Options

Why we must help the refugees

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvOnXh3NN9w&feature=youtu.be

An excellent video which outlines most of the key points and salient facts. It may have already been posted elsewhere in the forum but I haven't seen it.

Whatever side of the fence you are on I ask you to spend just 6 minutes watching this. It may very well change your outlook.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should the refugees (not the ones in camps) not help themselves though by applying for asylum in the first safe country they arrive in and not deciding where they want to go and becoming violent if they are not allowed in ?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't bother, and it wouldn't change my view but thanks for trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Should the refugees (not the ones in camps) not help themselves though by applying for asylum in the first safe country they arrive in and not deciding where they want to go and becoming violent if they are not allowed in ?

Yes. That's mentioned in the video. I would kinda suggest you watch it before commenting?
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched of when it said we should integrate them into our societies because that's bull and they don't want to and tend to live in their own communities.
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

An excellent video which outlines most of the key points and salient facts. It may have already been posted elsewhere in the forum but I haven't seen it.

Whatever side of the fence you are on I ask you to spend just 6 minutes watching this. It may very well change your outlook.

Thank you
    Why on earth would a 'refugee crisis for dummies' video make anyone change their mind, either way? :confused:
  • Options
    Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A series of unsupported assertions.

Anyway if it is true, as he states, that they are mainly highly educated, commit less crimes and will add value to a society taking them, starting businesses and paying in much more than they receive, why should the wealthy European nations take them?

How greedy and selfish can we be taking all these wonderful people from places like Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey etc who obviously need them more than we do.. They obviously are going to massively improve those places, the video says so!

No lets all agree with him and lets all campaign to keep them in those countries and not be our usual self centered, greedy bastards robbing countries of their best!

Maggie
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only people that will be convinced by that patronising and factually inaccurate video are people that already have their heads up their arses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    I switched of when it said we should integrate them into our societies because that's bull and they don't want to and tend to live in their own communities.

Why do you say that?
    Why on earth would a 'refugee crisis for dummies' video make anyone change their mind, either way? :confused:

Have you watched the whole thing?

It certainly taught me a few things I didn't already know.

Congrats on being so clued up, but I don't think many people are, especially given the distorted nature of tabloid reporting and the like.
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The only people that will be convinced by that patronising and factually inaccurate video are people that already have their heads up their arses.

In what way was in factually inaccurate? :confused:

I agree it's sort of 'patronising' to start with, but that's only because it was clearly designed with universal appeal in mind and starts at the very beginning for those who genuinely don't know anything about the situation. I don't think that takes away from the rest of the contents of it.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    As long as they all live in the same street as the OP - then yes ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Without having watched the video just yet...

I have never had any issue with helping refugees.

Economic migraints and these armies of thuggish young men who attack police and try to break through borders are not people I would have thought any sane individual would want in their country, though.

The problem comes in trying to find out who are the refugees and who are the thugs taking the mickey.
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you

The video was very shouty and disjointed. I lasted 22 seconds.

I am pleased that England is helping the Syrian refugees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    As long as they all live in the same street as the OP - then yes ;-)

I don't mind.

I live in an area of high immigration anyway, I don't have any problem with it. A lot of my neighbours are either Middle Eastern or Eastern European in origin :)

That's in stark contrast to the many xenophobic types who live in white-British suburbia yet still believe they're 'overrun' by immigration.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind.

I live in an area of high immigration anyway, I don't have any problem with it. A lot of my neighbours are either Middle Eastern or Eastern European in origin :)

That's in stark contrast to the many xenophobic types who live in white-British suburbia yet still believe they're 'overrun' by immigration.

Indeed you do not have a problem with it just as those who live in 'white-British suburbia' do not have a problem with where they live. For some reason it seems that many wish to force what they like on others. They do not wish to necessarily force 'white-British suburbia' onto you, why do you, and many like you, wish to force a multi-ethnic suburbia on to them? You may not like what they like, you may even dislike them for liking it but it seems churlish to demand they accept something they do not want.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind.

