Parking Bay - White Lines

abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been told that if I were to park in a bay which I know is pay and display but the markings on the road have been totally worn away and are no longer visable that, if I get a ticket, the ticket is not enforceable as there is no definition between between where there is or isn't a bay. The bay is council not private parking - not sure if that even makes a difference.

Not sure I've explained that properly but I hope you know what I'm talking about.

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so you parked in car park and didn't pay, and now you've got a ticket and looking for a way out of paying for the ticket?

is that the real question?
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    so you parked in car park and didn't pay, and now you've got a ticket and looking for a way out of paying for the ticket?

is that the real question?

Absolutely not - I have not parked in the bay - I was just wondering as I have been told this information this morning by a colleague and have no idea if it is correct or not.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Markings on the road are pretty much meaningless anyway a lot of the time. The plates on the wall are what give the parking restrictions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    Absolutely not - I have not parked in the bay - I was just wondering as I have been told this information this morning by a colleague and have no idea if it is correct or not.

what you've been told is mostly nonsense then.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been told that if I were to park in a bay which I know is pay and display but the markings on the road have been totally worn away and are no longer visable that, if I get a ticket, the ticket is not enforceable

If you parked there and you got a ticket you would have to appeal against the ticket and provide evidence that the bay did not meet the specifications for such a bay. It would then be up to the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service (PATAS) to decide whether the ticket was enforceable.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It depends on the wording of the Traffic Regulation Order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your responses - The bay in question is behind the office but it looks like I've been told incorrect information. I was hoping to park there tomorrow as I have to have a quick getaway from the office but instead I'll park where I normally do as it will cost £7 to park for the day behind the office and only £4 in the commuter park
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your responses - The bay in question is behind the office but it looks like I've been told incorrect information. I was hoping to park there tomorrow as I have to have a quick getaway from the office but instead I'll park where I normally do as it will cost £7 to park for the day behind the office and only £4 in the commuter park

rip off britain
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    rip off britain

Bargain!

£27 a day to park in Oxford.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're quibbling over £3?

If I really had to get out quick I'd just pay the extra.
  • TangledNemoTangledNemo Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bargain!

£27 a day to park in Oxford.

I thought Belfast was bad, It's £14 for a day in one place and £3.50 an hour in another car park.

40p an hour at the most in the town I live in though :).
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    £1.40 for the day in Stirling :-D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    £1.40 for the day in Stirling :-D

Free all day in Musselburgh, Haddington, Dunbar, North Berwick - in fact, the whole of East Lothian....... for now!

AND, there are no traffic wardens or parking attendants in the county either - Police Scotland scrapped the former, and the current law doesn't permit the council to employ the latter!

Ah Bliss!
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    and the current law doesn't permit the council to employ the latter!

Actually it does and quite a few councils have.

It's just that some councils don't have enough parking issues to be able to raise enough money from "fines" to cover the cost of hiring attendants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update - this morning I managed to catch one of our friendly council employed parking wardens. We laughed about how impossible it was to find parking behind the office now as the bays were always full when I drive passed and he explained the reason, basically he said that the information I have been given is correct - if there is no defined white line to mark the bay, even if I know and he knows that the bay is there, and even with the notice clearly stating it is pay and display, as the white line are not visable they will not issue a ticket for non payment. He also informed me of a couple of bays round the corner that have very faded white lines which he cannot issue tickets for and another bay just up the road further that has lines now but they are fading quickly and it's only a matter of time before payment for that bay becomes null and void. I wonder how early I have to try to get to work in the morning to take advantage of the council freebie lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update - this morning I managed to catch one of our friendly council employed parking wardens. We laughed about how impossible it was to find parking behind the office now as the bays were always full when I drive passed and he explained the reason, basically he said that the information I have been given is correct - if there is no defined white line to mark the bay, even if I know and he knows that the bay is there, and even with the notice clearly stating it is pay and display, as the white line are not visable they will not issue a ticket for non payment. He also informed me of a couple of bays round the corner that have very faded white lines which he cannot issue tickets for and another bay just up the road further that has lines now but they are fading quickly and it's only a matter of time before payment for that bay becomes null and void. I wonder how early I have to try to get to work in the morning to take advantage of the council freebie lol

hope you got that in writing.
    just because one warden says something doesn't mean that every warden thinks the same.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you want to see if you can get some free parking then?

I'd call the council and check with them, but they'll probably just re-paint the lines.