Options

Youview box question

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I seen one on eBay a Humax can they be used as a normal Freeview PVR without subscribing to BT?

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    If it's a Youview+ box and (obviously) if it works correctly, yes. The best ones are the smaller series 2 boxes (e.g. the T2100).
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    If it's a Youview+ box and (obviously) if it works correctly, yes. The best ones are the smaller series 2 boxes (e.g. the T2100).

It was the t1000.

Not sure if it's worth getting or putting the extra towards a Freeview Humax. Depends how laggy the guide would be?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I would avoid. Horrible UI (even if it gives the impression of looking slick) and a track record of unreliability (I have had three die on me in short order). The series 2 box is, so far, hanging in there.

I suggest trying to find an old Humax Fox T2 model at bargain price.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with the older Humax youview box but I do agree that the smaller G4 Humax BT box is a lot better and has a far better remote.
    I used to have a Humax Freeview PVR a few months after Humax first came out with a Freeview PVR and the EPG used to take a good 5 seconds or so to load up. Humax has improved a lot since then and they are now one of the better makes of set top boxes.

Darren
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the older Humax youview box but I do agree that the smaller G4 Humax BT box is a lot better and has a far better remote.
    And it is much, much faster at loading iPlayer, etc.
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a BT Youview (Humax) box, out of contract from Cash Generator, but found that some recordings were failing, I was using a indoor aerial which picks up a very strong signal from Wenvoe, and was using it in my bed room. Luckily I still had my Old BT Vision (Pace) Box which is also out of contract, which records no problem and swapped it over, it now resides in my front room and records if I need it to, hooked up to a outdoor aerial.