Football Commentators Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 15th February - ITV1

UEFA Champions League Live: AC Milan v Arsenal

Adrian Chiles presenting from pitchside at the San Siro alongside Roy Keane and Gareth Southgate

Commentators: Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend

Reporter: Gabriel Clarke

And yes, contrary to my last post, it is a Wednesday. :p To those of you who are listening to talkSPORT, how is Andy Gray doing?

(Competition) Don't ITV know that Barcelona is in Spain and not France? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Yes, it's been confirmed by Neil Doncaster, the SPL chief executive.

Ouch, not good at all for clubs in Scotland money wise then if Rangers dropped out entirely.
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not calling for Sky to bring Gray back or anything, but definitely has been missed on co-comms, Listened in after the 1st goal onwards. He has been good!

Yeah obviously this isn't going to start as a 'bring back Gray campaign' but like you say, he was good tonight. At times, he was almost forcing Matterface to interact with him and step away from the traditional radio commentary for the dull parts in play. Laughed at when Matterface brought up it being 3-0 and asking Gray if it was over, thinking of Istanbul. I think it really showed what Sky miss tonight, his analysis of the second goal stood out.

Not sure if it's worth a mention, but on the TSKeysandgray twitter, when a few people have tweeted to them to say about missing them presenting football, Keys has insisted it isn't the last of them. A return on the cards for them both then? Is talkSPORT just one step at a time.
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Were Matterface and Gray actually in the stadium tonight, or were they just commentating from London?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 15th February - ITV1

UEFA Champions League Extra Time

Matt Smith presented from the San Siro alongside Andy Townsend and Gareth Southgate

AC Milan v Arsenal - Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend, with Gabriel Clarke conducting post-match interviews
    Zenit St Petersburg v SL Benfica - Jim Proudfoot
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen v FC Barcelona (Tuesday) - Joe Speight
    Olympique Lyon v APOEL Nicosia (Tuesday) - Jim Proudfoot

45 minutes on the AC Milan v Arsenal game, 15 minutes on the other three; although to be fair each of those games received a decent length edit so I can't really grumble. It meant I got to watch the bulk of Kevin Bridges: What's the Story on BBC One without missing the action I hadn't already watched so I'm happy!
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, I am a long time reader of this forum but first time poster

UEFA Champions League Live
    RTE Sport

Presenter
    Bill O'Herlihy

With
    John Giles, Ronnie Whelan & Eamon Dunphy

Commentators:
    AC Milan v Arsenal – George Hamilton & Ray Houghton

Con Murphy with a round up of Tuesday and tonights other game
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    Were Matterface and Gray actually in the stadium tonight, or were they just commentating from London?

They were at the San Siro. Their producer tonight, talkSPORT's outside broadcast manager Matt Smith, has been tweeting pictures from Milan over the past two days including this one of Andy in the commentary box. Sam, Andy and Matt will be at the Amsterdam ArenA tomorrow as well.
    Not sure if it's worth a mention, but on the TSKeysandgray twitter, when a few people have tweeted to them to say about missing them presenting football, Keys has insisted it isn't the last of them. A return on the cards for them both then? Is talkSPORT just one step at a time.

I think Richard may be alluding to them having a role in talkSPORT's Euro 2012 coverage. Richard and Andy were mentioned in the station's press release announcing how they'd secured commentary rights to the tournament (full non-exclusive rights to broadcast every game) and it's expected that they'll be on-site to be involved in their live coverage as well as for their mid-morning show.

To me, there seems to be an obvious way for talkSPORT to enable them both to return to live football presenting on a weekly basis - their coverage of the 1.30pm Sunday Premier League games. talkSPORT broadcast these games under the Sunday Exclusive banner, a programme that airs between 12noon-4pm most weeks, so usually has 90 minutes of studio build-up and around 30 minutes of post-match reaction.

Last season, their first one after winning rights, their studio team for these games was Alan Brazil and Neil Warnock, but this changed upon QPR's promotion and now there doesn't seem to be either a regular host or pundit (ex-Sky Sports News host Georgie Bingham presents some weeks, Brazil on other occasions). This would seem to me to be a blatantly obvious opportunity for talkSPORT to incorporate Keys & Gray (should they want to commit to it, of course) into their live Premier League coverage, with this being something that wouldn't compromise their mid-morning programme or Andy's new co-commentary work on European nights.

They seem happy to be on talkSPORT from what I've heard of their show so if they're keen to return to live games, then it would seem to suit all parties for them to be involved in their current employers coverage (with them having a share of the matches they were doing on television for Sky Sports) rather than having to look for TV work that might not be so forthcoming or as good in terms of games and regularity as talkSPORT can offer. It would also be a good way of giving Keys & Gray a role on their Premier League coverage without this conflicting with Stan Collymore's existing workload (at least part of which is bound by his contract, which runs through until summer 2013) which will be a consideration for the station's bosses.
  • Options
    djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN Australia/New Zealand

Bayer Leverkusen vs Barcelona - Adrian Healey and Robbie Mustoe
    Olympique Lyonnais vs Apoel - Dan Thomas and Tommy Smyth

Zenit St Petersburg vs Benfica - Mark Donaldson and Shaka Hislop
    AC Milan vs Arsenal - Andrew Orsatti and Jaunusz Michallik
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also on Twitter yesterday from Keys;

+ The 'smash it' phrase was started by Jamie Redknapp and the video released from the Stamford Bridge studio isn't full length - he was set up.
    + We will soon know more regarding their departures from Sky, i.e their version of events.

