Roooney's red card - implications?

jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
Forum Member
What a tail.

Assuming a 3 game ban, that rules him out of the entire group stage of the finals. If we get a tough draw is it worth contemplating leaving him out of the squad for the finals altogether?

Better to have all your players able to make a contribution than to take one who won't be able to play until the knockout phase, if we even make it that far, and leave us a man short in the squad for the group games. There's every chance we could get an injury or two to a striker in the first couple of games which could really leave us struggling to get out of the group.

I'm old enough to remember England gambling on taking two top but unfit strikers to the World Cup in 1982, who were only able to play a short part in the final game, and it was a lack of goals that stopped us getting further.

Comments

• DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better hang on and make sure we qualify first!
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Actually now I hope I didn't speak too soon, and Montenegro don't grab another goal! That would mean Rooney missing both legs of the play-offs if it comes to that...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep leave it 3 minutes before any replies lol

i could say he was told to do it but....................
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    5live saying he will definitely miss the next game and it could be increased to 3 games.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes sense now to drop Rooney till after the Euro's as he can't play in the group stages so better to try other strikers out in the friendlies and get them games.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually at a loss why he did it. I know he's hot headed but there wasn't anything going on to be hot headed about. He didn't seem to lose his temper in any event. Most odd.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Rooney make a bet with his dad to throw the game? Better check if Rooney Snr had a 2-2 draw bet on at Ladbrokes...
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cue the posts saying that England drew because on him, the defence still had all the players. He,s still a tool for getting sent of though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Did Rooney make a bet with his dad to throw the game? Better check if Rooney Snr had a 2-2 draw bet on at Ladbrokes...

This. :P

How dodgy does it look with the all the match fixing crap going on this week...
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UEFA determine the length of his ban, could be 1 game, could be more.
  • SoulpuncherSoulpuncher Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney should never have played under these circumstances.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only we had a proven world-class English striker with say 40 international goals to his name - it would be even better if some of these goals were in tournaments against top opposition like Brazil, Argentina etc.
    If only.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll be fresh for at least the 2nd game if not he'll be unleashed in the QF's.

No need to panic over this and have the usual mass hysteria.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Why are yellow cards and suspensions carried over until the finals? Wouldn't it make more sense for all teams to start with a clean slate at Euro 2012?

I looked for a thread on this game at half time and I was surprised that no one had started one.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave Rooney out in order to get through the groups? What? It's not like you can only bring 11 players.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arshavin got 2 games for kicking someone in the last qualifier he played for Euro 2008. So, it'll be 2 games methinks.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    He'll be fresh for at least the 2nd game if not he'll be unleashed in the QF's.

No need to panic over this and have the usual mass hysteria.

If they get to quarters I am not so sure they will come out of the groups as the Euros tend to be a higher standard than the WC
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, Rooney's red card is immaterial. England will just be making up the numbers in Euro 2012 and will be incredibly lucky to make it out of the group phase, especially with the mediocrity of Barry, Parker and Downing in midfield.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    UEFA determine the length of his ban, could be 1 game, could be more.

well it was a sraight red card, so I'm guessing violant conduct so i'll be surprised if it's anything less than a 2 game ban, i. I think it's very unlikely it will be a 3 game ban. if it did turn out to be a 3 game ban then you have to to questioning whether Rooney. should even be picked for the squad.
  • belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Implications??? That the bloody press will be talking about this story for the next month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Not defending Rooney but it will provide the media and the England team the perfect smokescreen for another horrible performance.

England have no chance of winning anything under this current regime.
  • jonboy35jonboy35 Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here we go , lets hammer wayne rooney.

yes it is a red card and yes he is stupid for what he did , but thats is it was stupid, if you watch what he did , he said sorry to the ref after he did it , he knew straight away he did wrong. lets just leave him now, but no , its wayne rooney, so lets hammer him.

and jamie redknapp can f### off. he is so biased , as he is a liverpool fan.

if this was steven gerrard, or , any other player jamie would not be like this.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Let's face it, Rooney's red card is immaterial. England will just be making up the numbers in Euro 2012 and will be incredibly lucky to make it out of the group phase, especially with the mediocrity of Barry, Parker and Downing in midfield.

Oh right. Who did we draw in the groups?
  • belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonboy35 wrote: »
    here we go , lets hammer wayne rooney.

yes it is a red card and yes he is stupid for what he did , but thats is it was stupid, if you watch what he did , he said sorry to the ref after he did it , he knew straight away he did wrong. lets just leave him now, but no , its wayne rooney, so lets hammer him.

OH PLEASEEEE. FFS he slags Liverpool off just as much. All he talked about was that the fans didnt give Woy Hodgeson enough time...but anyway this is off topic.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonboy35 wrote: »

Don't forget his cousin is Lampard, so he is immune from criticism from Jamie. ;)