13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
  • 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pianoforte wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with bread or cake as long as it fits in your daily calorie allowance. Drinking large amounts of water has been debunked as a way of losing weight, it was based on erroneous studies.
    I am at 15% bodyfat and eat bread every day and cake a coupe of times a week. It's all about calories in vs calories out.

quit the bread and cake and you might see 10% bf
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    quit the bread and cake and you might see 10% bf

15% is perfectly healthy no?
    We don't all want to be Charles Atlas do we? Some of us want to be George Sanders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15% is perfectly healthy no?
    We don't all want to be Charles Atlas do we? Some of us want to be George Sanders.

yes its perfectly healthy as you say, you'd might want to better yourself though.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    yes its perfectly healthy as you say, you'd might want to better yourself though.

Does thinner equal better?
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seemingly. Especially as he seems to have bog all else in his favour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, why
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    15% is already more than healthy considering average for a bloke is about 18-25% body fat (25-30% for a woman).

Aiming for 10% unless you’re a competitive athlete is frankly ludicrous, and more likely OCD than ‘bettering yourself’

each to his own, I myself work hard to stay fit & healthy I wouldnt say my regime is OCD, but some people may say that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    pianoforte wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with bread or cake as long as it fits in your daily calorie allowance. Drinking large amounts of water has been debunked as a way of losing weight, it was based on erroneous studies.
    I am at 15% bodyfat and eat bread every day and cake a coupe of times a week. It's all about calories in vs calories out.

Bullocks and water consumption does help with fat loss what are you on about?
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    humdrummer wrote: »
    When I see a hugely obese person I honestly find it sad - and I mean sad in as much as, 'whoa, they've lost complete control, I wonder what's going on for them?'

I'm no bleeding heart but, I don't think anyone gets to the point of being nearly disabled on purpose. There are many studies on food as a part of addiction/control/psychological coping strategy.

We don't question that an anorexic is ill, why do we question the credentials of the morbidly obese? And I'm not talking overweight, as overweight people can be, and frequently are, very happy and healthy.

Think about it...saying a person gets morbidly or super obese because they are lazy is the same as saying an anorexic is just an attention seeker. Both are using food or controlling food in order to ease psychological symptoms.

Excellent and insightful post!

I also am happy to agree with OP's points. The bread might be subjective but it works for me - bread, which I do like, and understand how to eat healthily, gives me fluid retention, and weight is weight, I'm glad to be without it.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Instead of slagging off people who are at the start of a 'getting healthier' journey, here are the tips that work for me:

1. Don't eat as much. It's simply a case of fewer calories in helps you lose weight. We tend to *think* we eat less than we do. But if you count up things like snacks, that packet of crisps, those lattes etc. you'll see they all add up.

2. Get some exercise. This doesn't have to be going to the gym. It could be taking up a sport, going swimming, going for a long walk. It's just about getting some physical activity in to your life a couple of times a week. Contrary to what has been said here, my PT actually says that rest days are a good thing.

3. Accept that some days you feel like watching the TV. That's fine. On a rest day. Oddly, I feel better after going for a run for instance. So I may have felt like crud beforehand but after the gym I'm usually energised.

4. Don't worry if other people are doing better than you. Good for them! Go at a pace that works for you. The benefits you see will be yours, not theirs.

5. Eat better. Yes, back to eating. My dietician gave me a helpful model for eating: about a fist size of carbs, about two open hands of veg, about a flat palm of protein and about a thumb pint of oil. It's starting to work for me.

These things are starting to work for me. I've dropped a fair bit last year; not as much as I'd have liked but then again I didn't make as big an effort as I could have done. This year I am. And I am noticing the difference.

And don't forget that if you're going to do something radical then see a healthcare professional / GP etc. for advice too. Internet forums are probably the worst place to get advice LOL.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Instead of slagging off people who are at the start of a 'getting healthier' journey, here are the tips that work for me:

1. Don't eat as much. It's simply a case of fewer calories in helps you lose weight. We tend to *think* we eat less than we do. But if you count up things like snacks, that packet of crisps, those lattes etc. you'll see they all add up.

2. Get some exercise. This doesn't have to be going to the gym. It could be taking up a sport, going swimming, going for a long walk. It's just about getting some physical activity in to your life a couple of times a week. Contrary to what has been said here, my PT actually says that rest days are a good thing.

3. Accept that some days you feel like watching the TV. That's fine. On a rest day. Oddly, I feel better after going for a run for instance. So I may have felt like crud beforehand but after the gym I'm usually energised.

4. Don't worry if other people are doing better than you. Good for them! Go at a pace that works for you. The benefits you see will be yours, not theirs.

5. Eat better. Yes, back to eating. My dietician gave me a helpful model for eating: about a fist size of carbs, about two open hands of veg, about a flat palm of protein and about a thumb pint of oil. It's starting to work for me.

These things are starting to work for me. I've dropped a fair bit last year; not as much as I'd have liked but then again I didn't make as big an effort as I could have done. This year I am. And I am noticing the difference.

And don't forget that if you're going to do something radical then see a healthcare professional / GP etc. for advice too. Internet forums are probably the worst place to get advice LOL.

This really makes sense.

Also, although we've not lost any weight, when we cleared out my inlaws flat, we had their dinner plates which were smaller than ours. You can't get so much food on, but we're still full, so it really does help to eat off a smaller plate!

Thanks for a well thought out post.
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attach a powerful magnet to your wrist and an opposing one to the door of the fridge so when you try and open the door your hand is repelled.

:D Could have been straight out of Viz!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member

Doing welights at the gym actually helps with excess skin around your belly believe it or not. You should be eating more not less and more good food too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice one!

Yes shifting BIG weight in the gym actually shifts BIG weight from the tum!

Eating fat actually helps lose fat too! :eek:
    "Not a lot of people know that one though". :cool: