HELP! Sky+ HD "No signal".....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
Forum Member
Hi all,

Please forgive my ignorance in all this as i have absolutely no idea about these things. It could not of happened at a worst time. Last night my SKY+ HD box came up with a "No signal being received" message. Now having looked up online and doing a LNB reset and checking all wires etc it looks like its the box that is faulty and not the dish as i live in a Apartment block and there is no issue with my neighbours sky signal. Looks like i have a dodgy box :mad:

Now my issue is i leave on Sat for a 3 week holiday(and was relying on it recording a LOT of things) and the chances of arranging an engineer to come round in the next 3 days is slim to none and also god knows what the price could be and i have little to no money this month as it is,

So i was wondering if i can just purchase a new SKY+ HD box online or from a local shop and just swap it myself and put my viewing card into the new box or does it not work like that? Does it need to be professionally installed and not just plugged in like i am imagining? It would be so much quicker and easier. This could not of happened at a worst time :mad:

Sorry for my stupidity and long winded question but you get what i mean? Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    If your box is out of warranty then it will cost you £65 to get a replacement box, you could haggle and get a free call out if you are lucky.

If you can't get call out in time you can pick a box off Ebay from £25 upwards, but be careful it's not an old Thomson box as theses are not updated anymore.

Just swap the box and card over, if you have any premium channels you will need to get the card paired with the new box, to do this just ring Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Oh that's great thank you. I may just buy one online and get next day delivery for sheer convenience with my timing issues i have. Can i just ask what you mean by Premium channels? I have the full sky entertainment hd package. Will that need pairing with the card or are Premium channels something else? Thanks again
    Forum Member
    PosterGirl wrote: »
    Oh that's great thank you. I may just buy one online and get next day delivery for sheer convenience with my timing issues i have. Can i just ask what you mean by Premium channels? I have the full sky entertainment hd package. Will that need pairing with the card or are Premium channels something else? Thanks again

Movies and Sports are regarded as premium channels.

If it were me I'd ring and get the card paired with the box regardless of what channel package I had.

Hope you get it sorted before you go away.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Movies and Sports are regarded as premium channels.

If it were me I'd ring and get the card paired with the box regardless of what channel package I had.

Hope you get it sorted before you go away.

You will have to pair it anyway, as if you record Sky1 without a paired card, when you go back to play that recording it will say 'recording interrupted'.

OP try and get a Sky call out, we can get it done before saturday, but if that fails go for the other option, but it's very important you pair the card.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    I also wouldn't put money on the box been faulty - in these cases it's more commonly a fault on the distribution system, such faults are very common (and often only affect one outlet).

Can't you borrow a box to try?.
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    You will have to pair it anyway, as if you record Sky1 without a paired card, when you go back to play that recording it will say 'recording interrupted'.

OP try and get a Sky call out, we can get it done before saturday, but if that fails go for the other option, but it's very important you pair the card.

Often seen posts here stating the card only needs pairing if premium channels are subscribed too, didn't really know if that was 100% correct which is why I said I would ring regardless, thanks for confirming what needs to be done.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Often seen posts here stating the card only needs pairing if premium channels are subscribed too, didn't really know if that was 100% correct .

It's not, I can also confirm that recording anything apart from FTA programmes requires pairing.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not buy a box just yet. There may be nothing at all wrong with it and buying a new box may be a waste of money.

What you must do first is establish beyond doubt it is the box and not your connection to the dish. You can do this in one of two ways (preferably both).

1/ Beg steal or borrow a known working box and try it in your home.
    2/ Take your box to someone who has a working dish connection and try it there.

If a known working box does not work on your connection then that indicates it is the connection at fault. Especially if your box works on a known working connection.

If the known working box works perfectly fine on your connection and your box does not work on a known working connection then your box is likely to be faulty.

But unless you do a test like this you cannot know for certain it is your box or the connection to the dish.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    The OP did say that there was nothing wrong with their neighbour's Sky signal, so presumably they're on good enough terms with that neighbour to be able to take their box next door and try it on a known working outlet!
    :)
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

Please forgive my ignorance in all this as i have absolutely no idea about these things. It could not of happened at a worst time. Last night my SKY+ HD box came up with a "No signal being received" message. Now having looked up online and doing a LNB reset and checking all wires etc it looks like its the box that is faulty and not the dish as i live in a Apartment block and there is no issue with my neighbours sky signal. Looks like i have a dodgy box :mad:

Now my issue is i leave on Sat for a 3 week holiday(and was relying on it recording a LOT of things) and the chances of arranging an engineer to come round in the next 3 days is slim to none and also god knows what the price could be and i have little to no money this month as it is,

So i was wondering if i can just purchase a new SKY+ HD box online or from a local shop and just swap it myself and put my viewing card into the new box or does it not work like that? Does it need to be professionally installed and not just plugged in like i am imagining? It would be so much quicker and easier. This could not of happened at a worst time :mad:

Sorry for my stupidity and long winded question but you get what i mean? Thanks for any advice
    have you tryed sky + planner rebuild as then i have losted the signal. i jest do a sky + planner rebuild & that gets my signal back.
    http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/recording/guide-to-performing-a-planner-rebuild/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    And don't forget that getting a new box will lose all recording from the old box unless you use expvr (or whatever it is called) to transfer the recording over or put the disc from the old box into the new box if it is compatible!