Of course they were set up, but if Keys and Gray weren't the kind of people they were behind the scenes, there would've been no desire for anyone to set them up.
  • Options
    polanticpolantic Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're great, because they usually end with a picture of the commentator, which is always good. I find them quite likable. And ITV ripped it off the other week too.
    Ahh, I've never noticed the commentator on those. Too busy sticking sharp objects in my eyes. I must look out for them next time.
  • Options
    djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFC Champions League Qualifier - Fox Sports 2

Adelaide v Persipura Jayapura
    commentary from Robbie Thomson and Jamie Harnwell with Adam Peacock reporting
  • Options
    George LGeorge L Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    jimmylad wrote: »
    I find it amazing that Football Italia was filmed on site, something that would be unthinkable for European football coverage these days.

It makes it even more ridiculous that the commentary wasn't done on site.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George L wrote: »
    It makes it even more ridiculous that the commentary wasn't done on site.

Well, it sort of makes sense because I guess it's easier to send a camera and one presenter along to give a sense of occasion than it would be to set up a commentary box. They did the same kind of thing with the Diamond League athletics on BBC3 last summer, they used the international feed commentary but sent Jonathan Edwards and Colin Jackson there with one camera so they could grab people for interviews and the like.

Initially it wasn't linked live from the stadium, was it, Kenneth Wolstenholme did it all out of vision. The best Football Italia moment was of course when that Juventus match on the last day of the season was interrupted by a monsoon and Brackers had to fill in for ages, and they lost the line to James Richardson, although they eventually found him, looking like a drowned rat.
  • Options
    commodcommod Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Initially it wasn't linked live from the stadium, was it, Kenneth Wolstenholme did it all out of vision. The best Football Italia moment was of course when that Juventus match on the last day of the season was interrupted by a monsoon and Brackers had to fill in for ages, and they lost the line to James Richardson, although they eventually found him, looking like a drowned rat.

Then the next season they cut off Roma's title win a few minutes early, which must have annoyed people. But I was just satisfied to see live Italian football every Sunday, as there was no live matches at all the following season. It's a shame that there isn't a list of C4's live matches anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Steve's post about Football Italia...
    Initially it wasn't linked live from the stadium, was it, Kenneth Wolstenholme did it all out of vision.

Does anyone know how long this was the case? I remember that by the mid 90s James Richardson was presenting the majority of their live matches from the stadiums, often alongside a pundit - or in this case, from April 1995, Elvis Costello. I've always assumed that having live games linked into by Kenneth Wolstenholme would have only been the case during the first season or two of their ten years, wouldn't mind a definitive answer here though.
    The best Football Italia moment was of course when that Juventus match on the last day of the season was interrupted by a monsoon and Brackers had to fill in for ages, and they lost the line to James Richardson, although they eventually found him, looking like a drowned rat.

To put some more flesh on the bones, all of this madness occurred on the final day of the 1999/2000 Serie A season, with Juventus and Lazio battling it out for the Scudetto with a game to go.

Football Italia's live game that day was Perugia v Juventus, with Juve going into the afternoon leading the title race and the monsoon you mention delaying the game for over an hour. Pierluigi Colina was the referee and called a halt to proceedings, during which time whoever the host broadcaster was (they must have had full rights to Serie A in Italy - or at least to the two matches that mattered to the title race) switched focus to the second half of Lazio v Reggina, so Channel 4 showed that while they were waiting for a development at their original match. Upon its conclusion, the decision was taken to play the second half of the game at Perugia, which Juve duly lost, handing Lazio the title. A memory of mine was the host broadcaster keeping one eye on the Stadio Olmpico during that second half, with the Lazio fans having invaded and settled on the pitch after the game there had ended in order to watch the second half of Perugia v Juventus on the big screen.

Peter Brackley did a marvellous job of both commentating on a match he'd not prepared for and filling during the breaks, and after 135 minutes of action I remember him concluding with "I'm off for a lie down". Anyone remember who his co-commentator was on that afternoon? At a guess it would have been one of Ray Wilkins or Paul Elliott, who were the regular Football Italia co-commentators at the time if memory serves me. I'd forgotten James Richardson was on-site at Perugia in all of the madness, so thanks for reminding me of that image.

