Paypal Here

stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
Forum Member
has anyone tried the new paypal here app? its a separate app from paypal itself.

if so can anyone tell me what model phone and what android version they have? many thanks.

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would would you use a separate app with Paypal, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. It is rather like using another app to access your online bank that isn't ran by your bank.

Unless the app is actually ran by Paypal I would stay well clear.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Would would you use a separate app with Paypal, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. It is rather like using another app to access your online bank that isn't ran by your bank.

Unless the app is actually ran by Paypal I would stay well clear.

It is an official Paypal app.

It should work on the majority of phones, but does need a companion card reader to work IIRC.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I wonder if they charge you fees to withdraw the funds from your "PayPal Here" account to your bank?
    There are no monthly fees or hidden costs. Getting the card reader is a one-off purchase of £69.95 (incl. VAT and free delivery). Then you just pay 2.75% for every payment you accept with Chip and PIN cards and/or PayPal check-in*.

Other fees: 3.40% + 20p for card payments made by swiping the magnetic strip or manually entering the card details. These fees apply to domestic transactions. If the payer’s card or PayPal account is from outside the United Kingdom, our standard cross-border fees also apply. PayPal Business account fees apply to all other payments received using PayPal Here.

They don't seem to show what they mean by "all other payments"...

Also, if all your funds go into your "central PayPal account", surely when you withdraw those funds, you get charged again?

Oh, and the app...no one seems to be able to log in, including me. I just tried it, using the same details I logged in on the laptop with, yet the app says the details are wrong!

lol Good start to help small businesses.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the app and the card reader that I use on my stall at craft fairs. I love it and so far not had a problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and can also use it on my ipad.

Artanda, once you have been paid via paypal here the money is in your normal paypal account and can be withdrawn just like normal.

You are charged when you make a transaction (as you would be when someone buys something from you off ebay and pays via paypal for example) after that, you aren't charged anything to withdraw your money.

At the end of the day it has gotten me sales I would otherwise have lost from people not having cash and is much cheaper than renting a card reader from a bank.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    Also, if all your funds go into your "central PayPal account", surely when you withdraw those funds, you get charged again?

Paypal don't charge for withdrawals to your bank account.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    So far we got an S4, but that's too pricey to be used with just a card reader, excellent phone if I used it as a phone as well though.

keep em coming, btw I already have my card reader
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    So far we got an S4, but that's too pricey to be used with just a card reader, excellent phone if I used it as a phone as well though.

Does the app not give it's requirements?

Do we have any reason to think it won't work with any phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used an S2 before I got the S4 which worked fine. You should be able to pick one of them up cheap. Or an S3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Does the app not give it's requirements?

Do we have any reason to think it won't work with any phone.

Android 2.3.3 and up.

You of course need phone signal and data or a wireless network connection to make transactions
    Forum Member
    There are lots of factors that can stop an android app from working.

screen size, android version etc etc. then you have the apps requirements such as Bluetooth SPP as well.

however there is no definitive list. They say just to 'try' it. however im not going to order a phone on contract and find I will not work so will be seeing what definitely works
    Forum Member
    There are lots of factors that can stop an android app from working.

screen size, android version etc etc. then you have the apps requirements such as Bluetooth SPP as well.

however there is no definitive list. They say just to 'try' it. however im not going to order a phone on contract and find I will not work so will be seeing what definitely works
    It's going to work with any modern phone isn't it.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    It's going to work with any modern phone isn't it.

you say that, but my sony Tipo, which is bluetooth 3, and android 4.0.4 Ice cream sandwich, wont install the app.

So no not every modern phone.
    Forum Member
    you say that, but my sony Tipo, which is bluetooth 3, and android 4.0.4 Ice cream sandwich, wont install the app.

So no not every modern phone.

You out of storage, ram?

It could just be an error.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I have the app and the card reader that I use on my stall at craft fairs. I love it and so far not had a problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and can also use it on my ipad.

Artanda, once you have been paid via paypal here the money is in your normal paypal account and can be withdrawn just like normal.

You are charged when you make a transaction (as you would be when someone buys something from you off ebay and pays via paypal for example) after that, you aren't charged anything to withdraw your money.

