Is Crimewatch short on stuff

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I mean seriously, I thought the point of Crimewatch was to appeal to the public for crimes which have not been solved, yet it seems lately that the programme seems to be spending more time on crimes which are already solved. It also seems to be moving towards a news based and documentary based approach. Are viewing figures dropping? why have the BBC decided to go this way?

Edit: its doing it now, focusing on a story which has been on the news and will be on the news again later. There must be families who would like to make an appeal on the programme.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's excessive to have a few minutes on a 'result' from today.

And it may seem a bit odd that they're talking about the Woolwich murder, but the police held a conference this morning where they were asking for more people to come forward - so that would fit with the purpose of the programme.

Not to sound disrespectful, but it will all be in the news.

No doubt relatives of those murdered in other incidents who wanted an appeal on the programme are not going to get it because of the time lost.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's excessive to have a few minutes on a 'result' from today.

And it may seem a bit odd that they're talking about the Woolwich murder, but the police held a conference this morning where they were asking for more people to come forward - so that would fit with the purpose of the programme.

Well it's been 10 minutes now and they'ye not once asked for info from the public. Now they're waffling on about terrorism:yawn:
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    • Public interest.
    • High profile.
    • Current.
    • Appeal for help

First 13 mins of a 60 min programme, seems 'topical to me.

I would be shocked if they didn't cover it.
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first 15 minutes have been like a low budget version of the "News".
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Crimewatch has just started! :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been wondering this because it now seems to be all about what developments have been made in crimes that have been featured on Crimewatch in the past. Of course, it's a good thing if there's no crimes to make appeals about. But yeah, I was just wondering about this though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I think this news item style thing is really misplaced, and I also think nearly 15 minutes to cover events which will be covered again in less than an hour is a waste of broadcasting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That last item about stealing mobile phones was so amaturish it could have been a Jon Culshaw mickey take.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I've just been wondering this because it now seems to be all about what developments have been made in crimes that have been featured on Crimewatch in the past. Of course, it's a good thing if there's no crimes to make appeals about. But yeah, I was just wondering about this though.

They have always done feedback on previous crimes featured, if they did not do so then someone would be moaning that they are never told whether someone has been caught because of help from viewers.

The police seem very keen to get more evidence on Woolwich even thoiugh superficially they seem to have plenty. It might be that they are hoping to catch associates of the alleged murderers. Lots of people (mainly men!) stood around taking pictures on mobile phones whilst the three women went to the aid of the victim or confronted the alleged murderers.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I mean seriously, I thought the point of Crimewatch was to appeal to the public for crimes which have not been solved, yet it seems lately that the programme seems to be spending more time on crimes which are already solved. It also seems to be moving towards a news based and documentary based approach. Are viewing figures dropping? why have the BBC decided to go this way?

Edit: its doing it now, focusing on a story which has been on the news and will be on the news again later. There must be families who would like to make an appeal on the programme.

Speaking as someone old enough to remember the first Crimewatch I think, to a degree, you have a point. There was more reason than most tonight perhaps with two very major crimes in the news today, but the show has a very different feel now than for the vast majority of its history imo.
    Don't mind knowing the show has proved its worth by getting results, but the crime stories used to have their own series once with Crimewatch Solved.
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The story on the £400,000 stamp robber was concluded in September 2009? Ref> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8259840.stm
    This feature belongs on a separate Crimewatch successes programme surely? Couldn't this broadcast time be used to help solve live cases?
  • Presuming EdPresuming Ed Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    The appeals programme lasted until 9.30, the rest was covering old cases/special reports etc and also take away the five minutes in the first half to cover the 'news' and you have an appeals programme of 25 minutes long.

Absolute joke! so much better back in the day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    tuned into CW last night - what's with the new layout with the news style programme?!

Even the theme tune is less dramatic :-)
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people complaining there's not enough crimes police wants public to help provide info? This is not some kind of a fixed and rigid format political or entertainment talk show. Nothing wrong with them telling me how some crimes in the past were solved! They don't have to jam-pack the 'show' with grisly unresolved violent assault or murder cases!
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can anyone tell me where i can view last weeks adition of crimewatch ,can't find it on iplayer,any help please?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    emails wrote: »
    can anyone tell me where i can view last weeks adition of crimewatch ,can't find it on iplayer,any help please?

I think they take it off after 24 hours...

YOUTUBE?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »

You can't on iplayer as the Beeb has a rule to take it down after 24hours due to any update's or criminals featured being caught. But it might be on utube it was a few days ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is still on utube
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far we had one reconstruction, a recap of Madeline, an in depth debate on child on child sex and now an interview about a rock band member who has been missing since 1995.

Crimewatch used to be all about reconstructions of crimes obviously they have had budget cuts and can't afford the reconstructions.

Now what's coming up to fill some time including an interview with Madeline detective.

Photo wall again now... any more reconstructions Crimewatch?
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should do a reconstruction of when Crimewatch was watchable.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    They should have spent longer on the Luke Durbin case. I lived in the area at the time he went missing and have followed it but there was what I would consider important new information and CCTV that I've never heard or seen before.

Never heard it said he may be in debt with the wrong crowd before although the club he was last seen at, Zest, was later closed down following a fatal shooting and had its licence permanently revoked due to it's violent reputation (with people coming in from London) so I'm not surprised.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we had a missing pop star from Manic Street Preachers, a promo for Hollyoaks and now the murder of the brother of Jade Jones (who is married to Emma Bunton).

Nice to see Crimewatch featuring the ordinary everyday members of the public.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick, someone - commit a crime!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    So we had a missing pop star from Manic Street Preachers, a promo for Hollyoaks and now the murder of the brother of Jade Jones (who is married to Emma Bunton).

Nice to see Crimewatch featuring the ordinary everyday members of the public.

And don't forget about the short re-appearance of two despicable liars.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    So far we had one reconstruction, a recap of Madeline, an in depth debate on child on child sex and now an interview about a rock band member who has been missing since 1995.

Crimewatch used to be all about reconstructions of crimes obviously they have had budget cuts and can't afford the reconstructions.

Now what's coming up to fill some time including an interview with Madeline detective.

Photo wall again now... any more reconstructions Crimewatch?
    As if that 1995 disappearance hasn't had quite a lot of publicity over the years. Funny how Manic Street Preachers also have some new music out. They only want the "sexy" crimes now do they?

What about a missing case I well recall, that could well have re-featured, as it's just gone 25 years since it happened. Always stuck in my mind as I was about the same age at the time. Lee Boxall, a 15 year old boy went out in September 1988 and was never seen again. Infact why don't the BBC have a proper monthly missing persons programme, which could maybe do so much good and raise awareness of cases all over again and lead somewhere.

EDIT; I see that Crimewatch appear to have featured the Boxall case back in February this year, and have just found and watched the 5 minute film with his parents on the show website. Very sad indeed.