Options

How can you help a child stop

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
Forum Member
being a victim? I have a lovely 10 year old boy, he's very intelligent and kind hearted. However he is very prone to tears, he often comes out of school upset because someone has picked on him, or he's had a bad day. He says that everyone hates him (which isn't true, he often has friends back for tea).

He wants to change schools. I have tried to explain that children will be mean wherever he goes and he needs to change how he re-acts. He always looks on the negative side of things.

He's upset, and so it upsets me. I am worried that when he moves up to secondary school he won't be able to cope. I think he needs to "toughen up" a bit, but I don't know how to help him to do it. I have already spoken to his teacher who has said that his emotional development is behind what they would expect at his age. I guess it must be something to do with my parenting skills. How can I boost his confidence and help him be more positive?

Comments

• Options
    FilfFilf Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs confidence, get him into a martial art group of some sort. He'll make new friends and build confidence.
  • Options
    Jevo90Jevo90 Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just about to post a similar thread in the same section of the forum, so I'll check back to any replies you have, and you may want to look at my replies too. I hope it gets sorted :) x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Filf wrote: »
    He needs confidence, get him into a martial art group of some sort. He'll make new friends and build confidence.

He won't, anything where he's got to do anything in front of other people frightens the life out of him!

He plays hockey after school, but he thinks that others won't pass him the ball on purpose because he's rubbish. I must admit that he isn't gifted athletically (I'm putting it kindly), he quite akward and ungainly. I don't know whether its a good thing to keep making him play because it seems to re-enforce his feelings of inadequacy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jevo90 wrote: »
    I'm just about to post a similar thread in the same section of the forum, so I'll check back to any replies you have, and you may want to look at my replies too. I hope it gets sorted :) x

Thanks, will do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I'd certainly agree with helping him to gain confidence - are there any clubs or groups outside school he's expressed an interest in? Being good at something works wonders for a child's self-esteem and as Filf says he'll also make a new circle of friends - some of whom may well also be at his school but he may never have had the opportunity to get to know.

I think you're doing the right thing though by telling him that this is something he has to deal with himself (well, obviously with a lot of support from you!) because he will come up against this time and time again throughout his life.

Maybe you could encourage him to have a chat with a favourite teacher if there is a particular child who is picking on him - not only will the teacher be able to look at it objectively and sort it out if it is a problem, but he'll also feel more confident because he's dealt with it himself.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try and find something that he is good at. If he isn't sporty, maybe he can find something else. Is he musical? or maybe good at chess? Anything where he is good, so he feels confident doing it.
    The school should be supporting him, if they have recognised a problem, then they should have ways to help and encourage him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greedyguts wrote: »
    He won't, anything where he's got to do anything in front of other people frightens the life out of him!

He plays hockey after school, but he thinks that others won't pass him the ball on purpose because he's rubbish. I must admit that he isn't gifted athletically (I'm putting it kindly), he quite akward and ungainly. I don't know whether its a good thing to keep making him play because it seems to re-enforce his feelings of inadequacy.
    That could be because it's a team sport though? Worrying about letting his side down. Martial art classes can be quite small and there are many different types. The classes I've seen take all shapes and sizes and my friends hubby runs one that encourages children with disabilities to join. But it's your call.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Your son sounds dyspraxic like me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't go naming someone as dyspraxic due to being ungainly at sport. There are way too many pigeon-holes around now that people feel the need to squish folk into. And yes I know what dyspraxia is in great detail.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Filf wrote: »
    You can't go naming someone as dyspraxic due to being ungainly at sport. There are way too many pigeon-holes around now that people feel the need to squish folk into. And yes I know what dyspraxia is in great detail.

So do I,I live with it everyday and everything that was written by the OP describes me,so I know I have more authority on the subject than you do.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh for goodness sakes, if he's clumsy that means he's clumsy not dyspraxic :rolleyes:

According to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyspraxia the profiles of dyspraxia are as follows:
    Ideational dyspraxia
    Difficulty with planning a sequence of coordinated movements.

Ideo-Motor dyspraxia
    Difficulty with executing a plan, even though it is known.