This is quite an ignorant post. So, you live in a high immigration area? Fine. Those that don't are not xenophobes. They just want to preserve the British way of life for future generations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed you do not have a problem with it just as those who live in 'white-British suburbia' do not have a problem with where they live. For some reason it seems that many wish to force what they like on others. They do not wish to necessarily force 'white-British suburbia' onto you, why do you, and many like you, wish to force a multi-ethnic suburbia on to them? You may not like what they like, you may even dislike them for liking it but it seems churlish to demand they accept something they do not want.

Eh?

Who should have any say?

I'm not concerned if my street is filled with people who are entirely from Syria or entirely from the Home Counties. It's nothing to do with me. Everybody is entitled to a place to live and everybody in my opinion has the right to determine where they live within reason (ie. wherever practical).
    wizzywick wrote: »
    This is quite an ignorant post. So, you live in a high immigration area? Fine. Those that don't are not xenophobes.

I agree, only some are xenophobes. There are many nice people in the suburbs. But quite a few xenophobes too.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    They just want to preserve the British way of life for future generations.

Pray do tell, what do you mean by this?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

So, hypothetically, if the UK happened to be the nearest safe country, you would be in favour of the UK taking in 1-2 million refugees?
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a lot of time to debate on here now, but I did quickly watch it.

Initial flaws that I noticed were:

- No mention of potential terrorists and extremists (one has already been found at Hungary, a second at Calais).

- Assumes that Muslims will have less children in later generations (has this been proved yet?)

- No mention of dissatisfied second and third generation Muslims in Western countries(that tend to become extremists).

- BBC has reported that only 21 percent of the economic migrants in Europe are actually Syrians anyway.

- Germany has reported that approx 50 percent of the Syrian's who have claimed asylum have professional skills (I doubt this has been verified if their claims are true or not yet either). Assuming this is true, what about the other 50 percent?

- What happens in 5-6 years time when most of the economic migrants can't get jobs as there isn't enough work for native Europeans anyway?

- What about the experiences we have seen of Muslims forming tight knit communities, and not wanting to integrate resulting in Muslim only areas?

- Not all countries will take in Muslims in Europe anyway, and some already have a reasonable number, so their assumption of countries not becoming Islamified may not be true.

I think this will do for now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »

You make some fair points;

- No mention of potential terrorists and extremists (one has already been found at Hungary, a second at Calais).

That's sort of fair enough, but I don't know what else should be done.

Would you ignore a massive humanitarian crisis because a few might be terrorists?

I guess this is a matter of opinion but for me, it's a risk I think we should be willing to take.

The vast, vast majority wont be terrorists.. and there are still plenty of domestic terrorists, criminals and nutters here already. We keep them under surveillance and we lock them up when we find them. What more can reasonably be done?
    - Assumes that Muslims will have less children in later generations (has this been proved yet?)

Yes, the stats were in the video but this is something I knew already. Birth rates normalise within 2-3 generations.

High birth rates are symptomatic of LEDC's, low birth rates are a natural part of MEDC's. We learnt that in Geography at school 10 years ago.
    I- No mention of dissatisfied second and third generation Muslims in Western countries(that tend to become extremists)

Um? Sorry? I know many second and third generation Muslims (they live all around me). There's no mythical mass dissatisfaction among them.

:confused:
    Germany has reported that approx 50 percent of the Syrian's who have claimed asylum have professional skills (I doubt this has been verified if their claims are true or not yet either). Assuming this is true, what about the other 50 percent?

Fair enough. The other 50% therefore.. don't. But many jobs are still 'unskilled'.
    What happens in 5-6 years time when most of the economic migrants can't get jobs as there isn't enough work for native Europeans anyway?

This is the most valid point you've made, but at the same time I can't ignore a humanitarian crisis just because the jobs market is bad at the moment. That's just me.
    What about the experiences we have seen of Muslims forming tight knit communities, and not wanting to integrate resulting in Muslim only areas?