At the end of the day it has gotten me sales I would otherwise have lost from people not having cash and is much cheaper than renting a card reader from a bank.

Thanks for that.

The app wasn't accepting my password, but it seems to have, accepted it...maybe, almost, but not quite because now, I cannot log in due to the app saying "Paypal needs your location bla bla bla"....

My GPS, Location and everything else to do with location is ON, yet it still will not let me log in fully. >:( See pic HERE

These are the errors I keep getting. (pics edited to remove personal info)
    Pic 01
    Pic 02
    Pic 03

If it is this frustrating just to log in and set up, how bad is it going to be when I actually come to use the bloody thing? Grrrr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what that's all about. I have never had a problem logging in or using the app. Have you had a google to see if others have the same issues?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Not sure what that's all about. I have never had a problem logging in or using the app. Have you had a google to see if others have the same issues?
    I see from the reviews on the Play store a lot of people are having the same sort of issues.
    Forum Member
    I see from the reviews on the Play store a lot of people are having the same sort of issues.

To be fair that is not a representative sample. most app reviews are people moaning about problems.

if the app has 1m downloads you would expect for any app ~1000 complaining that it wont install etc.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone tried the new paypal here app? its a separate app from paypal itself.if so can anyone tell me what model phone and what android version they have? many thanks.
    Nope, but I have used Paypal but companies are starting to surcharge to use Paypal, no doubt because any honeymoon period is over.

Regarding the app, near obviously it will not install on Rooted devices.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Nope, but I have used Paypal but companies are starting to surcharge to use Paypal, no doubt because any honeymoon period is over.

Regarding the app, near obviously it will not install on Rooted devices.

paypal is no more expensive than any of the other methods of accepting payment. or at least not significantly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might look at the iZettle. It is pretty much the same, plus the card reader has an LCD screen. And it's cheaper to buy the reader.

The charges are the same 2.75%, but this goes down the more you take.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange, I got no credit card surcharge when I last chose not to use Paypal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might look at the iZettle. It is pretty much the same, plus the card reader has an LCD screen. And it's cheaper to buy the reader.

The charges are the same 2.75%, but this goes down the more you take.

I've decided to go with iZettle. Way too many problems just signing up with PayPal Here.

I bought the card reader [earlier] from Maplin (£59.99) and have it all set up and on the go.

My charges will be 2.75%, but that's fine by me. If ever I go above a certain amount of income, I know the charges will actually drop in comparison to PayPal, which it seems stay at 2.75% no matter how little or much you take.

My new card reader purchase. I like the little LCD on it. Good for the customer to see their purchase is correct and approved.

The app is so simple to use too. Would be nice to be able to text a receipt too, like the PayPal app, but hey ho, the email option is just as good.

Pic 01
    Pic 02
    Forum Member
    I've decided to go with iZettle. Way too many problems just signing up with PayPal Here.

I bought the card reader [earlier] from Maplin (£59.99) and have it all set up and on the go.

My charges will be 2.75%, but that's fine by me. If ever I go above a certain amount of income, I know the charges will actually drop in comparison to PayPal, which it seems stay at 2.75% no matter how little or much you take.

My new card reader purchase. I like the little LCD on it. Good for the customer to see their purchase is correct and approved.

The app is so simple to use too. Would be nice to be able to text a receipt too, like the PayPal app, but hey ho, the email option is just as good.

Pic 01
    Pic 02

nice.

what is it you're doing out of curiosity? i'm wondering if i could use one when i'm prostituting myself.
    Forum Member

Pic 01
    Pic 02

The Izettle device is a rebraded paypal here unit + the LCD. Infact theyre all the same. However whats interesting, whilst I was reading the logs I saw it say apple processor.

As for flagpoles answer, it was indeed the screensize that stopped it installing on the Tipo. However my rooted Ace i, it installed perfectly yet according to paypal its an unsupported phone? it took payments fine. it is running Cyanogen mod 7 so perhaps the original 2.3.6 gingerbread and drivers might have issues whereas the Cyanogen mod 2.3.7 might well have updated the bluetooth and the like because it works flawlessly. I may for the time being just stick with a data plan enabled sim and use this. Then get paypal here when the phone shuts off.

By the way if you plug in the reader via usb into your PC its internal storage opens up, theres only a few log files but make interesting read.