Freeview - should be called 'almost-freeview'

2»

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few of the channels on Freeview require you to get extra 'devices' to view them. When I tried to tune into VintageTV I kept getting the message, "sorry your freeview tv is not compatible with this device" or something like that. I just wish that Freeview would
    be like it says...... "Freeview". Its so annoying.

Stupid argument - the SERVICE is free to view. Even just watching the normal service costs money because you have to BUY a TV.

Freeview is a service provider not an equipment provider. End of story!
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    As for PMT's - for less than a single stereo audio feed for the main six multiplexes you could fit all the channels on Freesat into the PMT....

But we aren't getting all of the channels on Freesat, we are getting channels in Chinese, Japanese and multiple obscure languages from around the planet, which could eventually run into hundreds of channels. Also the delightful shopping channels, which everyone will see as "must record" material.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Incidentally, accessing those working ones involves loading-up a text-based front page and then pressing the red button - is that the same on the fvHD-only services?).
    No, the extra red button step is only on Youview. I think these services have to be specifically enabled to work on Youview.
  • Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Stupid argument - the SERVICE is free to view. Even just watching the normal service costs money because you have to BUY a TV.

100% agree
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect these channels cause a lot of unnecessary retunes for people, cause confusion and maybe even affect performance (certainly the old Topfield PVRs ran short on memory with too many LCNs stored, leading to most owners deleting some dull channels).

It'd be great if some 'neutral' company (DTV Services Ltd? DigitalUK?) could run just one or two LCNs, for example 'Internet TV Free' and 'Internet TV Pay' and have a portal on each to access the relevant content. I'm sure someone's going to come along and tell me why that's impractical, but the current system is pretty messy too.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    (certainly the old Topfield PVRs ran short on memory with too many LCNs stored, leading to most owners deleting some dull channels
    Fortunately there is a TAP to semi-automate the tuning and channel deletion process on a Toppy.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    No, the extra red button step is only on Youview. I think these services have to be specifically enabled to work on Youview.

Interestingly enough, I looked at one of the "red button channels" and it describes itself as an "app". Strange then that the latest YV update adds an "Apps" section which only contains a couple of BBC services. Strikes me that the whole freeview/youview interface and service is becoming messy - it may be time to strip it back to basics.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »

"freeview" is not a "service provider" - freeview is a product/service supplied by DTV Services Ltd - currently the only supplier allowed in the UK of but that's a situation that could change.

You do not "have to buy a TV" to receive or record freeview - plenty of devices, including TV sets, can do that without it being their sole or even their primary function.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do not "have to buy a TV" to receive or record freeview - plenty of devices, including TV sets, can do that without it being their sole or even their primary function.
    You really are splitting hairs there. replace "TV" with "receiver." You still have to buy it.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "freeview" is not a "service provider" - freeview is a product/service supplied by DTV Services Ltd - currently the only supplier allowed in the UK of but that's a situation that could change.

What do you mean the only supplier ?
    DTG services is an advertising promotion outfit whose name is used to make it simple for people to identify the UK DTT platform ... Which they do not run..
    And their logo is used with the endorsement of BIS I.e DTI as was to equipment which confirms to the DTG D book.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "...You do not "have to buy a TV" to receive or record freeview - plenty of devices, including TV sets, can do that without it being their sole or even their primary function.

The term "Freeview" refers to terrestrial digital TV in the UK. Any device which receives DTT would be called a TV or STB or PVR. Other devices can display video through the internet, but this isn't Freeview.
    Or do I misunderstand ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the "plenty of devices" was intended to include things like TV tuner cards and dongles. "Video through the internet" certainly doesn't qualify.