I think this is a bit of a myth. Yes I can think of a couple of notable places where this has been a problem (Tower Hamlets), but I just don't believe it to be typical and I think has more to do with local 'politics'. As aforementioned I live in an area of high immigration and it's diverse. Lots of Muslims from the Middle East but also lots of Sikhs/Hindus from India and lots of Eastern Europeans too. The place hasn't turned into some sort of Islamic micronation.
    Not all countries will take in Muslims in Europe anyway, and some already have a reasonable number, so their assumption of countries not becoming Islamified may not be true.

Can you give any examples... ?
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh?

Who should have any say?

I'm not concerned if my street is filled with people who are entirely from Syria or entirely from the Home Counties. It's nothing to do with me. Everybody is entitled to a place to live and everybody in my opinion has the right to determine where they live within reason (ie. wherever practical).

I agree, only some are xenophobes. There are many nice people in the suburbs. But quite a few xenophobes too.

Pray do tell, what do you mean by this?

Then why the concern and disparaging of those who select to live in a white-British suburb. The point about mass immigration is it will change the areas that others are comfortable with and will not affect what you like. Taking lots of these current migrants will add to that change as it seems currently our leaders are unable to control effectively the numbers and quality of those who come as a matter of routine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Then why the concern and disparaging of those who select to live in a white-British suburb.

Because people who don't automatically embrace multiculturalism with open arms and no critical thinking are vile racists, don't you know. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why the concern and disparaging of those who select to live in a white-British suburb.

Apologies if I was misunderstood but it's just an anecdotal observation.

A lot of people who seem to whinge about immigration seem to live in places where immigration largely is an irrelevance,

I wasn't attempting to be disparaging to people who live in the suburbs. My parents live in the suburbs and they certainly aren't 'anti-immigration'.
    The point about mass immigration is it will change the areas that others are comfortable with and will not affect what you like.

But how? Can you give an example of how this, or how it will manifest itself?

It just comes across as 'paranoia' for lack of a better word. Again, not trying to be disparaging, but what exactly do you think all of these immigrants are going to do or demand? :confused:

There are many already here... and I don't see them making any unreasonable demands. It naturally fits that a lot who are here, came here because they appreciate and want to live in this country, not turn it into something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because people who don't automatically embrace multiculturalism with open arms and no critical thinking are vile racists, don't you know. ;)

It's not racism per-sey (although it can be sometimes) but I think it is a phobia, a fear. Xenophobia if you will.

It's an irrational fear because we have proven time and time again that immigration hasn't radically altered this country for better or worse.

The country/world is obviously changing all the time. Things are very different now to how they were in, say, the 60's or 70's, absolutely, but not because of immigration.

We're more advanced and open now than we've ever been. If immigration was this massive dragnet slowing everything down surely we'd be going backwards, not forwards?
  • Options
    simon_vale1simon_vale1 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »

Never even looked at the diatribe but one thing is for certain they can be integrated into decent society as long as they want to destroy our culture and way of life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never even looked at the diatribe but one thing is for certain they can be integrated into decent society as long as they want to destroy our culture and way of life.

The only people saying immigrants want to 'destroy our culture and way of life' are people like you though.

How can you make such statements and keep a straight face?

Where's the evidence for this?

And what exactly do you mean by our 'way of life' anyway? Is this not a free country whereby we are free to vote for who we like, pray to who we like and go about our business as we like within reason?
  • Options
    simon_vale1simon_vale1 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not racism per-sey (although it can be sometimes) but I think it is a phobia, a fear. Xenophobia if you will.

It's an irrational fear because we have proven time and time again that immigration hasn't radically altered this country for better or worse.

The country/world is obviously changing all the time. Things are very different now to how they were in, say, the 60's or 70's, absolutely, but not because of immigration.

We're more advanced and open now than we've ever been. If immigration was this massive dragnet slowing everything down surely we'd be going backwards, not forwards?

Ok I'm going to bite, you say it's a fear,xenophobia well how does that square with my belief that isam wants Jews like me dead, to me they are on par with nazism, they want the freedom to reign supreme and trash all before all in the sake of Mohammed nonsense.

Send the lot of them packing.