Renting and no heating - what are my rights?

Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
Forum Member
I moved into a new flat at the end of January. When I first moved in, there was loads of problems - washing machine was broken, shower door not shutting properly, oven door not shutting properly, top part of the dishwasher was sticking etc...

It took about 3 months to get most of these problems resolved but I have now been here 6 months and there is still one massive outstanding issue: the heating doesn't work. It's a modern flat with a thermostat in the hall to control timings etc and then the radiators in individual rooms. However, the whole system is busted.

I rent through an agency who manages the flat for a landlord. They've got in contact with him a few times and he keeps saying parts are being ordered but like I said it's been 6 months nowhere surely that isn't acceptable.

I'm paying £700 a month. Surely this isn't right? Who can I complain to and should I be owed some of my rent back?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your local authority should have a Private Sector housing unit that can intervene with the landlord.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I moved into a new flat at the end of January. When I first moved in, there was loads of problems - washing machine was broken, shower door not shutting properly, oven door not shutting properly, top part of the dishwasher was sticking etc...

It took about 3 months to get most of these problems resolved but I have now been here 6 months and there is still one massive outstanding issue: the heating doesn't work. It's a modern flat with a thermostat in the hall to control timings etc and then the radiators in individual rooms. However, the whole system is busted.

I rent through an agency who manages the flat for a landlord. They've got in contact with him a few times and he keeps saying parts are being ordered but like I said it's been 6 months nowhere surely that isn't acceptable.

I'm paying £700 a month. Surely this isn't right? Who can I complain to and should I be owed some of my rent back?

Is it an electric heating system?
    Did the landlord offer you alternative portable electric radiators?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Have a look at these 2 links from Shelter. The 1st one tells you what you should abouit getting repairs done, including sample letters, and the 2nd one is all about landlords responsibilities.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/about_private_renting/landlords_responsibilities

This link covers all aspects of private renting: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,422
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Your local authority should have a Private Sector housing unit that can intervene with the landlord.

2nd this - I contacted the council when I had no heating at my privately rented house, they made the landlord give me alternative heating as it was in January and freezing. The landlord was very unhelpful and unco-operative when I originally contacted him, basically just told me to put a jumper on - completely missing the point of his responsibility
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The type of heating provided should be efficient, safely designed and economical to run. It is in your interests in the long term.