Difficulties controlling the speech organs.
    Difficulties making speech sounds
    Difficulty sequencing sounds
    Within a word
    Forming words into sentences
    Difficulty controlling breathing and phonation.
    Slow language development.
    Difficulty with feeding.

Learning basic movement patterns.
    Developing a desired writing speed.
    The acquisition of graphemes – e.g. the letters of the Latin alphabet, as well as numbers.
    Establishing the correct pencil grip
    Hand aching while writing

Poor timing
    Poor balance (sometimes even falling over in mid-step)
    Difficulty combining movements into a controlled sequence.
    Difficulty remembering the next movement in a sequence.

Problems with spatial awareness, or proprioception
    Mis-timing when catching
    Complex combination of skills involved in using scissors

Bearing only zero resemblance to what was posted:
    he's quite akward and ungainly

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get him horse riding - It'll improve his balance and co-ordination, as well as being mentally stimulating enough (he has to think about what he wants the horse to do, not just how to get the horse to do it). Plus, you can get him one-to-one lessons to begin with, eventually progressing into a group (though I'd say group lessons are better once the basics are learnt, as most of the time the attention isn't on the kid, but the horse mainly.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do I,I live with it everyday and everything that was written by the OP describes me,so I know I have more authority on the subject than you do.
    I hardly think that putting the willies up this boys mother just because you have it hardly constitutes an accurate diagnosis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Practice, practice, practice, is really all any sport takes. When I first played rugby, I was terrible, missed loads of easy catches and couldn't tackle a fly.
    Thus - why people train! Each time you train you reduce the chance of you missing a catch, or kicking off-target.

With regards to hockey - tell him to keep at it, practice ball-skills when he's at home, run small drills to up his balance (2x4 on a couple of bricks should do the trick)

He may be slightly clumsy, but that doesn't mean he's dyspraxic.

With regards to the sensitivity, he may well just be a sensitive lad. I've always been that way, but you grow out of the tearful stage and turn into an amazing listener, and a very good emotional speaker. Just give it time, tell him to ignore people who are being mean/whatever, and to throw something back their way, and to take everything with a pinch of salt. At that age everyone is scuffling to get to the top of the playground, and it'll be the same next year. Afterwards when everybody's found "their place", then it'll be a lot easier.

I'd also suggest maybe getting him involved in Rugby. It'd be a good place for him to make strong bonds with people that will last a long time, it'll toughen him up in the physical sense (which will help him face any trouble-makers!), and will serve him well for the rest of his young life.

Finally - it is NOTHING to do with your skills as a parent. I admire you for having the courage to ask for help! You must truly care for your son, and it shows in the effort you want to put into making his life better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I don't think he has Dyspraxia but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I will get him involved in something "arty" I think because that would be therapeutic as well. I don't know why I didn't think of it!

I think I need to look at how me and my husband parent him, I want to help him but I don't know how.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I used to be a little like this, and still have doubts today (I've just turned 17! :o) I learnt that most f the time its all in your head, but there will always be someone that doesn't like you for whatever reason, and you just have to ignore them and get on with it. If it really becomes a problem (it didn't for me) then just get the teachers to sort it out. It might be best to get this sorted now because he will have a mare going to secondary school. :(

As regards the sport thing, I would advise him to give hockey up to be honest. He is entirely correct if he says kids won't pass him the ball because he's rubbish, I only used to pass to the good kids, in fact it was often just me and two other kids actually playing in PE half the time because the other 2 or 3 on our team couldn't hit a ball. Sad for them but thats how it goes I'm afraid.

I only play sports I'm good at, (golf, cricket and badminton, with the odd bit of tennis) but could never do rugby so gave that up, same with some martial arty thing.