Incidentally that fantastic afternoon of television (full credit to Channel 4's management of the time for being prepared to overrun for so long, which as mentioned wouldn't be the case a year later) gave me something of an awakening towards the concept of off-tube commentary - upon crossing over to the Stadio Olmpico something clicked in my mind to tell me that Peter mustn't actually be at the Stadio Renato Curi - and probably kick started my interest in sports broadcasting.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPNHD
    Ray Stubbs With Steve McManaman And Martin Keown
    Lazio vs Atl Madrid--Comms: Jim Proudfoot And David Pleat
    Then Stoke Vs Valencia
    Channel 5HD
    Jim Rosenthal With Stan Collymore on A Corner Studio In Ajax
    Ajax Vs Man Utd--Comms: Dave Woods And Graham Taylor
    ITV4HD
    Matt Smith With Peter Reid And Gareth Southgate
    Legia Warsaw Vs Sporting--Comms: Steve Bower And Andy Townsend
    ITV1HD
    Adrian Childs With Peter Reid And Gareth Southgate
    FC Porto Vs Man City
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live: UEFA Europa League: Lazio v Atletico Madrid (ESPN)

Commentators: Jim Proudfoot & David Pleat
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ajax vs Man Utd

Channel 5 Dave Wood & Graham Taylor

Talk Sport Sam Matterface & Andy Gray
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    UEFA / WORLD FEED

17:00
    Lokomotiv Moscow vs Athletic Bilbao - John Bradley

18:00
    Ajax vs Man Utd - Mark Scott
    AZ Alkmaar vs Anderlecht - John Anderson
    Lazio vs Atletico Madrid - Rob Hatch
    Legia Warsaw vs Sporting - Richard Kaufman
    Viktoria Plzen vs Schalke - Adam Summerton
    SV Red Bull Salzburg vs FC Metalist Kharkiv - Chris Sharples

20:05
    FC Porto vs Manchester City - Phil Blacker
    Hannover 96 vs Club Brugge - Richard Kaufman
    Steaua Bucuresti vs FC Twente - John Bradley
    Stoke vs Valencia - Rob Hatch
    Trabzonspor vs PSV - John Anderson
    Udinese vs PAOK Salonika - Adam Summerton
    Wisla Krakow vs Standard Liege - Chris Sharples

Al Jazeera Sport +3 - Rhodri Williams with Alan Curbishley, Ray Houghton & Andy Cole

They showing: Ajax v Manchester Utd & FC Porto v Manchester City
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how long this was the case? I remember that by the mid 90s James Richardson was presenting the majority of their live matches from the stadiums, often alongside a pundit - or in this case, from April 1995, Elvis Costello. I've always assumed that having live games linked into by Kenneth Wolstenholme would have only been the case during the first season or two of their ten years, wouldn't mind a definitive answer here though.

Not sure, but I do know that Richardson only got the job at the very last minute because they wanted someone who knw about football and could speak Italian. Of course in the first season, Gazetta was "presented" by Paul Gascoigne, with Richardson one of the reporters.
    Peter Brackley did a marvellous job of both commentating on a match he'd not prepared for and filling during the breaks, and after 135 minutes of action I remember him concluding with "I'm off for a lie down". Anyone remember who his co-commentator was on that afternoon? At a guess it would have been one of Ray Wilkins or Paul Elliott, who were the regular Football Italia co-commentators at the time if memory serves me. I'd forgotten James Richardson was on-site at Perugia in all of the madness, so thanks for reminding me of that image.

I do know this because I had a bit of the half-time sequence on an old VHS. Don Howe was the co-commentator, a bit livelier than he was on ITV in the 1994 World Cup. The best bit was when Collina went out under an umbrella to pointlessly kick a ball about to prove the pitch was unplayable, and Brackers said, "No, there is no way that ball will roll", and with perfect timing, Howe said, "No... it'll float", and they had a good chuckle. And the pundit getting drenched with Richardson in Perugia was Joe Jordan, the pair of them looking like they were dressed in binbags. Can't put it on YouTube, I'm afraid, I dunno if I've still got it.

I guess the reason C4 stopped showing live games in 2001 is because there was a bit more football on terrestrial TV on Sunday afternoons that season with ITV bringing back the regional Football League games and the Beeb having more FA Cup matches, and there were two Premier League matches on a Sunday afternoon now as well.

Of course for a while they also did live games on ITV2 in 1999/2000, on a Sunday night, which I think was actually the first choice match for Italian telly. Guy Mowbray used to commentate, and they used to repeat them overnight on C4.
  • Options
    jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elvis Costello on Football Italia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQZnLqmqjM
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    Talk Sport Sam Matterface & Andy Gray

I just caught the last few minutes of this. Sam Matterface sounds a lot like Mike Ingham at times, doesn't he?
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    I just caught the last few minutes of this. Sam Matterface sounds a lot like Mike Ingham at times, doesn't he?

I was thinking that earlier as i was driving home from work. Although i knew it was one of the old BBC Radio guys, i was thinking of Ron Jones!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live: UEFA Europa League: Stoke City v Valencia (ESPN)

Commentators: Derek Rae & Craig Burley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    Sam Matterface sounds a lot like Mike Ingham at times, doesn't he?

You know, you're not the first person I've heard to have likened the voices of those two commentators to one another. I think you are right, there is more than a touch of "a young Mike Ingham" to Sam Matterface.

Thanks for the feedback regarding Andy Gray's co-commentary last night - I presume it was more of the same this evening? Thanks also to Steve for those Football Italia details.
This discussion has been closed.