Global GMG Deal - Competition Commission

Comments

• Phil HenryPhil Henry Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I have questioned Global Radio's financial management on this forum for some time, but had no idea they were avoiding tax. What I do know, is that they have cut hours of local programming and merged radio stations presumably to save money. So despite not having enough money to keep stations separate and local, and despite being so short of money that they have resorted to tax avoidance, they want to buy an entire group which consists of about 15 radio stations.

Now I'm not normally one to jump in and defend Global (although I don't go out of my way to bash them either, especially as I may end up working for them at some point! ;) ), but, what on earth makes you think that they don't have enough money to keep stations separate and local?! :confused: They have been allowed to do what they've done by the regulators (OFCOM), so there is no legal or business reason that they shouldn't do what they have.

They've done the networking thing because it makes good business sense to minimise outlay in order to maximise profit. They are a business, and the core aim of ANY business is to make money. Advertising revenues are difficult to get hold of at the moment due to the economy, so anything that a business can do to maximise their profit (or minimise their losses!) is good business sense! If there are legal (and the tax loopholes they are using ARE legal) ways to minimise tax outlay, then of course they're going to use them!

They are NOT "avoiding tax", what they are doing has been agreed with HMRC. Using that phrase makes it sound like they're doing something illegal, which they obviously aren't as it's agreed with HMRC!

Oh, and, for the record, they HAVE already bought the Real, Smooth and Real XS stations and paid GMG for them... There's no wanting to do it, it's a done deal! What is currently in question by the CC is if they're allowed to have control of all of the stations that they now own, or if they will have to sell some to appease the CC... :rolleyes:
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I have questioned Global Radio's financial management on this forum for some time, but had no idea they were avoiding tax. What I do know, is that they have cut hours of local programming and merged radio stations presumably to save money. So despite not having enough money to keep stations separate and local, and despite being so short of money that they have resorted to tax avoidance, they want to buy an entire group which consists of about 15 radio stations.

Actually it's normally when organisations aren't short of money that they are able to take part in such schemes.

Nick Abbot on LBC has mentioned a few times that he asked his accountant about such schemes and was told that he didn't need to worry about it as he didn't earn enough!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    John Simons leaves the building. The Heart is starting.....

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/05/john-simons-to-leave-real-after-13-years/
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet there are still people on here who think Real will survive.

John Simons leaving was as inevitable as night following day. I wonder when he'll turn up at Team Rock.
  • andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, think we could pretty much see that coming....

... not too sure what to make of this though...

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/05/kiis-producer-to-help-real-smooth-staff/

Giving them one last roll of the dice to improve their skills before they are booted out the door?!:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    andrew1973 wrote: »

Giving them one last roll of the dice to improve their skills before they are booted out the door?!:confused:

To be fair Dennis Clark is a legend in radio and a thoroughly nice bloke, as is Elvis Duran, so it will be a valuable session. As you say, though, how many of them will see the benefit of it is up for debate.
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    casaboy22 wrote: »
    To be fair Dennis Clark is a legend in radio and a thoroughly nice bloke, as is Elvis Duran, so it will be a valuable session. As you say, though, how many of them will see the benefit of it is up for debate.

Bootcamp was clearly a GMG (as was) rather than Global decision - there's no way Richard Park would let his staff and presenters learn ideas from anyone other than him.

At Global, there's only one way. You won't find any American or Australian consultants in Leicester Square.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wondered why Paul Hollins was on Smooth as Global have it.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I wondered why Paul Hollins was on Smooth as Global have it.

He's freelance so can work for what group he likes, besides Paul has freelanced for smooth under GMG.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    casaboy22 wrote: »
    John Simons leaves the building. The Heart is starting.....

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/05/john-simons-to-leave-real-after-13-years/
    The only shocking thing here is that he stayed for so long after the buyout.

Then again he may be on a very good payoff for helping to manage the company through the changes.
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty much what I was contemplating posting so am glad someone else said it first. Apart from the 'confused' bit,

In fact, it's a nice touch before most of them are 'on the market' and in the spirit of GMG of old. Few employers would do such a thing (why would they?) so well done to Global for doing more than just saying 'sorry we're gonna let you go.....Heart's coming next month'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member

Nonsense! GMG have Boot Camps for Presenters / Producers across all brands every year.
    This is nothing new, just business as usual.:rolleyes:
    Some people just read far too much into everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Striker77 wrote: »
    Nonsense! GMG have Boot Camps for Presenters / Producers across all brands every year.
    This is nothing new, just business as usual.:rolleyes:
    Some people just read far too much into everything.

Oh come on! Regardless of previous years, how can it possibly be 'business as usual' with such a giant wooly mammoth in the room. The group PD who announced this one day with such gusto is revealed to be leaving the company the next!

The CC announce their findings in just over a fortnight and since Global have had to sit around bankrolling GMG's mostly dreary stable for a year, chances are they won't want to let the grass grow any longer under the stations they are allowed to keep.

Heart is coming, so in all probability is Gold with enough soul/ mowtown to tick the boxes and at least half the folk at this 'boot camp' will be on notice in the very near future.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Dean Martin told a midlands listener, disappointed that he couldn't hear Gold on his radio any more, that he should hold on, as things could change. Gold on FM?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean Martin told a midlands listener, disappointed that he couldn't hear Gold on his radio any more, that he should hold on, as things could change. Gold on FM?

Yes.

Gold naturally needs to evolve anyway as the years pass so merging it with the Smooth format makes perfect sense.

Since the charts are nowadays dominated by black R&B, having the Gold brand evolve to compliment that would work.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Gold on 100.4 would be fantastic! :P
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

Gold naturally needs to evolve anyway as the years pass so merging it with the Smooth format makes perfect sense.

Since the charts are nowadays dominated by black R&B, having the Gold brand evolve to compliment that would work.

Or maybe Dean is bringing his show to Smooth?
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is in the charts now should have absolutely no bearing on what Gold plays.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold on 100.4 would be fantastic! :P

How would being on FM be fantastic. It s on DAB in your area, in stereo. The playlist needs a large dose of spice.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    How would being on FM be fantastic. It s on DAB in your area, in stereo. The playlist needs a large dose of spice.

Next you'll be claiming that Gold only plays 300 tracks...
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next you'll be claiming that Gold only plays 300 tracks...

I would think 700.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    I think the Smooth brand is too big to lose and probably one of the main reasons Global purchased GMG. So can't see any spare FM freqs.

Perhaps he was indicating Gold may return to DAB soon in the Midlands. Not sure where the space would be found though, particularly with the W.Mids mux about to close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion is Global bought GMG for Real, anything else they can keep is a bonus. I can see the CC demanding sales and Smooth will go, the only exception being W Mids and London where the frequencies will be kept and Gold will be placed on them. Elsewhere Smooth will be sold to either UTV or Orion and will become a shadow of what it is now. Just my opinion of course!
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elsewhere Smooth will be sold to either UTV or Orion and will become a shadow of what it is now. Just my opinion of course!
    Bauer in thier statement said that the London FM frequency was needed if Smooth was sold as a whole operation, so they may be keen on buying it to ensure they are nearer more of a similar size to Global plus Real rebranded to Heart? Guess they danger for Global would be that Bauer will in vest in Smooth and use it to boost Magic to rival Gold or Heart?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion is Global bought GMG for Real, anything else they can keep is a bonus.

Definitely, holding on to the Real stations will be their biggest priority to bring the flagship Heart brand in to South Wales, Northern England and Scotland. Smooth is a nice bonus if they can keep it but isn't as important, Real XS is of no significance whatsoever.