Sometimes less isn't more....

occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,347
Forum Member
Inspired by a thread in "movies" about 1st class cinemas, I started thinking of areas of life where cost control etc has led to a worse experience. 3 come to mind:

- lack of usher(ettes) in cinemas - no one to control the talkers etc and I miss the kia-ora/ice cream lady who came round! :)

- The dearth of park keepers. Parks were looked after, well kept, and they stopped the bad behaviour. They've gone, and parks are mostly (with some notable excpetions) now big fields rather than places to go and walk and look.

- Bus conductors - every bus had them at one time. It made sense to let the driver drive and the conductor look after the rest of us!

Must be others though :)

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lack of good old fashioned village bobbies, who knew everyone by name, were regularly seen pedalling around on their bicycle, always told you the time when you asked them and who weren't afraid to give ne'er do wells a good clip round the ear.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    - lack of usher(ettes) in cinemas - no one to control the talkers etc and I miss the kia-ora/ice cream lady who came round! :)

I miss these too .... Sometimes the kids can really ruin a movie for someone !!!

I don't ever remember a kia-ora lady !!
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,347
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I don't ever remember a kia-ora lady !!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: That was the big treat as a kid - the lady (it always was a lady) who came out with a tray full of kia-ora cartons and walls ice cream tubs for you to buy :)

Still do it at my local theatre in the interval between acts - no kia-ora though, these days its hagen daz! :(