've seen such a well put together documentary for a long time... well done BBC! Next weeks looks great too... IED's
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    I am going to watch it online tommorow. Hopefully it's not too depressing.

I was suprised it was on Beeb3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    The BBC documentary about the Chinook pilot was Above Enemy Lines, still available in 5 parts on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZEVbYVcFc

Thanks for that :) I really wanted to see that, even more so now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »

Its on again in 2 hours time at 00:30am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndrewPd wrote: »

It's not depressing, but it's definitley an emotional rollercoaster!

Yeah me too... But I guess it's too cutting edge for BBC1, the language left a lot to be desired
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    00h25-01h35 (tonight, ie early hours of tomorrow morning)
    K
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    norton11 wrote: »
    Its on again in 2 hours time at 00:30am.

Ah, thank you!
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was brilliant.

Sadly, more people will have been watching The Fairy Jobmother, a supposed "reality" series with fake "jeopardy".

Makes you weep.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    Bushmills wrote: »
    It was brilliant.

Sadly, more people will have been watching The Fairy Jobmother, a supposed "reality" series with fake "jeopardy".

Makes you weep.

I was guilty of watching the Jobmother programme. But it's because i switched it on first and it forced me to watch it out of annoyance,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not the first time they've covered army life. Keep an eye open for "Jack: A Soldiers Story", if they ever repeat it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/3561795/Jack-a-Soldiers-Story.html

K
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    It was brilliant.

Makes you weep.

Not in my house. Me and my daughter watched Our War in total silence. Mesmerizing TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    It's hard to know what word to use to describe it. It was compelling, moving, a revelation. A amazing emotional journey unlike any other programme.

Those news reports of casualties in Afghanistan will never seem the same now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought... there was a similar incident in Ross Kemp in Afghanistan, where a soldier was killed out on patrol. Was that the same guy? As Kemp was with 1R.ANGLIAN wasn't he.

Edit Just looked it up. Yes, it happened at the same time as Ross Kemp was filming. He visited Pvt Grey's parents.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC3 gets a lot of criticism (a lot of it deserved) but every so often they have a gem of a program.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing program, I agree with all the above comments
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It struck me how shambolic the platoon was, badly trained, haring around like headless chickens, and running on adrenalin rather than any sort of military professionalism, like a bunch of chavs on a Paint Ball day out.

Thicko grunts can't even think for themselves and get a injured man out of danger without getting screamed at by a NCO.

Not really a good advert for the British Army was it ?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    this was an amazing show. i came across it by accident and im glad i did. i now have a renewed respect for the armed forces

does anyone no what the tune that was played through it, it was a piano tune quite slow, think it is from a film, not sure what tho.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It struck me how shambolic the platoon was, badly trained, haring around like headless chickens, and running on adrenalin rather than any sort of military professionalism, like a bunch of chavs on a Paint Ball day out.

Thicko grunts can't even think for themselves and get a injured man out of danger without getting screamed at by a NCO.

I take it you have been in such a situation yourself and know how much better you would handle it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    I take it you have been in such a situation yourself and know how much better you would handle it?

Hear Hear...I wasn't going to say anything. But Well said :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's easy to criticise a bunch of kids barely out of training when you are safely sitting behind a computer. I wouldn't do what they do for a million quid.