Tell him to find something he is good at, doesn't have to be a sport (my mate is totally crap at sports, but he can build computers and program like no one I have ever seen!) it will improve his self esteem no end, and try and make it a group activity if you can. Try and find what his friends are into and see if you can get him to tag along. Karting may be a good thing, or Table Tennis, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, neither require you to be massively athletic. :)

Good luck, I hope it goes well. :)
  • Options
    BlackVarnishBlackVarnish Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe let him develop at his own pace? He sounds as if he's a kid who's still completely innocent and to be honest I think that should be kept as long as possible because once its gone it can never be got back. Maybe, if you can afford it, get him a few one on one lessons in a martial art and then when he feels confident enough he could go into a group? Whatever you do, please don't try and force him to grow up or toughen up before he's ready. You sounds like a brilliant parent anyway so good luck. :)
  • Options
    nationwide232nationwide232 Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe he needs some confidence. Do you compliment him and tell him you love him? Do you always tell him off and focus on all the negative things he does? Instead you should tell him he is loved and cuddle him and kiss him and tell him how great he is.

Does he have a good male role model to do all these things(I'm presuming you are the mum)?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    he must build on his confidence. get him to join a club, hand about with pals or something. whatever, he does, be behind him 100%.

can i say, that you could have given it a better title, i thought you were talking about him smoking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well maybe he needs some confidence. Do you compliment him and tell him you love him? Do you always tell him off and focus on all the negative things he does? Instead you should tell him he is loved and cuddle him and kiss him and tell him how great he is.

Does he have a good male role model to do all these things(I'm presuming you are the mum)?

I tell him I love him lots of times everyday. I can't remember the last time he did anything naughty (which also concerns me slightly because he's too eager to please). We are very close, sometimes he says exactly what I'm thinking.

I'm going to ring his school tomorrow and make an appointment to see the Headmaster. He knows my son quite well, and he has obviously had lots of experience with children(!) so perhaps he can give me some advice too.

I must thank you all for your kind and helpful comments. I have read them all and been really touched that people can be bothered to reply and say nice things as well. I have been a bit wound up and worried about my son, and I feel a lot better about it now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll pick up on you being wound up by the way, can cause kids to be more anxious...this can then go in circles. I remember my mum making me do activities and thinking "sheesh, she just wants me out the house" but her dust-em-down and pick-em-up attitude really did bring me out of myself.

I know he's quite young but I wondered if he could also be starting his stretch, just by the way you described his awkwardness. May be due *the talk*.

What excites or stimlulates him in the house? Cartoons, games, comics, films, music? Have a think and see if there are summer activites nearby that include his hobbies. I would've rather died than stand on a stage but my wee bro loved his drama club. I prefered painting the scenery. Still got to be involved and mix with people I wouldn't normally of met.
  • Options
    nationwide232nationwide232 Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell him I love him lots of times everyday. I can't remember the last time he did anything naughty (which also concerns me slightly because he's too eager to please). We are very close, sometimes he says exactly what I'm thinking.

I'm going to ring his school tomorrow and make an appointment to see the Headmaster. He knows my son quite well, and he has obviously had lots of experience with children(!) so perhaps he can give me some advice too.

I must thank you all for your kind and helpful comments. I have read them all and been really touched that people can be bothered to reply and say nice things as well. I have been a bit wound up and worried about my son, and I feel a lot better about it now.

You sound like a great mum given how concerned you are about him. I hope things work out for the little guy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I need to look at how me and my husband parent him, I want to help him but I don't know how.

My ten-year-old daughter was very like your son, emotionally. It was so hard to see her getting upset over the most trivial comments from her classmates, although at the time, what seemed trivial to me obviously wasn't to her. We (mainly my husband) started to engage her in a bit of banter at home, gentle teasing with witty retorts etc. I must confess it does drive me nuts sometimes, but a couple of years down the line we enjoy a lot of laughter in our house, and she can now give as good as she gets, and is much more confident in dealing with both trivial, and sometimes quite nasty, comments from people at school.
    Although it is a form of toughening up, it's toughening up in a funny way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I don't think he has Dyspraxia but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I will get him involved in something "arty" I think because that would be therapeutic as well. I don't know why I didn't think of it!

And don't automatically blame yourself! Mothers always think everything is their fault... I know I do. but sometimes things happen that you aren't responsible for. And you love him and care about him. He is very lucky.