Options

Facebook Forgotten Password

soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,537
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here's a conundrum. My firiend has forgotten her Facebook password on her PC, even though she is still logged in on another device but her original email address is no longer functional. So there is no point doing a password reset process as it is, because she can't access the message sent.

So my ploy is to set-up a new email account then try to change the email address in Facebook to the new one first. Does anyone now if this will work or will this require the Facebook password as well?

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Here's a conundrum. My firiend has forgotten her Facebook password on her PC, even though she is still logged in on another device but her original email address is no longer functional. So there is no point doing a password reset process as it is, because she can't access the message sent.

So my ploy is to set-up a new email account then try to change the email address in Facebook to the new one first. Does anyone now if this will work or will this require the Facebook password as well?

You could try it but most security systems would simply reply - email password is already in use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    If you are looged in on another PC, you should be able to, but wll need to know the password. Assume on that pc that you cannot interrogate any password manager (like lastpass) or the broswer saved password manager to retrieve it.

But check that she did not have 2-step verification setup first or get her to set it up for future use.
    It may have been tied into a mobile number or other form of authentication.
    One of the reasons as well as security where it can help in situations like yours.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Except that password entry is required to change or add an email address.

This is the correct help topic: https://en-gb.facebook.com/help/132243923516844

If Facebook's account recovery tool doesn't allow recovery then the account holder will probably have to send electronic copies of an ID document to Facebook.
  • Options
    SamsungUserSamsungUser Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Has she tried setting one up using her mobile phone number that is how I got back into my facebook account