'and', 'with' and 'featuring' as

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
Forum Member
✭✭
In american shows what acting qualificcations do you need to be the actor at the end of the title sequence that say and featuring with etc

I'm thinking Paul Guilfoyle in CSI
Tom Bosley in Happy Days
Peter MacNicol in Ally McBeal

Are they the real star of the show? Or an afterthought?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean like in Only Fools and Horses when the titles said:

David Jason

and

Nicholas Lyndhurst

with

Buster Merryfield

?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main actor/s are listed first, then the bitplayers and if you are featured as a 'with' or 'featuring' (like in DW where Billie was last in the credits for Turn Left) you are a special additipn to the show. So basically just as important as the main players.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Hill Harper and Eddie Cahill are special additions to every episode of CSI:New York then?

Or,why did the credits of Buffy say 'and Alyson Hannigan as Willow"? After all,the show was called 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer,not 'The Adventures Of Willow The Witch"!!!
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Alyson got bumped to the "and..." only after the departure of ASH. I think it's saying that 'this character is important, but not as much so as the main star" kind of thing.

I feel some research coming on as I've often wondered about this too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Charmed, they listed "And Holly Marie Combs", who was one the main stars. Although, in her case she came third, so they listed more credits after 'and'. She was also an Exective Producer, and integral to the show, so in that case it was not a lesser character.

On The King of Queens, it was 'and Jerry Stiller', to say he was equal to Kevin James & Leah Rehmini, and ahead of those who played lesser characters (Patton Oswalt, et al).

I think it means one of the main stars, higher than the rest. I assume it's just something agents & lawyers quibble about, it doesn't seem to have a hard & fast rule or seem to mean much.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it says "starring a,b,c,d and e" then there's nothing wrong with that,it's when you get "starring a,b,c,d and (actor name) as (character name) that you think 'what is so special about this actor/character that sets them apart from the others'? Why can't they just do it like,for example, the Australian show Sea Patrol and list the cast in alphabetical order?