161,000 signed UK Parliament petition - Accept more asylum seekers!

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah
    let's welcome them heartily .....

and a week later?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    What is this obsession with Labour wanting to take the folks already in Europe? Have they got welcoming parties set up ready to be at St Pancreas?

Is that a hospital? :)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Walking around London yesterday it was sad to see the large number of homeless out on the streets. It is a shame that the Government does not offer the save level of support as it does to refugees - i.e feed and house them. However the UK Government has a track record in looking after the welfare of others before their own people.

tell me about it. Then there's food banks appealing for help, Big Issue sellers, homeless ex servicemen, OAPS too hard up to put their heating on, Day Centres closing down, people rooting through supermarket skips for leftover food ..... It really bugs me.

There used to be an old saying "you can't put a quart into a pint pot." And that's very true.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Is that a hospital? :)

Ha ha. Bloody phone and it altering what you type. Edited it.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walking around London yesterday it was sad to see the large number of homeless out on the streets. It is a shame that the Government does not offer the save level of support as it does to refugees - i.e feed and house them. However the UK Government has a track record in looking after the welfare of others before their own people.

Especially ex-servicemen who should be helped to find a home and work above just about anyone else, considering what they've had to do the last few years and then been dumped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    tell me about it. Then there's food banks appealing for help, Big Issue sellers, homeless ex servicemen, OAPS too hard up to put their heating on, Day Centres closing down, people rooting through supermarket skips for leftover food ..... It really bugs me.

There used to be an old saying "you can't put a quart into a pint pot." And that's very true.

Cameron has agreed to 20k over 5 years. The stark reality of this will hit Labour councils in particular when their fuzziness wears off. Councils have big reserve funds that they haven't been using. Millions and millions. It's been deliberate. Osborne will come in and demand that they use them - you watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FINALLY a sensible statement ..... and that's from a tory too!
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Labour are now moaning it's only going to be a maximum of 4000 per year, for five years and none from the EU.

It's like listening to a game of party political poker.

"I raise you your 10k plus another 5K"
    "I raise you another 5K to 20K"
    "I'll raise you 20K plus another 30K"

Still, no-one has come close to beating Natalie "Mad as a box of frogs" Bennett's 240K. :cool:
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Germany takes them in but can't even supply them with enough sleeping bags?!

Merkel is showing all the signs of Mrs Thatchers last years in office - been in power too long, seen as invincible and is totally losing the plot.

Charities in Munich are telling the Media to ask people not to bring food or clothing because they are overwhelmed and have too much already.

A poll by Germman broadcaster on Thursday showed that 88% of Germans want to donate food and clothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT LONG TRADITION OF IMMIGRATION???

it's only after WW2: WAR HARDER were we bringing in others, so we could rebuild our island ..... before that, what was happening?
  • heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    yeah
    let's welcome them heartily .....

and a week later?

oh you little cynic :p

EVERYBODY knows that it takes the money tree in the back garden a week to mature!
  • heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Charities in Munich are telling the Media to ask people not to bring food or clothing because they are overwhelmed and have too much already.

A poll by Germman broadcaster on Thursday showed that 88% of Germans want to donate food and clothing.

and are those 88% still going to be donating months and months from now.... I think we both know the answer to that.

5Live radio this morning had an interview with a women who was going to Germany because "they will give me a house". The reality of sleeping in dormitories in converted schools, factories is going to come as a shock...
  • Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    WHAT LONG TRADITION OF IMMIGRATION???

it's only after WW2: WAR HARDER were we bringing in others, so we could rebuild our island ..... before that, what was happening?

The Huegenots!
    https://www.historytoday.com/robin-gwynn/englands-first-refugees
  • Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    It's like listening to a game of party political poker.

"I raise you your 10k plus another 5K"
    "I raise you another 5K to 20K"
    "I'll raise you 20K plus another 30K"

Still, no-one has come close to beating Natalie "Mad as a box of frogs" Bennett's 240K. :cool:

If it's 4K a year for five years, that's bearable. Kinda surprised the heartstrings photo didn't garner more. Quasi-backbone from Cameron? That's a first.

