Options

Qatar 2022 World Cup, discussion and speculation

Comments

• Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Odd how it's only the English Premier League players this valid excuse applies to, right?

it would also be terrible for the players.

play August to november

Then spend 7 weeks out due to the world cup (and not playing if you are not in a squad, on the bench or out after the first 2 games)

THEN come back and play in the FA cup, league Cup, CL and fight a PL season until June

Utter madness.

Of course if you get injured in the tournament, you are out for your club - no summer off to rest up and heal.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole thing's an unworkable smorgasbord of bollocks. Football will be dead by then anyway, we've had our last legitimate World Cup now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing's an unworkable smorgasbord of bollocks. Football will be dead by then anyway, we've had our last legitimate World Cup now.

well lets face it, at the moment there is no way Russia can hold the 2018 world cup due to their recent actions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next two hosts are both giant plundering missteps but I can't see FIFA doing much about it to be honest, at least not without a regime change first. Talk of boycotts can only get stronger.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd how it's only the English Premier League players this valid excuse applies to, right?

I wouldn't say any of the PL players were physically very fit. RVP for instance was exhausted after the group stages. The PL is too long and demanding for players and many arrive at the World Cup unfit.

England just has the disadvantage of having almost 100% English PL players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next two hosts are both giant plundering missteps but I can't see FIFA doing much about it to be honest, at least not without a regime change first. Talk of boycotts can only get stronger.

Can we honestly see USA, England, and the european clubs playing in Russia at the moment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I wouldn't say any of the PL players were physically very fit. RVP for instance was exhausted after the group stages. The PL is too long and demanding for players and many arrive at the World Cup unfit.

Spain won tournaments with a large number of Barcelona players who enjoyed mammoth seasons, I think it's another cop-out excuse applied to England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spain won tournaments with a large number of Barcelona players who enjoyed mammoth seasons, I think it's another cop-out excuse applied to England.

correct

most players in the WC play in the european leagues, exactly the same as the Prem.

It is no excuse whatsoever for the english players
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Can we honestly see USA, England, and the european clubs playing in Russia at the moment?

Yes, absolutely. FIFA have always been very effective at keeping football apolitical. In 4 years time the issues in Ukraine will be long forgotten. No-one missed the Winter Olympics this year despite the troubles in Crimea brewing and Russia's anti-gay legislation.

As for the last 2 WC's being 'legit'? You think there's any less corruption or human rights abuse in SA or Brazil than Russia or Qatar? Truth is we all fell for the romance of the first African WC and a WC in Brazil and are swayed by the anti-Russian bias of our media (most of which is justified, but not all). Qatar is clearly a wrong choice for the WC and was almost certainly bought but there's no evidence of Russia being a dodgy selection. We're just bitter we were so obviously snubbed.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Commons select committee hearing about the bid has just started with Greg Dyke to be followed by the Sunday Times insight team......you can watch it live online or on the Parliament channel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04bdvsj
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The Commons select committee hearing about the bid has just started with Greg Dyke to be followed by the Sunday Times insight team......you can watch it live online or on the Parliament channel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04bdvsj

These MPs are utterly clueless, this hearing is getting absolutely nowhere. They are asking the most basic questions that anyone who has followed this at all already knows the answers to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    These MPs are utterly clueless, this hearing is getting absolutely nowhere. They are asking the most basic questions that anyone who has followed this at all already knows the answers to.

correct - its embarrassing.

the only thing they can do is take their ball away - and it looks like he doesnt have the bottle to do so
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh FFS, now they are praising him for B Teams! They really have no understanding of football. We need B Teams because they do that in Germany apparently (no one has told them that Germany are looking to get rid of them because they don't think they are worth it). It still amazes me that Dyke went to Germany and saw all the great stuff they do over there and what he brought back was ****ing B Teams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Oh FFS, now they are praising him for B Teams! They really have no understanding of football. We need B Teams because they do that in Germany apparently (no one has told them that Germany are looking to get rid of them because they don't think they are worth it). It still amazes me that Dyke went to Germany and saw all the great stuff they do over there and what he brought back was ****ing B Teams.

simply not fit for purpose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the MPs reckons that B Teams would be a financial boon for lower league clubs because they'd get huge gate receipts from Premier League B Teams visiting them! These people are so divorced from reality it's painful to watch.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,949
    Forum Member
    How will it work with the Premier League not having a winter break?

Other countries only have 2 weeks don't they? The break will need to be 8 weeks probably so I doubt our lack of winter break really comes into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A winter World Cup may actually work in England's favour. It might just be the first time PL players arrive physically fit enough to compete.

They do every WC anyway. Our lack of quality isn't to do with fitness.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How many games did the likes of Messi and Neymar play last season compared to say the England players?

It's a terrible excuse and one that I rarely hear the players using as they know it's untrue.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't say Messi or Neymar showed great fitness either. I'm only talking about fitness, not quality by the way. Messi was mostly walking and looked tired and Neymar couldn't sustain good fitness beyond the first 3 games. The Spanish team arrived in a complete state and yes, Spain did win three major tournaments in a row, but they were young back then. It may not necessarily be the long schedule, but the fitness training in their respective clubs. Only Bayern Munich players looked exceptionally fit. I would say it's worrying to see young English players not being able to play 90 minutes without cramps when you had Italian pensioners looking fresh as a daisy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I wouldn't say Messi or Neymar showed great fitness either. I'm only talking about fitness, not quality by the way. Messi was mostly walking and looked tired and Neymar couldn't sustain good fitness beyond the first 3 games. The Spanish team arrived in a complete state and yes, Spain did win three major tournaments in a row, but they were young back then. It may not necessarily be the long schedule, but the fitness training in their respective clubs. Only Bayern Munich players looked exceptionally fit. I would say it's worrying to see young English players not being able to play 90 minutes without cramps when you had Italian pensioners looking fresh as a daisy.

Bayern Munich who played 56 games last season you mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy good, Bundesliga good, England bad. Just C+P this into everything and save us all the bother.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    well lets face it, at the moment there is no way Russia can hold the 2018 world cup due to their recent actions.

Though we heard a lot of doom and gloom before South Africa and Brazil and yet both tournaments were a success. I assume the situation in Crimea will have sorted itself out by 2018 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Russian tournament is a success.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having it in the winter simply won't work. It would be a logistical nightmare and it wouldn't work in the summer for obvious reasons. Therefore forget about having it in qatar. Wasn't usa in the running. Maybe they could have it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Having it in the winter simply won't work. It would be a logistical nightmare and it wouldn't work in the summer for obvious reasons. Therefore forget about having it in qatar. Wasn't usa in the running. Maybe they could have it again.

Well then FIFA need to tell Qatar they're not having it and see what happens. But they won't, because they're FIFA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »

It was australia, and of course the northern hemisphere summer is their winter.

qatar getting the WC is one of the single most unbelievable decisions in sport.

50 degree heat, in a country with a population of only 2million

they need 8 stadia with capacities of over 50k - that would fill 25% of the entire population :p