Cinema prices are taking the piss!

CentCent Posts: 26,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What the hell!

I wanted too take my dad to see Avatar 3D, in the afternoon. I am a student, he is a senior.

For me, him, smallest drink each and smallest popcorn each...

Vue - £24 (Discounts for early screening, student, senior and combo food/drink)

Odeon - £30 (Discounts for student, senior)

Cineworld - £25 (Discounts for student, senior)

(We actually went to Vue, other prices based on online ticket prices and food prices last time we went)

I realise its 3D and that food and drink are expensive, but this is bordering on ridiculous.

If we were both adults that Odeon price would be £35.

To compare, if we booked online right now me and my dad could get a day at Alton Towers for £45.

It's just too expensive to be able to do anymore for me. Anyone else the same?

Comments

• grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't advise anyone buys food at a cinema, take a bag of revels and a coke zero, that is what I always do costs about £2.00 total.

Regarding cinema tickets I pay around £6.50 for a regular 2D film, which is very good value for 2010 - it costs about £4 to rent a dvd these days. The cinema is offering a service and is paying a large chunk of your ticket price to Mr Cameron.

3D cinema will never become the norm until it can be achieved without those silly glasses which can cause nausea.

Having said all this I hope you enjoyed the film, Alton Towers would have been a bit chilly today, also Avatar cost a lot more to make than Alton Towers cost to build.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise anyone buys food at a cinema, take a bag of revels and a coke zero, that is what I always do costs about £2.00 total.

Regarding cinema tickets I pay around £6.50 for a regular 2D film, which is very good value for 2010 - it costs about £4 to rent a dvd these days. The cinema is offering a service and is paying a large chunk of your ticket price to Mr Cameron.

3D cinema will never become the norm until it can be achieved without those silly glasses which can cause nausea.

Having said all this I hope you enjoyed the film, Alton Towers would have been a bit chilly today, also Avatar cost a lot more to make than Alton Towers cost to build.
    mmm... maybe.

Did really enjoy the film.

But I do DVD rental at the moment and its £10 a month, 2 discs at a time, unlimited discs a month.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    It;s ridiculous.And they wonder why so many people download films.Last weeks trip cost us (family of 4) £90.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why buy drinks and popcorn at the cinema? I always take mine in with me. Well Coke and Jelly Babies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    What the hell!

I wanted too take my dad to see Avatar 3D, in the afternoon. I am a student, he is a senior.

For me, him, smallest drink each and smallest popcorn each...

Vue - £24 (Discounts for early screening, student, senior and combo food/drink)

Odeon - £30 (Discounts for student, senior)

Cineworld - £25 (Discounts for student, senior)

(We actually went to Vue, other prices based on online ticket prices and food prices last time we went)

I realise its 3D and that food and drink are expensive, but this is bordering on ridiculous.

If we were both adults that Odeon price would be £35.

To compare, if we booked online right now me and my dad could get a day at Alton Towers for £45.

It's just too expensive to be able to do anymore for me. Anyone else the same?

Yes.

Shan't say more about it but I do agree - the prices are mental.
  • g jonesg jones Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw Avatar 3d at Vue this afternoon. Two premier seats and two medium drinks cost £24.60. Not cheap but when you think it only works out at £4 an hour per person for complete escapism it seems more reasonable .At least Vue give you the 3d glasses in the price while cineworld charge an extra 80p for them.
    I also really enjoyed the film and feel that it will lose a lot of it's impact when seen on a tv screen in 2d.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why buy drinks and popcorn at the cinema? I always take mine in with me. Well Coke and Jelly Babies.

I buy Nachos with chilli and cheese.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    It;s ridiculous.And they wonder why so many people download films.Last weeks trip cost us (family of 4) £90.

How much of that was tickets? I agree that 3D ticket prices are a bit steep but it's a premium product and you can't (for now anyway) get anything like the same experience by downloading.

On the other hand anyone who pays cinema prices for food and drink needs their head examining. You don't need to eat and drink in the cinema and you can get better refreshments for less at a nearby café.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, it might be where I live but it cost me, my Cousin and his kids (3) 36 quid so I do worry about you guys paying that much when I think 5 of us for 36 is mental.

I remember when it was 2 quid LOL
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What the hell did you spend £90 on:eek:Hope you were'nt buying big tubs of Ben & Jerry's:p
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Almost £50 for the full 3d showing.£16 per adult for sofa style seats.It wasn't even worth a quarter of what we paid.I'd rather stay at home,have our own snacks and smoke when I want to.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Almost £50 for the full 3d showing.£16 per adult for sofa style seats.It wasn't even worth a quarter of what we paid.I'd rather stay at home,have our own snacks and smoke when I want to.

A covered banquette at my local cinema is only a fiver.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I normally go to the pound shop and get 2 bottles of coke for a quid and take in some mints or chewing gum. (less wrapper noise) which works out a lot cheaper.

Some cinemas are clamping down on that by asking you to open your bag so they can look inside. Being a bloke I've escaped that. I normally put the bottles in my back pockets with my jacket hanging over them and walk straight in.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odeon Leicester Sq. Evenings and weekends: £19, £14.50, £13.50

Weekday screenings before 2pm: £14, £10, £9.

****ing crazy.
  • jamesdeanukjamesdeanuk Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: That's shocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally go to the pound shop and get 2 bottles of coke for a quid and take in some mints or chewing gum. (less wrapper noise) which works out a lot cheaper.

Some cinemas are clamping down on that by asking you to open your bag so they can look inside. Being a bloke I've escaped that. I normally put the bottles in my back pockets with my jacket hanging over them and walk straight in.

You legend! :D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What cinema was that? I'll make a note to avoid it!
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At one time going to the cinema used to be a cheap nite out not now .!.i agree we are paying for the stars ridiculous wages !...the only way to change things is to not go and wait for the DVD !.......
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: That's shocking.

i agree! and checking people bags for food is like big brother!...if we all say no and boycott the cinemas that do that they will have to change there rules or close down due to lack of punters!.....dont let them win!
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is insane. I find it expensive alone so I'd hate to think what a family of 4 of 5 would pay.

I really don't blame people for downloading films - it serves them right!

So grateful for my Cineworld card.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I have zero sympathy for people who pay for food in the cinema.

If you're that stupid, you deserve to be ripped off.

You don't have to have food in the cinema - you're going to watch a film, not eat a bloody meal.

[/rant]
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't have to have food in the cinema - you're going to watch a film, not eat a bloody meal.

[/rant]

That is actually a fair point, when / why did eating become associated with watching a film?
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my local cinema. Comfortable chairs, huge screens and £2.50 all day, all movies (including 3D) on a Thursday.
  • Shameless :)Shameless :) Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I don't like going the cinema anyway.

Crap !
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[/rant]
    That is fair enough, I guess I just like it. I do usually take my own drink, but you can't easily smuggle in popcorn.