Options

BBC 'Wolf Hall', when does it start?

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Based on the Hilary Mantel book and starring Damien Lewis as Henry the eighth, the cast is really good!

Hoping it will be around Christmas time perhaps.

Anyone else looking forward to this mini-series?

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, with it being a TV drama, we won't have the problem of trying to work out who is saying what in long exchanges of dialogue. :(
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully, with it being a TV drama, we won't have the problem of trying to work out who is saying what in long exchanges of dialogue. :(

I never had that problem with the book, but I've seen a lot of people complaining about it. Once the narrative perspective was understood, it wasn't difficult. Try thinking of it as a story being related to you by someone who was there, almost like you're sitting round a campfire listening to someone tell the tale.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I never had that problem with the book, but I've seen a lot of people complaining about it. Once the narrative perspective was understood, it wasn't difficult. Try thinking of it as a story being related to you by someone who was there, almost like you're sitting round a campfire listening to someone tell the tale.

Meh. Would it really have killed her to insert a character's name now and again to indicate the speaker? Not doing so made the book needlessly difficult to read and impeded the flow of the narrative. There was no artistic reason to do it - it was just a silly affectation.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member

This. I gave up on the book in the end. I thought it was me, but a colleague had the same problem.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. Would it really have killed her to insert a character's name now and again to indicate the speaker? Not doing so made the book needlessly difficult to read and impeded the flow of the narrative. There was no artistic reason to do it - it was just a silly affectation.

Actually I think there was an artistic reason to do it. I found it an ingenious technique, making me feel closer to Cromwell's character - as if you're actually in his mind - it somehow allowed me to read the text more quickly too. I had no problems with it at all and zoomed through this book plus Bring Up the Bodies. I appreciate that I've got an English literature degree but plenty of people haven't and also had no problems with the technique. Maybe it depends how literal someone's mind is because it's quite a poetic, almost Modernist, technique.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think there was an artistic reason to do it. I found it an ingenious technique, making me feel closer to Cromwell's character - as if you're actually in his mind - it somehow allowed me to read the text more quickly too. I had no problems with it at all and zoomed through this book plus Bring Up the Bodies. I appreciate that I've got an English literature degree but plenty of people haven't and also had no problems with the technique. Maybe it depends how literal someone's mind is because it's quite a poetic, almost Modernist, technique.

^^ Plus 1 that, lostprophet. I thought it was great. Very difficult - and daring - for a writer to get past the 'he said, she said' thing, but once you got the hang of it, it was brilliant. Yes it was partisan to make the reader see things from inside Cromwell's mind, but all novels have some kind of angle, it's inescapable, and at least this is an open way of dealing with it.

The reason I love Mantel is that she assumes her readers have the agility to follow her - however unfamiliar, weird or dark it gets. She never lets you down if you do.

Unlike, I have to say, the stage versions of Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. I was really excited about this, and having seen rave reviews I bought tickets for both shows. My god, what a boring plod through the plot. Stripped of the book's insights, slyness, compassion, humour and horror, the plays present you with the yawningly familiar story of the Tudors. I expected the beautiful writing to be expressed through some kind of theatricality or dramatic tension, but, nope. It could have been a Sunday evening costume drama by Julian Fellowes.

I know Hilary Mantel was very involved in the adaptations. But she isn't a dramatist, and I think the plays show what happens when a production is too respectful of (intimidated by?) the author.

I almost don't want to see the telly version, because if it's as bad as the stage plays it'll taint the books for me. But telly does subtle way better than theatre, so I'll give it a go...
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know this was going to be a TV series. I will tune in - I hope it will live up to the book which I thought was brilliant.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's due to wrap filming in a couple of weeks, it won't be on until next year. It's been an enormous production, I expect big things from it!
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    They should adapt the novel that the lead character wrote in Toast, "a cross between Wolf Hall and 50 shades of Grey". Problem with that is that it didn't have an ending...