Options

Restricted EPG on old Sky box

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Hello,

I have an old (black) Pace Sky box which I've recently unearthed from the cupboard.

However, I find it has the old-style EPG (no radio channels, no BBC regions, highest channel is 134).

Is there any way of getting it to show the current EPG? I have done a "software download" (switch on with button pressed), but with no change. Can anything be done? I particularly wante3d it for the radio :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new EPG is only for Sky+ HD boxes (with or without the HD Pack) except the original Thomson ones. The EPG shouldn't affect your ability to get the radio stations though?
  • Options
    JoddleJoddle Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just leave it plugged in and connected to the dish - eventually it should update the epg - my old Pace box is currently showing 3.8.8 which appears to have everything it should; however when I got the box it had a much earlier version and it took a week or so before it finally updated itself.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the EPG version shown in "System details"?

If it is a very early one (prior to 3.2.2) it is unlikely to have a successful "forced software update" - however it should update eventually if left in standby (or used to view channels that are available) and connected to a correctly aligned dish but may take a couple of weeks to update. Sky have not yet completely abandoned the updates for these very early boxes but as there are now so few in circulation the updates are not broadcast so often as for later boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rewind wrote: »
    The new EPG is only for Sky+ HD boxes (with or without the HD Pack) except the original Thomson ones. The EPG shouldn't affect your ability to get the radio stations though?

Totally incorrect this has absolutely nothing to do with the HD EPGs - very early versions of the SD Sky EPGs do not now display a full EPG (as per the OPs post) and are incapable of tuning to the required "four figure" channels of the radio channels until the software is updated - early versions of the EPG used three figures for radio channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EPG version is 3.2.11.

I'll leave it plugged in for a while and see what happens.
  • Options
    JoddleJoddle Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g7mzh wrote: »
    EPG version is 3.2.11.

I'll leave it plugged in for a while and see what happens.

Be prepared for a long wait - Mine was also very a low EPG version when I "updated" it and I think it took over 3 weeks - In fact I was about to pull the plug as nothng had happened for so long then one day it was suddenly OK.
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally incorrect this has absolutely nothing to do with the HD EPGs - very early versions of the SD Sky EPGs do not now display a full EPG (as per the OPs post) and are incapable of tuning to the required "four figure" channels of the radio channels until the software is updated - early versions of the EPG used three figures for radio channels.

Ah I see.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Joddle wrote: »
    Be prepared for a long wait - Mine was also very a low EPG version when I "updated" it and I think it took over 3 weeks - In fact I was about to pull the plug as nothng had happened for so long then one day it was suddenly OK.

Depending on how often that exact software is broadcast on the automatic stream it could be many months till it comes round - because it's missed major updates it can't accept the later partial ones, it needs the years old major update.

I've seen some boxes take six months before getting the update.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember a note sent out a while back saying that the software has been removed from the stream for these old boxes

There has been no updates on these boxes for years and sky no longer has any contract with open to make modifications
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember a note sent out a while back saying that the software has been removed from the stream for these old boxes

There has been no updates on these boxes for years and sky no longer has any contract with open to make modifications

Ah. In which case I'll I won't bother! Looks like a freecycle job ...

rgds
    Laurence
  • Options
    briantistbriantist Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Do you have any idea approximately how old the box is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    briantist wrote: »

The only black Pace Sky digibox was the Pace 2200 which dates from around 1999
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No idea of the date, but it's a model 2500B.
  • Options
    bensgrandadbensgrandad Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    briantist wrote: »

I am not in the right place to find model numbers and software versions but I have a very early (1999?) original black Pace box (2200?) at our place in Lancs which is often unpowered for long periods. It works perfectly everytime at switch on (out of date BBC card for regionalisation) and the EPG includes all TV and Radio channels. Admittedly it now looks very slow compared with current boxes but has always updated itself and produces a very good picture (on a flat screen HD ready 32"). Don't throw it away! As others say - connect it up, be patient, and wait and see. If it has lasted this long it can be considered reliable - unlike some others.
  • Options
    Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    You could use the add channels feature to manually add radio/tv channels, not ideal but should work until the digibox upgrades itself.