Options

Monkey

I used to love this show as a kid along with the Water Margin. I have been watching it through Genesis on Kodi & it brings back so many memories from when I was a kid. The night Monkey was on BBC was the only night I would rush through my homework & then sit watching Monkey while eating dinner then it would be out to the local park with my mates to beat each other up with brush poles that were painted black with gold tape on each end. I can even remember pestering my mum to hire a Monkey costume for Halloween.

Each episode I have watched over the past week I have had a big grin on my face as the show is just as bonkers as I remember it. The great dubbing, the bad special effects, the great music in it & the crazy fights.

Anyone else in their 40's remember this great cult show?

Comments

• Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my all time favourites :) A definite must watch at 6pm (from memory) I think it was on Mondays?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    One of my all time favourites :) A definite must watch at 6pm (from memory) I think it was on Mondays?

I thought it was on Fridays

The last time Monkey and The Water Margin were shown on British TV was back in 2006 on ITV4.

I'm thinking they could fit on the Horror Channel
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »

I can't remember exactly what day it was on but it was always on at 6pm like you say. Think the BBC started showing it 1979 or 1980.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I thought it was on Fridays

The last time Monkey and The Water Margin were shown on British TV was back in 2006 on ITV4.

I'm thinking they could fit on the Horror Channel

The last time I can remember it being on BBC2 was back in the late 90's or early 00 when BBC2 did a Kung Fu night, as well as the Hong Kong action movies they also showed Monkey episode 1 & 2. I didn't have access to Bravo when they showed it. Personally I don't see why the BBC can't just show both Monkey & Water Margin again unless there is rights issues.

I am really tempted to get the box set from Amazon that has both Season 1 & 2 but I would also have to get the 13 lost episodes set that were dubbed by some of the original voice dubbing cast back in 2004.

A lot of TV shows & movies I loved as I kid are not the same now I'm older but Monkey is just so much fun & exactly as I remember it all those years ago.

It would be a good if Horror channel started showing it, it would fit in with the Hulk & Wonder Woman retro feel they have going the now.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    I used to love this show as a kid along with the Water Margin. I have been watching it through Genesis on Kodi & it brings back so many memories from when I was a kid. The night Monkey was on BBC was the only night I would rush through my homework & then sit watching Monkey while eating dinner then it would be out to the local park with my mates to beat each other up with brush poles that were painted black with gold tape on each end. I can even remember pestering my mum to hire a Monkey costume for Halloween.
    ?

I had difficulty finding it on Kodi, is it under 'Monkey' or the Japanese title?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had difficulty finding it on Kodi, is it under 'Monkey' or the Japanese title?

You need the Genesis addon, I just clicked on Genesis & then search TV shows & typed in Monkey & it was the first search result.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought Tripitaka was a woman. I swear every week I'd have to remind myself he was a monk. :D

And I still go around shouting "I am not a pig *snort noises*!!". Unfortunately nobody else gets this reference. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need the Genesis addon, I just clicked on Genesis & then search TV shows & typed in Monkey & it was the first search result.

Didn't work for me, must depend when you log in from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahoy someone has put it on the youtubes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXnXZ0oABp4
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I always thought Tripitaka was a woman. I swear every week I'd have to remind myself he was a monk. :D

And I still go around shouting "I am not a pig *snort noises*!!". Unfortunately nobody else gets this reference. :cry:
    Tripitaka was a woman. Well, played by one - it's a bit of a tradition in Japan for a woman to play the part. Like Peter Pan in pantomimes here.

The Chinese made a sort of prequel in 2013 - Journey To The West-Conquering The Demons. Just as zany.

eta: the whole film seems to be on Dailymotion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't work for me, must depend when you log in from.

Will send you a pm. I didn't have to login for it to show. I'm using Kodi on a PC.

Edit it says you can't accept pm's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Tripitaka was a woman. Well, played by one - it's a bit of a tradition in Japan for a woman to play the part. Like Peter Pan in pantomimes here.

Yeah I found that out later, but I was confused as a kid, I thought a woman could be a monk, then have to remind myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I had such a crush on the woman that played Tripitaka, Sadly Masako Natsume passed away in 1985 from acute leukemia :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will send you a pm. I didn't have to login for it to show. I'm using Kodi on a PC.

Edit it says you can't accept pm's

No worries. I found it before if I use Kodi on my tablet, but for some reason when I use Kodi on my Laptop it doesn't find it, even though I'm using Genesis on both Kodi.

One time I found it under its Japanese title.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'The Water Margins' was better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No worries. I found it before if I use Kodi on my tablet, but for some reason when I use Kodi on my Laptop it doesn't find it, even though I'm using Genesis on both Kodi.

One time I found it under its Japanese title.

Weird, I just followed a youtube video guide on how to set it up & everything pretty much works other than IP Stalker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

I loved them both but found Monkey a bit more light hearted, used to have epic fights with my brother as he preferred Water Margin :D
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Chinese made a sort of prequel in 2013 - Journey To The West-Conquering The Demons. Just as zany.

I loved the animation based on this folk/fairy tale that was produced by James Hewlett (he of the Gorillaz animation and Tank Girl art, and the above mentioned) that accompanied the Beijing Olympics back in 2008.

I'm surprised in this day and age of fantasy and special effects led films, that an international cinematic film, live-action or animation hasn't been made yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised in this day and age of fantasy and special effects led films, that an international cinematic film, live-action or animation hasn't been made yet.

That is one film remake I'd like to see done.

But it would have to keep the character of Monkey and the others from the TV series, if not the look.

Oh and the Theme Tune, they can't change that or it would be sacrilege.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I loved the animation based on this folk/fairy tale that was produced by James Hewlett (he of the Gorillaz animation and Tank Girl art, and the above mentioned) that accompanied the Beijing Olympics back in 2008.

There was another version released last year - The Monkey King - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCj-XP5cjOY

It's Ok, but not as amusing as the other one I mentioned.

The story of Monkey/Tripitaka/Sandy&Pigsy (Journey to the West) has been made into several TV series/films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was another version released last year - The Monkey King - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCj-XP5cjOY

Nice FX but I think I'd prefer it a bit more grounded rather than all the in the air battles.

And I don't think they've got the character right from what I can see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is one film remake I'd like to see done.

But it would have to keep the character of Monkey and the others from the TV series, if not the look.

Oh and the Theme Tune, they can't change that or it would be sacrilege.

Agreed, the show had some great music in it & the theme song was a classic. Turned out I was actually singing the second line wrong for years, I always sang the funkiest monkey that ever rocked as that is what it sounded like to me. Turns out it's actually the punkiest monkey that ever popped.

Managed to find two ringtones online for the theme song, one has the whole spoken intro before the song & the other just has the first few lines & chorus.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nature of monkey was irrepressible!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Narrator: The wicked go to hells, the good go to heavens and the pure neither live nor even die... but those hit on the head tend to fall unconscious.

Monkey: I always thought Buddha was a fella!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Monkey was more-light hearted than The Water Margin but they both had great theme music and opening narration

"The ancient sages said 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say it wil not turn into a dragon'.. so may one just man become an army"