Apparently Knickers Less Sturgeon, Natalie Bennett and Yvette Cooper are all offering to put the Great Unwashed up in their homes. It's getting farcical. It really is a Whose The Loveliest Lefty game of poker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Nash wrote: »
    If it's 4K a year for five years, that's bearable. Kinda surprised the heartstrings photo didn't garner more. Quasi-backbone from Cameron? That's a first.

Apparently Knickers Less Sturgeon, Natalie Bennett and Yvette Cooper are all offering to put the Great Unwashed up in their homes. It's getting farcical. It really is a Whose The Loveliest Lefty game of poker.

I've got BBC Parliament on now. It's Labour MP after Labour MP standing up and demanding to know why Cameron isn't taking the folks on the wander in Europe. Why these folks are more worthy than the ones who are did not attempt the journey no doubt due to lack of funds is beyond me.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Petition 'for' is currently at 427,169, petition 'against' is currently at 88,897.

Against is currently behind by 338,272 signatures. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

I thought we'd do a little update so lets see how its changed in the last 3 hours.

Petition 'for' is currently at 427,871, petition 'against' is currently at 93,263.

Against is currently behind by 334,608 signatures.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got BBC Parliament on now. It's Labour MP after Labour MP standing up and demanding to know why Cameron isn't taking the folks on the wander in Europe. Why these folks are more worthy than the ones who are did not attempt the journey no doubt due to lack of funds is beyond me.

Yes, those already in Europe are clearly the most mobile, and had the money to get there. The people we are talking about taking - in the camps - are more vulnerable and include orphans, injured people, raped lone women, more elderly without family support, fewer language skills.
    If we said we were taking the pick of the young, educated healthy ones with some Euros left in their pockets, Labour would be wailing about the people in the camps.
  • Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just over 6000 signatures needed now in order to hit the magic number of 100,000 meaning this could be considered for debate in parliament. I doubt it will though, be considered that is. The Government haven't yet responded when the petition hit the 10,000 mark.

Parliament Petition
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 26 but sometimes wish I was 70, so I won't see the state this country will be in in the future with Islamic terrorists running rampant in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Yes, those already in Europe are clearly the most mobile, and had the money to get there. The people we are talking about taking - in the camps - are more vulnerable and include orphans, injured people, raped lone women, more elderly without family support, fewer language skills.
    If we said we were taking the pick of the young, educated healthy ones with some Euros left in their pockets, Labour would be wailing about the people in the camps.

Cameron made a good point as well. The checks will all be done in the asylum camp prior to them coming to Britain. There won't be lengthy asylum processes to go through. Perhaps it's the labour luvvie human rights lawyers that are miffed. The legal system will be circumvented. That will save the country a pretty penny.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, well under 100,000 in over 100 years.
    Jews, Chinese, from the West Indies...all in manageable numbers over 60 or so years, all having to work to support themselves as it was mostly before the welfare state.
    In the last 20 years it's been millions, from everywhere in the world, and that's why people are concerned about the infrastructure which frankly can't cope with what we already have.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron has agreed to 20k over 5 years. The stark reality of this will hit Labour councils in particular when their fuzziness wears off. Councils have big reserve funds that they haven't been using. Millions and millions. It's been deliberate. Osborne will come in and demand that they use them - you watch.

What about the countless 1000's in Calais waiting to get to Britain? Will they be included in the 20,000 figure or will they continue to be swept under the carpet by the Government?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the countless 1000's in Calais waiting to get to Britain? Will they be included in the 20,000 figure or will they continue to be swept under the carpet by the Government?

France are accepting 24K refugees.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I'm 26 but sometimes wish I was 70, so I won't see the state this country will be in in the future with Islamic terrorists running rampant in the UK.

Why would they be running rampant?
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Against has just hit 90K. Who'd have thought it considering how badly worded it is.

Might be crudely written, but it chimes with what people are thinking and saying.